+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bards need changed?

Shadowlander

Default Bards need changed?

I've been reading numerous complaints about the bard's role/purpose in this game. Do you think TRION should revamp them or change their spells to become a more relevant class in the game?

Champion

Im happy with them as they are now, they are a great boost to practically any team, I wouldn't mind a tweak to the mechanics to make them flow a bit better but I wouldn't mind them remaining as is.

Think the main complaints is people wanting them to be main healers, main dps or from another game...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    Im happy with them as they are now, they are a great boost to practically any team, I wouldn't mind a tweak to the mechanics to make them flow a bit better but I wouldn't mind them remaining as is.

Think the main complaints is people wanting them to be main healers, main dps or from another game...
    What souls do you recommend for them and build? I might try one. A lot of people think they should play like bards from other games because of the buffs.

Champion

personally my bard specs always been 51 bard / 15 bladedancer, even before the patch.

maxing out bard because my bard specs there to be a support not a dps, bladedancer I took for the dexterity buff, meant those times where theres heavy caster presence in team me and tank could still get a buff without having to abuse los.

On top of that it also meant I'd have some decent attacks for those times I didn't need to cadence like mad (twinstrike is ace) as well as a snare and a interupt/silence great boons for a support.

Telaran

I believe that Nightblade/Ranger is the most popular choice. 51 points into bard, Nightblade for the increase to non physical damage and minimal/no points in Ranger just so that you use your ranged weapon for Bard skill damage calculations. Peoples problems with them stem from comparisons to Archon builds and the actual gameplay of the class. A Bard has a huge impact in a raid, and a very, very strong impact in an average 5 man group. Their impact in a strong 5 man group isn't quite as noticeable, but it's a solid class.

Gameplay can be uninteresting though, it consists of hitting your 5 motifs every 30 seconds, then going Cadence -> Power Chord or Cadence again -> finisher, ad nauseum. Also, the class doesn't scale very well from gear, which is another major issue for the soul, but I suspect that one will get fixed soon enough. I like support classes, so I find it fun to play myself, but I wouldn't object to some more interesting rotations.

Rift Disciple

Most people complaining about Bard come from a PvE viewpoint (at least I think so).

The issue seems to stem from (common held opinion on these boards - from the loudest people) -

"Sure, we all love the bards motifs. So what do us Bard's bring the other 25 seconds out of 30? Cadence doesn't do damage or heal worth a dang. If we go 51 Bard we don't have enough points to put elsewhere to deal decent damage. So those 25 seconds where us Bards aren't putting up motifs might as will just be spent twiddling our thumbs."

While I do play a 51 point Bard while raiding, I know we do bring a little more then that to the raid. Just that at times, I feel the above comment is too true. Specially if I switch out of the Bard role and go into DPS or Tanking spec.
    That is what most people want changed about the Bard.

....That plus the poor gear scaling issues.

Telaran

I feel the same way. Verse of Joy is nice, but sometimes it feels like it's just too costly to get. If we could spare the points to get up to Heat Retention (and have it apply to heals as well) or at least Lingering Flame in Nightblade I think it would make Bard gameplay a bit more interesting.

Shadowlander

Yea Basically Bards are Boring.....

Especially when looking at bards in other games, Vanguard, EQ2 even Lotro's Minstrel is more fun. I am surprised that a lot of people seem to have their first taste of the bard or support class in Rift, Just my opinion from forums and the game it self.

It would be awesome if we brought more to the table, even if Motifs were 5 mins or more would be great..... My 2 cents.

Champion

for a support role, cadence+coda heals plenty, your there to help top people up and take care of the little damages all over so the main healer can focus on the tank and preserve mana.

If built properly a bard can almost solo heal so "cadence not healing worth a dang" is utter nonsense.

Sure your not cleric/chloro level, but your not a healer your a support.

Telaran

My personal feeling is that everyone loves bards.. include me the few times I get to switch to dps and have bard buffs

My only complaint is that no matter how good my gear is... I will only slightly benefit the guild raids over someone wearing all blues. This is the only thing that needs to be address. Either our healing or our dps needs to be gear scaled while in 51 bard.

just my 2cp.

eidt: 51bard, 8nb, 7bd
    Last edited by Imas; 05-16-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Shield of Telara

Bard right now is extremely boring. We normally stick out lowest dps rogue on bard duty as a punishment.

Life as a bard in raid.

1-5s hit motifs
    6-11s hit Cadence
    12s hit Coda of Cowardice
    13-18s hit Cadence
    19s hit Coda of Distress
    20-25s hit Cadence
    26s hit Coda of Restoration
    27-32s ht motifs
    33-38s hit Cadence
    39s hit Coda of Restoration
    40-45s hit Cadence
    46s hit Coda of Restoration
    47-52s hit Cadence
    53s hit Coda of Restoration
    54-59s hit Cadence
    60s hit Coda of Restoration
    Repeat........

The only other thing a bard does is hit Voice of Joy when the cooldown is called for by the raid leader.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

If Cadence healed more people, and the HP regen was raid wide, they would be much better. Oh and a dps boost.

Champion

bards unimaginitive rotations are the one thing that I would change, though you can still spice it up with soul combos, you dont always have to cadence I often just use keen/quick strikes to 5 then coda and thats enough to fulfil the support healing needed.

I did make some posts ages ago about a way to improve bards without completely changing things but they got lost in the forum somewhere... will have to dig em out some time.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by ixvolt View Post
    If Cadence healed more people, and the HP regen was raid wide, they would be much better. Oh and a dps boost.
    Then complain so that the changes are made!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Imas View Post
    My personal feeling is that everyone loves bards.. include me the few times I get to switch to dps and have bard buffs

My only complaint is that no matter how good my gear is... I will only slightly benefit the guild raids over someone wearing all blues. This is the only thing that needs to be address. Either our healing or our dps needs to be gear scaled while in 51 bard.

just my 2cp.

eidt: 51bard, 8nb, 7bd
    bards rock

+ Reply to Thread