+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Assassinate vs Jagged Strike?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default Assassinate vs Jagged Strike?

    Why do people say Jagged Strike is better?

    With the talent that increases crit chance of assassinate by 50%, wouldn't the flat damage from assassinate be more than the entire Jagged strike DoT?

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Jagged Strike will do a decent amount more damage over its duration than Assassinate. Assassinate is also a ridiculous amount of burst threat as an opener.

    In PvP Assassinate can be great if you know when to use it.

  3. #3
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Prior to 1.2, Assassinate was pretty mediocre. Now it can be absolutely devastating with the right build and the right timing. With enough points into Bladedancer for Deadly Dance and Blade Tempo, I can crit for close to 2k damage with Assassinate at level 42.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HalfMind View Post
    Jagged Strike will do a decent amount more damage over its duration than Assassinate. Assassinate is also a ridiculous amount of burst threat as an opener.

    In PvP Assassinate can be great if you know when to use it.
    So Jagged strike is better for PvE, and Assassinate for PvP?

  5. #5
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    4,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sladeakakevin View Post
    So Jagged strike is better for PvE, and Assassinate for PvP?
    Yup. Especially with points into Physical Trauma for the extended bleed duration. Assassinate is great for PvP and solo grinding/questing. There are times when Jagged Strike would probably make more sense in a PvP environment...it's just not nearly as fun as Assassinate. The trouble with bleeds in PvP is that they can do a lot of damage but they can also be healed through very, very easily.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Jagged Strike is usually the right choice in PvP as well unless your target is already low.

  7. #7
    dmv
    dmv is offline
    Champion of Telara dmv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sladeakakevin View Post
    Why do people say Jagged Strike is better?

    With the talent that increases crit chance of assassinate by 50%, wouldn't the flat damage from assassinate be more than the entire Jagged strike DoT?
    It's situational, neither are better.
    Jagged was much better pre 1.2, now assassinate hits hard enough to warrant use.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I tend to use jagged on healers, kiters and warriors. Assassinate on melee rogues and casters or if I'm jumping on a guy with low hp.

    All depends on situation, but yeah both have their uses.

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Jagged strike still does 2x the dmg of Assassinate. Of course it's a DOT, and sometimes it's nice to have the burst DPS of Assassinate.
    f2p (2013-2014): ZevZevv, Deepwood, Defiant, Rogue
    Pre-f2p (2011): Zeven, Spitescar, Guardian, Rogue

  10. #10
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sladeakakevin View Post
    Why do people say Jagged Strike is better?

    With the talent that increases crit chance of assassinate by 50%, wouldn't the flat damage from assassinate be more than the entire Jagged strike DoT?
    Also remember jagged strike also benefits from the 50% crit talent.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freida View Post
    I tend to use jagged on healers, kiters and warriors. Assassinate on melee rogues and casters or if I'm jumping on a guy with low hp.

    All depends on situation, but yeah both have their uses.
    /agree

    10char

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara Pipra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sladeakakevin View Post
    Why do people say Jagged Strike is better?

    With the talent that increases crit chance of assassinate by 50%, wouldn't the flat damage from assassinate be more than the entire Jagged strike DoT?
    Advanced Flanking increases the crit chance of Jagged Strike by the same amount as it does for Assassinate.

    The advantage of Jagged Strike is that when you open it with it, those DoTs are going to keep ticking even if you are CC'd, Ranged, or even Dead. Apply a good cycle of Jagged Strike, Puncture, and Impale and then Slip Away while those Dots tick. Once your target is weakened, you can open back up with Assassinate to finish the job.

  13. #13
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    164

    Default

    There isn't anything more fun than getting deadly dance up, slipping away, then nailing a mage or rogue with an assassinate > serpent strike.

    That being said, I usually use jagged strike as an initial opener on any target...unless I know I can kill them in a few seconds.

  14. #14
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipra View Post
    Advanced Flanking increases the crit chance of Jagged Strike by the same amount as it does for Assassinate.

    The advantage of Jagged Strike is that when you open it with it, those DoTs are going to keep ticking even if you are CC'd, Ranged, or even Dead. Apply a good cycle of Jagged Strike, Puncture, and Impale and then Slip Away while those Dots tick. Once your target is weakened, you can open back up with Assassinate to finish the job.
    That's the answer right there. Surprised it took this long to get it out. DoTs keep your target in combat while you get out of it.

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pipra View Post
    Advanced Flanking increases the crit chance of Jagged Strike by the same amount as it does for Assassinate.

    The advantage of Jagged Strike is that when you open it with it, those DoTs are going to keep ticking even if you are CC'd, Ranged, or even Dead. Apply a good cycle of Jagged Strike, Puncture, and Impale and then Slip Away while those Dots tick. Once your target is weakened, you can open back up with Assassinate to finish the job.
    Sounds pretty logical and very nice idea to follow. I can dig it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts