+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger PVP... do i stand a chance.

Soulwalker

Default Ranger PVP... do i stand a chance.

Why is it in these mmo games like wow and rift... some @^#%$ feels the need to make a class whose damage output is based on how close someone is standing to you.

really? were still stuck with this simpleton idea that i cant point blank shoot someone in the face with my bow? They need to be 3 metres away for my skills to work? wtf

So i enjoy the ranger class PVE... im running around the world blasting stuff up.. THEN i accidently get auto flagged and low and behold its ANY OTHER CLASS... what do they do.. come stand on me chase me around follow me.. simply stay close enough that ALL MY FN SKILLS get shut down... REALLY?????

I cant HEAD SHOT? O wait... i cant splinter shot, quick shot, shadow fire, crippling shot, piercing shot or do @#%$ but stand there and DIE.....

CMON REALLY??? IS MY DPS THAT UBER THAT THE GIMIC TO KILLING ME IS STANDING NEAR ME?
    CAUSE IM NOT KILLING ANYONE BEFORE THEY GET TO ME!!!!!!

SERIOUSLY FN ZERO OUT THE RANGE FOR SKILLS ON THIS CLASS.... THIS IDEA IS BS!!

Either play MM and talent for it or sub-spec for better mobility. I play ranger most of the time for PvP, and I'm rarely being sat on.

Soulwalker

The answer shouldnt be play another class or spec differently. Right now im ranger/bard and i like my spec it suits my playstyle, i shouldnt have to sacrifice that based on some ridiculous notion that a bow wont fire if your standing closer than 3 feet to me.

Rift Disciple

this is actually easy to solve, and I think it will work for you

with a ranger/bard spec nightblade is excellent for the 15% damage to combo builders and the 9% damage to spell damage like cadence

if you do choose nighblade make this macro

cast Blazing strike
    cast Head shot

when in melee range you will use blazing strike, at a distance you will use headshot

you can also make a macro for

cast Primal strike
    cast Piercing shot
    cast Quick shot

that one will melee when they are close, and use piercing shot whenever it is off cooldown

hope that helps you

Telaran

Did you unbind your movement keys?

If not, then I would suggest using them in conjunction with your snares and other attacks in order to get range.

Maybe use the melee abilities from one of the other trees until you get range.

Maybe use the mobility abilities from one of the other trees to get range.

Maybe use the point-blank ranged attack from the other ranged tree (Swift Shot is 0-30 yards).

Rift Disciple

Well its called Ranger , if its close combat its called Melee.

Every class has its strenghts and weakness, the melee guys can say hey why cant we throw our sword at that ranger. (some can but again they have other weakness).
    Or why do i have to face my target i can swing my sword backwards.
    In 1.2 its already much better, you can use all abilities at close combat if you spec into it, i didn't know it has a 3 meter radius but hey its already better, and if you move a little 3 meters is easy to get.

You and others just cannot expect to have all the same abbilities, thats why there are different classes and sub classes, why else make them if they would be the same?
    There will always be better classes, but even more importent there will be people who are good with there class and people less good ( i will not say worse ).

For example:
    I'm trying to get a rogue melee spec, and reading on the forums learned me a lot, with the same spec i can have a good dps or a bad one, and that only depends on when i use what abbility.
    Browse the forums and learn about rotation's , openers etc. it makes a big difference.

The tip with the macro's should help you already get on your way.

For any mistake in grammer i have to say sorry, im on nightshift and need some sleep :-)

Rift Disciple

There are some variations to work around "not being able to damage in melee range"

The obvious solutions are

a) use marksman as second soul (26 points required for the talent)
    b) use in combination with a melee soul (i.e. nightblade

or just deal with the "negative" aspect of ranger with his minimum range.

I'm tempted to try Rng/MM/x for a round, but havent time to work all out and test it, but i may do sometime.

I would go sth like 26MM/30+/-RNG/xNB, because you gain a lot of stuff with 26 marksman, not just CQC.
    On the Double is neat for Ranger too, a lot of talents are based on "ranged attacks" so they improve ranger abilities too. Deaden is a nice utility tool against casters.
    You would have to rotate through ranger and mm abilities dependding on situation (Swift and hasted shot for kiting).

Dunno how much the wolf can mess around with his 30 % healing reduction in combination with your damage + silence.

Getaway + Escape artist are sure a nice combo, but in the end it have to be tested if the damage potential and the mobility with the pet in addition are enough to for the things you have to give up.

(imo there isnt much in the ranger sould after 30/31 points anyway besides pin down, but you get that ability single target out of Marksman and then diffuse is a nice defensive cooldown, as is the 51er for offensive, but i think the ranger is too dependand on range, so the marksman talents come in more handy)

Champion of Telara

1.2 pretty much killed my ranger PvP, and I'm not all that happy about it. I'm kind of shocked about it, because I honestly hated having to rely on pet and not being able to stealth that well with a pet hanging out, but it was actually the best overall PvP spec 1.1.

Trion claims to have buffed Rangers in 1.2, but that is plain out BS. I got nerfed pretty hardcore. The change they made to shadow fire is supposed to be a buff. You cast it and you get 35% more damage for 25 seconds. Sounds awesome right?

Wrong. Why? Because they reduced the damage output of the other abilities at the same time without mentioning it. Overall it's still a gain, but for my spec, which was all about building up to a damage roll for burst, it killed me.

Because you constantly have to stop and cast that 2 second shot every 25 seconds, and if you don't then your damage is CRAP. My entire spec became completely reliant on 1 ability and without it I have crap damage. And of course, with all the purge going on now it's also easy to shut me down.

And my spec already had other building things. I was ranger/nightblade(32 for fellblades), so my spec was all about building up things. Have to build up fiery spike and get it rolling(and keep it up). For max DPS, I have to Head Shot my first 5 CP, and then build up another 5 pts(1 of which is to refresh fiery) and hit scourge of darkness. It was then and only then that I started to get burst damage with all that stuff adding up. No big numbers, but lots of medium numbers.

Enter in shadow fire and it's turned it into a nightmare. It's freaking high energy cost, 50 energy AND a 2 second cast time. Guess what this means in PvP? It means I have to sit there and wait for the 50 energy to build up(2.5 seconds if empty), and then I have another 2 seconds to cast. So 4.5 seconds it takes just to refresh this ability every 25 seconds.

The shadow fire "buff" ruined PvP for rangers. And to be honest, I'm not all that happy with it for PvE either. In the end, after you take into account the nerf to damage(I read it was 15% less), you end up with an overall 10% buff to damage. Sounds nice, until you come to realize the defacto 5 second cast time every 25 seconds.

Not to mention MM will purge you like crazy and everything you do is based on buffs.

You might as well just go MM. No pet, better at kiting, debuffs, longer range, and more burst. You can pop hit and run and then instant cast empowered and deadeye and pretty much take someone out quick with the burst, and the rest of the time damage isn't so bad either.

Well I'm ranger and have hit and run + those other skills too.

+ Reply to Thread