+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LF: Tank build for instances/rifts

Default LF: Tank build for instances/rifts

There are lot of PvP/PvE builds circulation this forum. I however looking for a build and preferably some strategy for a tank build for rogue. What should I put points in Riftstalker and Bard, and in what priority. Links or post are both welcome, anything that will help

Thanks!

Rift Chaser

One of the best overall is 51 pts Riftstalker with 8 Bladedancer and 7 ranger like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MV_N.x0d..xb

For group pulls Shadow Blitz in, pop a 2-3 pt Riftguard, then a 2-3 point Guarded Steel and then 2-3 point False Blade. After that just refresh those three finishers with the priority Rift Guard > Guarded Steel > False Blade. You dont have to worry about having 5pt finishers all the time except for riftguard (after the first one) because the only thing you are affecting is the duration of the buff and not its strength. Macro in Reprisal to you combo point builders so it will autocast every time its up. If it is a particularly tough pull pop Sidesteps or planar refuge as soon as you shift in.
    Last edited by Noburu; 05-15-2011 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Plane Touched

There are a few common tank builds for a rogue:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.xb is the most common, great all rounder.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.xh is considered the "Beginner" build since it gives the most health (For when you make a mistake) and passive mitigation (Less spike damage from dodge streaks and less damage taken)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dV.EItIuqdRkkR I've seen this build being used for the interrupt/silence and extra Dexterity (Which means more dodge) less passive mitigation but making casters easier to fight makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    There are a few common tank builds for a rogue:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.xb is the most common, great all rounder.
    I use this one Ive tanked T2s and in GSB

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.xh is considered the "Beginner" build since it gives the most health (For when you make a mistake) and passive mitigation (Less spike damage from dodge streaks and less damage taken)
    Use this one if you are just starting to get geared up otherwise use the other one.
    "Wars are not acts of God. They are caused by man, by man-made institutions, by the way in which man has organized his society. What man has made, man can change." Frederick Moore Vinson
    Ill make the basters bleed!!!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Warro View Post
    I use this one Ive tanked T2s and in GSB

Use this one if you are just starting to get geared up otherwise use the other one.
    What do you think marks the tipping point when you transition to the other? Is it a certain amount of toughness, HP, overall stats, quality of your healer?

Quote Originally Posted by Noburu View Post
    One of the best overall is 51 pts Riftstalker with 8 Bladedancer and 7 ranger like this:

For group pulls Shadow Blitz in, pop a 2-3 pt Riftguard, then a 2-3 point Guarded Steel and then 2-3 point False Blade. After that just refresh those three finishers with the priority Rift Guard > Guarded Steel > False Blade. You dont have to worry about having 5pt finishers all the time except for riftguard (after the first one) because the only thing you are affecting is the duration of the buff and not its strength. Macro in Reprisal to you combo point builders so it will autocast every time its up. If it is a particularly tough pull pop Sidesteps or planar refuge as soon as you shift in.
    Thanks alot for the detailed info! I'll start with the beginner build to learn the ropes. Also atm. I'm level 32, should I focus on on RS tree and some bard to begin with?

Shadowlander

Just minor point. During openers, it's better to pop Guarded Steel first over Riftguard because plane shifting will place a riftguard like buff on you, which does not stack. You want the guarded steel mitigation ASAP over riftguard since you have some breathing room to apply riftguard.
    Last edited by Makix; 05-15-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Marne View Post
    What do you think marks the tipping point when you transition to the other? Is it a certain amount of toughness, HP, overall stats, quality of your healer?
    Honestly, both are good builds, and if you want to really focus on tanking, it'd probably be a good idea to have both available. But, picking just one or the other is fine if you can't spare the role slots.

The "beginner" build isn't really "beginner", it's just a build that's focused on effective health and damage mitigation. Your HP will be higher and you will take less damage overall, and your damage profile will be smoother. Although this is definitely better when you're just getting into dungeons, ultimately it's good for any time your healer is a little shaky, because it eases their job. If I had to pick a hard line for it, I'd say you can probably transition away from this when you're ready to seriously get into Tier 1 dungeons.

The other build is a more threat-oriented build. You lose some effective health and mitigation, and in turn you gain avoidance and threat (thanks to Strike Back and Reprisal). This one is good for when your healer is pretty solid, and your focus needs to be more on keeping threat as DPS get better and better gear, and their damage starts scaling up. A DPS decked out in Tier 2 gear is going to be doing almost twice as much damage as a fresh 50, so your threat will need to scale upward as well.

Avoidance is a fickle mistress. When it works, it works beautifully -- dodging a swing means you take 0 damage. But when it doesn't work, you eat the full damage of that swing to the face. This makes your damage profile 'spiky'; you'll sit at full health for a while with your dodges, but then you'll catch a bad streak of luck and eat several hits, and your health drops fast. A solid healer can compensate for this, but a healer that's not as well geared or not as comfortable healing will have a hard time handling unpredictable damage spikes.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Makix View Post
    Just minor point. During openers, it's better to pop Guarded Steel first over Riftguard because plane shifting will place a riftguard like buff on you, which does not stack. You want the guarded steel mitigation ASAP over riftguard since you have some breathing room to apply riftguard.
    This is generally true, but not always so. At 51 points in rift stalker, Rift Barrier (the Plane Shifting shield) is 15% damage reduction, while Rift Guard is 35%. In most cases, you're fine with Barrier, and should put up Guarded Steel first for the threat -- and definitely before your second Rift Disturbance. But there are certain pulls or bosses that will spike you really hard, and in those cases it's better to pick up the extra 20% absorb from Rift Guard first.

Rift Chaser

I would never pop guarded steel first over rift guard. Pretty sure any raiding tank worth his salt will tell you the same. Late game, rift barrier is simply not enough mitigation and it is only there to give you a couple extra seconds to get rift guard up. The difference in mitigation for a 51pt Riftstalker is huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Those americans...Everytime there is a blackout, they all start luting.

Champion

I would never pop guarded steel first over rift guard. Pretty sure any raiding tank worth his salt will tell you the same. Late game, rift barrier is simply not enough mitigation and it is only there to give you a couple extra seconds to get rift guard up. The difference in mitigation for a 51pt Riftstalker is huge.
    For non raid trash rift barrier is more than enough to keep you up while you put up all your buffs, guarded steel you want up for the threat increase, keeping all the mobs on you and taking a bit more damage is better than taking less damage but having mobs hit your healers and other squishies.

but as I say, you should only consider doing this on non raid trash, bosses you want your guard up asap as you dont have to worry too much about single target threat generation, and raid trash hits hard enough to warrant guard before steel and generally requires your group to wait a darn moment while the tank sets up. (or roll with 2 tanks to make it so easy)

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help, doing fine as a tank so far.

Also wanted to link this extensive Riftstalker Takning Guide for anyone who stumble on to this post

Soulwalker

i am not a pro-tank but my beginning is mostly 1 or 2 shots from ranger, then shadow attack, so i ve already 3 CP available

+ Reply to Thread