+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard Leveling?

Default Bard Leveling?

How much worse is Bard leveling than, say, Ranger main? Anyone have a build they enjoyed for solo play (Rifts (elites), questing, etc)?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    How much worse is Bard leveling than, say, Ranger main? Anyone have a build they enjoyed for solo play (Rifts (elites), questing, etc)?

Thanks.
    I have been full bard spec from the start (just stopped points at 34).

So I am gimpy, but able to slowly kill.

How slow? Well let me give you some perspective. At lvl 31 (31 into bard) I was able to kill a lvl 17 elite foothold that had just over 10000 hp. The video recorder only holds 10 minutes, and it took over that to kill it. I was able to kill it, and all the series of adds that respawned because dps is so pitiful.

Not a QQ, if you want DPS that is why for 30 gold you buy another role and spec it for dps.

Point is, bards are viable to solo but dont expect dps from a support spec. This is the core of rift that so many folks fail to grasp.

Yes I can bard, I know my bard, but I am a rogue and I can become a Ranger (or Sabo in my case) in 2 seconds to wang chang if thats what is needed.

Bard itself alone is challenging to play as a start. Alone is the key here. Make friends, or drift from public rift/invasion group to another an you will see how much your bard heals/helps everyone as a whole.

*short winded answer, killing mobs before they get to you is more effective then healing through the damage.*
    Last edited by Momolicious; 05-15-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    "Good players can make themselves useful, but huge efforts should not be made to attain levels of use that others can accomplish with far less effort because their class was designed more intelligently." -- Ancient Rites
    I for one welcome our new bard overlords...

Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post

Thanks.
    It's very slow, and I would suggest Ranger instead. If you are on a PvP server I wouldn't suggest leveling bard at all, unless you want to die all the time. Definitely switch to bard for rifts and invasions though.

Thanks for the feedback!

Also, huge props for Mario throwback avatar.

Rift Disciple

I leveled as bard/ranger, and mostly used bard skills for AE and ranger skills for single target. With the pet heal running + motifs + cadence you can pretty easily heal the pet with 5 or 6 mobs on it, and take them down with the AE coda whose name I forget for a moment. I had a few rough lvls in the low 30s where I had to choose between losing a substantial amount of healing or not having the greater razorbeast. Elites are more of a gamble than deep ranger. With virtuoso, they're easy to take down, but when that's down it can get a little hectic and I sometimes need to quick summon a replacement pet partway through.

Flev

+ Reply to Thread