+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions on Planar Attraction and threat in general.

Rift Chaser

Default Questions on Planar Attraction and threat in general.

Hi, new tank here. I had a few questions about threat and Planar Attraction, if any expert tanks would be so kind to answer.

The first is about threat in general:

Does anyone know if the threat you generate fade over time if no action is made by anyone? Does threat decrease by a certain amount if an enemy does damage to you? Does existing threat never fade until you or the monster dies?

The next is about Planar Attraction:

We know that it forces up to 5 mobs within range to attack you. But how does it prioritize which mobs to attract in the event that there are more than 5 mobs, and some are attacking you and some are not?

1. Five completely random mobs within range?
    2. The five closest mobs to you?
    3. The five furthest mobs from you (as long as they're within range)?
    4. Five mobs which are not attacking you (the "ones going for the mages")?
    5. The five mobs that are lowest on your threat list?

Thanks for the help. Answers to these questions would help me know how to use PA more effectively.

Plane Touched

Threat does not decay over time, as soon as you start building threat it stays until the mob dies, you wipe, a bug causes the encounter to reset or a mechanic that erases threat tables occurs.

Planar Attraction appears to take the 5 closest to you. (I haven't paid too much attention to it, though I do know that every time I use it the guys at the edge are always left there, running after a squishy or throwing fireballs in my face)

Rift Disciple

In my experience it has been the 5 closest as well.

Also, a mob will drop aggro on you if no changes are made to its thread against you for like 1 or 2 minutes. Probably a safe-guard in case something gets stuck somewhere. Think you also need to be "such-and-such" distance from it too.

Honestly I rarely use Planar Attraction for threat, its more of a positioning tool. That said, bringing a group of casters together so you can AoE threat more efficiently is nice. I've never liked "taunt" type abilities. I feel this game is lacking the EQ-type taunt, but then again its lacking the EQ-type damage system where a boss mob can potentially 1-hit KO the best of tanks because armor gives you a chance to mitigate, not flat mitigation. Having 5 tanks on stand-by wouldn't really play out well in this sort of game. And in case anyone is wondering what I'm refering to: EQ taunt gave you hate + 1 or whatever, essentially it piggy-backed you to the most current threat level for keeps - not temporary. So a tank can get rezzed up, buffed up and taunt himself back up to the top hatelist.

Rift Chaser

Thanks for the responses.

Yeah, I understand that PA doesn't generate any threat itself, it simply forces the mobs to attack you for 3 seconds. PA pulling in the 5 closest mobs is kinda meh. =/ Would be much more useful if the mechanics made it prioritize to attract mobs that aren't focused on you first, then mobs furthest from you, then mobs with lowest threat level. That would make Planar Attraction much more attractive. Pun intended. :P

+ Reply to Thread