+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger constantly winning aggrieved from pet

Soulwalker

Default Ranger constantly winning aggrieved from pet

How do I rectify this problem?

Would like to play range damage but when I am soloing the mobs regularly attack me and ignore the pet.

Plane Touched

Are you using the Razorbeast (The pig)?

If you are then aggro shouldn't be a problem, if you're not then that would be why.

Also for multiple targets (Or if you had to resummon your pet) then Divert Rage is an awesome ability (The next 6 seconds of your attacks give all their threat to your pet) especially when combined with AoE skills.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Taril View Post
    Are you using the Razorbeast (The pig)?

If you are then aggro shouldn't be a problem, if you're not then that would be why.

Also for multiple targets (Or if you had to resummon your pet) then Divert Rage is an awesome ability (The next 6 seconds of your attacks give all their threat to your pet) especially when combined with AoE skills.
    Thanks for the advice, I will try it later.

Alot of people go MM and assume the normal Razorbeast does the job.
    It will, until a certain point where the Greater Razorbeast becomes mandatory (30+).

At such a point, or likely even before that, the razorbeast becomes useless for aggro management as an MM or any other role other then Ranger, who get an improved version of the Razorbeast.

If however you are a Ranger, have you bought the new ranks of the razorbeasts? their levels are tier with ranks you buy from the rogue trainer.
    If so, is your taunt on? + Using Divert Rage on a group of mobs will almost always keep your aggro on the pet.
    Last edited by Bomojo; 05-14-2011 at 03:08 AM.

At 30+ you should stop using ranger either way, in favor of bd/rs.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Bomojo View Post
    Alot of people go MM and assume the normal Razorbeast does the job.
    It will, until a certain point where the Greater Razorbeast becomes mandatory (30+).

At such a point, or likely even before that, the razorbeast becomes useless for aggro management as an MM or any other role other then Ranger, who get an improved version of the Razorbeast.

If however you are a Ranger, have you bought the new ranks of the razorbeasts? their levels are tier with ranks you buy from the rogue trainer.
    If so, is your taunt on? + Using Divert Rage on a group of mobs will almost always keep your aggro on the pet.
    Hi bomojo

Thanks for the input. What do u mean by "is your taunt on?"

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Yes, by all means he should stop playing the class he wants to play and listen to your expert advice. I love the idiots who feel the need to post on every topic.

Anyhow, you have to turn on the RB's quill attack on your pet's action bar, which acts as an aoe attack and taunt. I have also found that divert rage works better the closer you are to your pet. I'm sure it's not the optimal build, but I've specced into close quarters combat, which let's me keep shooting at melee when my pet loses aggro on a mob.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by B1adeSinger View Post
    Anyhow, you have to turn on the RB's quill attack on your pet's action bar, which acts as an aoe attack and taunt. .. .
    Finally I think I have found the missing link!! Thank you!!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
    Some people prefer ranged or differing play styles, just so you know. And no, not either way. Rangers can chain pull mobs like no other. They are great for leveling and can solo elites well. I go through one attack rotation and the standard mob is pretty much dead or dying. Never have to stop to drink ever. It's effective, fast, and easy.

As for aggro concerns, make sure you trained up your pet, or have talents in the greater pets once you get to that level. Use the transfer threat to your pet talent, followed by pet heal and attacks, should give your pet aggro quickly. I like to save this for aoe pulls.

Soulwalker

Razor Quills on it own does not generate very much aggro. Make sure you are using the greater form of the piggy if you are 30+ and be careful about healing your pet mid combat and also using AoE abilties like trick shot/rain of arrows. All of these pretty much quickly begin generating more aggro than the pet can maintain on off-targets.

A couple of tricks I like to use as a level 47 mm/range/sin are sharing the damage being taken with my pet. Ie choosing a target my pet isn't targeting and making it attack me so my pet lives longer and also standing MUCH closer to the group of mobs so that I can use my pets targets as a jumping point for trick shot and manage to still effectively use trick shot's aoe along with awesome aoe finisher that is concussive blast.

You can also try healing your pet before sending it into combat so that the heal is ticking as it starts taking damage. I've noticed this generates considerably less aggro for me if it doesn't completely eliminate it. also consider adding this macro to your most used/spammed skills;

#show SKILL
    supressmacrofailures
    petcast Razor Quills
    cast SKILL

This works best if can manipulate the mobs in a way that they are very close to you and your pet but outside of YOUR melee range (not your pets.)

TLDR: Just practice bro, it'll come to you.

Soulwalker

Cool Pet Aggro

Hiya all.
    I am so glad to find a post about this! I am having the same problem now, (I am a level 31 and my pet is a level 30 Razorbeast) however I want to let you know how it affected me in this strange way. I've been level 31 for about two days and so far all aggro has been on my pet. However, yesterday Rift informs me that some data is corrupted and to use the recover option, which is good in a way bcause I noticed some gliches prevously in play. This I did and since then all aggro is on me! Whereas before I could attack an NPC of a certain level and they would centre its attention onto my pet . Now though, attacking that same level NPC it chooses to go for me instead, which is really frustraiting as I have not spent points to gain Greater Razorbeast yet and I'm pretty sure I've trained up Hogwash to max level available for my level. My only thinking is that during the recover process is fix a glich that had stuck the NPC's attacking my pet. Of course I shall try everything on here that was prevously suggested, but I got so worked up last night that I submitted a bug report and a GM support issue to Trion. I'll keep you lot posted on if it is a bug of some form, though right now I feel a bit of an *** submitting that report! Hey ho!

+ Reply to Thread