+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rogue combo points should work like warrior attack points.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySight View Post
    I like this, as long as on my Stormcaller Electrified and Ice Shear are sell buffs, not debuffs

You know, because when I have to switch targets I lose alot of damage
    This, and possibly make the ground of power buff follow me too. The ground doesn't need the buff, I do.

While Trion is looking at combat resources, how about reworking Charge to be less wasteful and less clunky to use. Toggling charge abilities for optimal damage, while interesting, aggravates my carpel-tunnel. Thanks.
    Cataclysm broke WoW, but resilience will fix it!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySmurf View Post
    There is really no reason why rogues should have to build combo points on one target instead of building them on themselves. Having to stay on one target to build all five points and maximize dps is a major disadvantage of the class.

From a design perspective, a rogue can lose a lot of damage if its target dies before it can build up five combo points, and whenever a rogue has to switch targets they lose all their points and that sacrifices a lot of damage as well.

For example, when a tank needs to build threat on multiple targets, I often get aggro if I stay on the same target while the tank is switching between targets to get threat up. If I switch targets to whichever one the tank is attacking, there goes my combo points.

From a gameplay perspective, it makes sense that a rogue would gain points based on what they do to themselves rather than what they do to the enemy. If a rogue is doing a combination of abilities, it shouldn't matter what target they are hitting, as long as they keep hitting a target.

Think of games like God of War, Kratos builds combos why landing consecutive hits on any target, not just the same target. That makes much more sense to me.

So i suggest that rogues build combo points on themselves instead of their targets, so that the points can crossover to multiple targets if they need to, like warrior attack points. Also it would make sense if combo points went away after 10-15 seconds of inactivity, because it's not really a combo if you wait 15 seconds to do something.
    And if the target dies before the rogue builds his/her combo points....isnt that a good thing? I mean who cares about lost damage because a mob dies "too soon"? The class is very competitive as it stands right now. Make this change and it will be OP and people will call for nerfs to more than eradicate. How would you adjust the dps of the class downward to compensate for the increase that this change would bring? Oh.....you would not, would you? Sorry....I dont agree with your premise here at all, not without some adjustment on dps output to make up for it.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malingers View Post
    Really? Whats the advantage to having them be on your target rather than on you?
    Perhaps that is NOT the advantage of the rogue class. But....high dps output without having to max out combo points on a target is? He didnt say that having combo points on the target was an advantage he said there are advantages and disadvantages to playing either class. You arent suggesting that combo points are ALL that rogues have in their arsenal are you?

I agree, please give warriors a 1 second GCD because rogue has one, and it is only fair that both of these classes are exactly the same in every regard, like the OP suggests. Also please give my warrior 3 immunities and an 80% damage reduction talent. Also please give my warrior a tree with 6 blinks, thank you.

Ascendant

You chain attacks to create an exploitable opening in your opponents defenses to deal a deadly attack to a weak point.

Why the hell would all of your careful feinting carry over to some guy on the other side of the room?

You do understand thats the underlying principle of the combo point system

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malingers View Post
    Really? Whats the advantage to having them be on your target rather than on you?
    The person you quoted offered an answer to your question in the same post you're quoting. Do try to read posts in their entirety if you're gonna quote them.
    Recap: Making it possible to design mechanisms based on number of combo points at time of death, such as self heal.
    Another suggestion: Making it possible to design finishers tweaked to require build-up time. If you allow a sneaking assasin to open with a 5-point finisher, stun and build up another 5 points, and do another finisher, you'll need to nerf the finishers through the floor.

It's acceptable for warriors to carry AP over because the class is tweaked for faster build-up (max 3 vs. max 5), and because they can't sneak up on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Nippon View Post
    /signed+2 (if they balance it out)

I have no problem the way it is... but I think it would make being an assassin more fun... save your combo... pop out and boom...

like it should be...
    This is exactly why they didn't do it that way. Ranged+stealth+5 combo pts might've been too much. Although they could just make combo pts count as "combat" and not allow stealth while they're on you, but that would be annoying.

Xsi

Riftstalker Tree - 31 Pt ability called "Planar Switch". If you want to play a warrior as a rogue, spec for this ability.

But really, the Planar Switch ability is so core to the RS tree for tanking that it should be much lower.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Plane Touched

I agree, but stealth should remove all the combo points that you have.
    The warriors can whine, but they have a lot of skills without GBC and with 15 pts in paragon a passive that increase your chance to get another combo point in 50%, in the end warriors are always using more finisher and skills, even with a 1.5 gbc.

Stop hiding your "change" for practicallities sake, you know this is just a thin viel hiding the fact that you want rogues buffed.

It is put in place precisely so you can't kill one target, save up your 5 stored combo points, then switch and immediately blow up another target. You aren't meant to be in the middle of the fray attacking everyone switching targets left and right.
    Abraxis, 50 guardian mage - Seastone

If rogues were in-fact the best single target dps class... it would make sense to lock combo points to the mob instead of themselves... However, that's not quite the case.

I think most people are looking at this from a pvp perspective, I am not. So, so many encounters in pve require a LOT of target switching, which ruins rogue dps. I know some people are saying "you need to learn to time your finishers" but that doesn't help when you need to switch immediately.

Shield of Telara

lol i love all the people saying "as long as they work the same". because 2 different classes with different mechanics should be completely the same, right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2