+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP: 1.2 Edition!

Default Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP: 1.2 Edition!

The 1.2 patch is now LIVE (apart from the servers being down) and I'm here to bring you an updated PVP build that takes advantage of the awesome changes to the Marksman soul tree!

This is a revised version of a PVP build I posted long ago. That thread can be found here: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...o-Marksman-PVP

Please refer to it as background material. That was my primary PVP build until the patch this morning. Discussions of the changes to both the build and the Marksman talent tree will be included in this version of the guide.

THEORY

Like the original build, this is a Marksman primary build with an Assassin sub-focus in order to gain access to permanent and improved stealth. The assassin tree also provides you with poisons and damage increases which complement the Marksman tree very well.

44 MM / 22 SIN / XX
    The Build

Q: Terk, why did you drop the five points that were in Infiltrator in your previous build?
    A: Those points were present previously to add Cloudy Poison to the build to aid with caster harrassment. With the arrival of the awesome Eradicate and Deaden skills in 1.2, it is necessary to spend 44 points in Marksman in order to maximize your ability to take down casters. The addition of these two more than makes up for the loss of Cloudy Poison.

WHY THIS BUILD IS MORE POWERFUL THAN PREVIOUS VERSIONS
    1.) General increases in Marksman ability damage.
    2.) Deaden gives you a ranged silence on a reasonable cooldown, which is fantastic against casters in both 1v1 and group situations.
    3.) Eradicate is particularly strong against classes that rely on buffs.
    4.) Foul Play is a great PVP survivability tool and the new build structure allows for a point to be spent in it.
    5.) Pedestals now provide a 15 second damage buff even after you move off of them, making them more useful in PVP.
    6.) Close Quarters Combat is now a passive skill, meaning you can use your Marksman shots in melee range. Obviously, having opponents in melee range is hardly ideal but it does free up keybinds that no longer have to be made for melee attacks.
    7.) 0pt third soul can be changed on the fly. Most notably, you can gain Break Free, Plane Shift, and Adhesive Bomb by switching any time you are out of combat.

OPEN COMBAT

The key to being effective as a Marksman in open combat is target selection. It is assumed that if you have any idea how to play objective-based PVP, you don't focus on racking up killing blows or straight damage. Sure, you are going to have to kill people from time to time... and that's what your long cooldowns are for.

Focus on reducing the effectiveness of the other team's support. A team with a silenced healer is vulnerable. A pyro who gets his Ground of Strength purged from him is probably going to move his arse. A warrior who is receiving focused healing and running rampant through your team can have many useful buffs purged from him for a mere 20 energy.

The Marksman still has the same peeling abilities as it did in the previous patch. Hang out near your team's healers and keep the assassins and other melee away from them. Malicious Strike + Repelling Shot is great for this. If you have Saboteur as your 0pt soul, you can follow up with an Adhesive Bomb and buy even more time. If they're persistent, gun them down with your Improved Hit and Run.

STEALTH

My bread-and butter tactic for one-on-one fights (such as defending the vault in the Codex) is still similar to the previous build, but with a twist.

Marksman pedestals now provide a damage buff for 15 seconds after you step off of them. This buff is even applied in stealth, meaning there will be a window after you break stealth where you will still be gaining the damage increase on your ranged attacks from the pedestal.

Most players think nothing of a Marksman pedestal sitting in the middle of an otherwise empty area. It seems they assume it was just left there absentmindedly. The pedestal can also be laid down in an area that's harder to see, and you can then stealth right on top of it until the opportunity to attack comes.

When it comes time to engage, I usually use some variation of the following combination.

[Stealthed on a pedestal] ---> Walk to target ---> Paralyzing Strike ---> Strafe and kite away from the target ---> 5CP Rapid Fire Shot

Between the pedestal buff and the 15% damage increase you will gain by using Paralyzing Strike, this opener can rack up a LOT of damage before the target has much of a chance to react.

From here, it's a matter of sizing up the best way to finish off the kill depending on the class. A cleric/chloro will be a prime target for a Deaden shot. Melee warriors can be finished off rather easily by maintaining your distance and using Barbed Shot and Swift Shot followed by Hasted Shot. Foul Play can be used if they manage to close to melee on you, though the stun will be on DR from when you used Paralyzing Strike. On The Double is recommended to escape after using Foul Play.

Try not to blow your Improved Hit and Run cooldown unless it becomes necessary for energy starvation reasons or until you start to see some other opponents show themselves.

CONCLUSION

I have greatly enjoyed using the now-outdated version of this build in PVP since hitting 50, and the new changes with the 1.2 patch have made this playstyle far more versatile and powerful.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Feel free to ask questions or comment below.

As always, try to keep this post free of flames/trolls/forum detritus. I gladly welcome constructive criticism and feedback in my posts and will answer any questions as promptly as possible.
    Last edited by Unit Five; 05-24-2011 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Added link to soul calculator
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Plane Touched

Thanks for the guide.

Looke like Zam is back up - would you mind please linking to the build?
    Last edited by Geronimoo; 05-10-2011 at 11:47 PM.

ZAM is up, but the soul tree calculator is not updated. I will post it in this thread once it is.
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Plane Touched

Gotcha - many thanks!

dmv

Allow me to simplify.
    Target, eradicate, tab, eradicate. Repeat.
    Just kidding, nice guide, think I'll stick with melee though.
    Retired due to lack of PVP content and boring/repetitive game mechanics.

Here you go: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...q8a/AkFilaBg/I
    Make sure to double check the assassin tree as I had to take an hopefully educated guess here and there...

Quote Originally Posted by Jelan View Post
    Here you go: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...q8a/AkFilaBg/I
    Make sure to double check the assassin tree as I had to take an hopefully educated guess here and there...
    Remove one point in imp. repelling shot and add 1 pt. in Strafe

Oups my mistake.

Here is the fixed one: http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.j...8a/AkFimiFkg/I

I have been waiting since launch to PvP with a bow spec. It's what I love. I got home from work last night, tested the damage of a few specs, and settled on 38 MM, 6 Ranger, 22 Sin. I then spent the rest of the night creeping the world looking for a fight while queueing and running WFs. Unfortunately, I can't see this taking more than a couple days to a week (MAX) before they hotfix in a nerf. While it is awesome, MM just hits too hard in PvP now. Using Imp. hit n run with a bullseye on the Dead-eye is nuts. And if that cooldown is blown, Strafe finished with a rapid fire is also enough to almost drop lower geared players.

I will keep rolling with it and tweaking my strat in PvP, but I'm trying to get in the frame of mind to not be upset when they nerf us a bit.
    Finkle: Dwarven Rogue
    Vanguard

Shadowlander

Can you elaborate a little on why you chose not to include static shot?

Malicious strike => repelling shot => static shot => bull's eye => deadeye shot => strafe away => rapid fire shot works pretty good. And you can macro part of that now to include bull's eye.

I haven't tested this alias command yet. I just read about it and it got me thinking.

/alias bullseye cast Bull's Eye
    #show Repelling Shot
    cast Repelling Shot
    cast Static Shot
    stopattack
    bullseye
    cast Deadeye Shot
    cast Strafe

Anyway, why no static shot? Thanks for the guide!

My other car is a car

Quote Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    Anyway, why no static shot? Thanks for the guide!
    It breaks on damage.
    Post 1.2 it will share an immunity timer with snares so it will probably fail to even apply a lot of the time.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Rift Disciple

Exactly what i was thinking. 44mm 22sin = utility and dmg.

Does barbed shot do much dmg than swift?

Rift Master

Serrated-Blades & Cloak-and-Dagger?

Why do you take them both? They are melee are they not? I can understand Cloak & Dagger for the extra % but why only 2/3? 3/3 gives you 15%.

Also why 3/3 on Serrated Blades? Its all melee, and gives nothing to bow damage.

Quote Originally Posted by AvdielZion View Post

Why do you take them both? They are melee are they not? I can understand Cloak & Dagger for the extra % but why only 2/3? 3/3 gives you 15%.

Also why 3/3 on Serrated Blades? Its all melee, and gives nothing to bow damage.
    Just do something like this:
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/soultree.jspa#/yx9kwE/

Ignore Cloak & Dagger... as for Serrated Blades, what else you gonna spend it on ? You need to move up a tier, and for those times when melee does close that gap, any extra bleed is welcomed.

"Eradicating your buffs since May 11th 2011"

Quote Originally Posted by AvdielZion View Post

OP is emphasizing on the usage of paralyzing strike. Cloak-And-Dagger increases your damage by 15% once you use paralyzing strike,

However, I don't agree with Serrated Blades. In order for that to proc, you need to critically hit with your melee attack. In my opinion, it's too much of a chance where the 3-points can be spent in other talent abilities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast