+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Discussion)Bards could use some major tweaking.

Default (Discussion)Bards could use some major tweaking.

I know this has been discussed, but I want to weigh in with my thoughts on the Bard spec.

Bards, from a design perspective, are terrible. They are incredibly stale and boring to play. In instances all you do cadence and refresh motifs. While leveling, a bard can just stand in one place spamming cadence and the Coda of Distress and take on 5 mobs. Sure other classes can take on 5 mobs, but they usually have to move and cast more than 2 spells.

As far as what Bards contribute to a group, I actually think they are more useful than a Chloro for expert dungeons. With a halfway decent main healer a bards heals should be enough and the buffs it provides are more valuable than a Chloro(Just my opinion, not trying to argue). The problem, however, is that Bards are still very stale.

The main problem with Bards comes from Cadence. The most boring basic ability ever and it is pretty much the only thing a Bard does. Cadence is the root of all of the Bards problems. Sure you have Riff and Power Chord and other cooldowns, but that doesn't change the fact that Cadence is the only thing a Bard really needs other than its codas.

Here is my suggestion:
    Either get rid of Cadence all together, or buff it a bit ad give it a long cooldown. That way Bards don't just sit there and spam one move over and over that generates all their combo points.
    So if Cadence was gone or on cooldown, how would Bards generate combo points? Simple, Motifs. Turn Motifs into damaging abilities that generate combo points and provide buffs. Buff duration could be shortened because they will be reapplied so often, but having multiple abilities to use will make Bards much more enjoyable.

In addition, I have seen suggestions of making Motifs provide different buffs depending on the order they are played, that would be perfect for this new system. So we already have Resonance, that could be one of the combinations by playing Bravery, then Focus, then Tenacity, for example. Then there could be a different buff for using Grandeur, then Regeneration, then Tenacity that increased the healing of the next Coda of Restoration used.

There are five main Motifs, so there are many different combination that could be used to create buffs, maybe some that required all five in a certain order and some that only needed two. Adding this would give Bards so much more depth and require a lot of thinking about which buffs to use and when.

On a bit of a side note, if this change were to occur, Motifs should also be affected by the Invigorated Soul talent so Bards can keep their off-healing capabilities.

Well that's my idea and I hope everyone likes it. Thanks for reading and please give any opinions you have, positive or negative, just keep the discussion constructive.

Bumping for importance.

+ Reply to Thread