+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.2 Mesmerize effects are now a liability.

Rift Disciple

Thumbs down 1.2 Mesmerize effects are now a liability.

Banish, Disarm, Silence, Fear, Confuse, Mesmerize, and Stun have all been lumped into the same resist category. 1 very big problem ... Mesmerize is the only one that breaks on damage. Meaning that if you Mesmerize someone and have it break instantly due to AoE or a DoT you have practically handed the target immunity to everything listed above and received nothing positive by doing it.

It is also unknown where rift cage falls as it already provides the target a benefit as they are made immune to damage for its duration.
    Characters: Taldren, Sohwyn, Mythander, Paldren.
    RIFT (Sunrest) - Guardian - Irony || WAR (PT/Gorfang) - Alliance - Irony
    WoW (Azgalor/MT) - Order - Ravens || DAoC (Percival) - Hibernia - Ravens of the Veil

i agree that all CC should be lumped into categories based on its power, for diminished returns.

1. CC that breaks on any damage
    2. CC that breaks after x% damage
    3. CC that does not break on damage

i don't know why MMO makers get so squeamish about their CC.
    i already feel like Rift is very low on the 'annoying CC scale' as it is right now.

what is the point of putting it in game or building classes around it if you are going to jack it up later.

classes with heavy CC reliance should really be getting a buff in some other function after this.

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

Yeah, this is going to be ugly.

Here's my responses from the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by StealthStalker View Post
    I don't think two classifications is enough, and is really going to mess things up. At the least, you need three which would look something like this:

Root/KB
    Stun/Disarm
    Mez/Sap/Poly/Fear
    Snare is unaffected, there should never be an immunity to snare.

Ideally I'd go with 4, though:
    Root/KB
    Stun/Disarm
    Mez/Sap
    Poly/Fear
    Snare remains unaffected.

To get the latter classifications in check, remove the damage bonus received from poly and cause it to break on damage first thing, thus, it's basically a mez that causes the person to wander around a little.

Frankly, only two classifications seems like an idea created by those who really have no idea what these things do and how they should be used. This is something that needs to be handled very delicately.

While I'm happy the issue of CC is being addressed, I'm still not very excited about this particular outcome so far.

Why do I have a feeling some other things are going to be overlooked? eg: The Ranged Weapon enchant created by Weaponsmiths that procs a snare.
    To add to this thought, there would also no longer be diminishing returns. Get hit with one effect from that class, and then your immunity is based off the duration of that ability after one application. Warhammer had this working fairly well I believe, in the end.

Though frankly I prefer the daoc style CC, but I think I'm in the minority with that.
    Last edited by StealthStalker; 04-29-2011 at 03:24 PM.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Rift Disciple

I just wish I knew where Rift Cage falls into this.
    WoW (Azgalor/MT) - Order - Ravens || DAoC (Percival) - Hibernia - Ravens of the Veil

Quote Originally Posted by Taldren View Post
    I just wish I knew where Rift Cage falls into this.
    I'll guess that it fits into the generic CC category. It might avoid it though, since it is unusual.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by entropyboy View Post
    i don't know why MMO makers get so squeamish about their CC.
    i already feel like Rift is very low on the 'annoying CC scale' as it is right now.
    Eh, I want to be in your cluster, on your side.

I frequently run WFs where I'm snared/mezzed/stunned/rooted/silenced for 75% of every fight either until I die or we come out on top... I've done a whopping 7500 healing as a bard in a codex before, #1 on assist trains for entire game is absurd. I would guess that about half of every Virtuoso I use never gets more than 5 finishers off due to stuns/silences/mezzes/fears/confuse/transmog.

You're lucky.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

I frequently run WFs where I'm snared/mezzed/stunned/rooted/silenced for 75% of every fight either until I die or we come out on top... I've done a whopping 7500 healing as a bard in a codex before, #1 on assist trains for entire game is absurd. I would guess that about half of every Virtuoso I use never gets more than 5 finishers off due to stuns/silences/mezzes/fears/confuse/transmog.

You're lucky.
    It is low on the scale. If you are CCd that much, it means your team isn't doing a good enough job peeling people off you.

This game is REALLY low on the CC scale. You want to see real CC in an mmo? DAOC. And it worked, it worked well.

Soulwalker

They are going about this the entirely wrong way.

Silence is necessary only because this game has FAAAAAR too many insta-cast spells. Shouldnt share a cooldown with any other cc, but should get a immunity timer after the initial one fades.

Stun should also get an immunity timer based on its duration. 4 second stun? 40 seconds immunity.

Any type of mez/shapeshift/similar spell : Instead of giving this lump timer, give support classes the ability to cure this. (Once again, Ill point to my name) Know who won fights in daoc? Those who used demezz. Know who didnt? The ones standing mezzed for up to 80 seconds with ****ty party members. Dont want to get aoe mezzed? Then stop cluster****ing like idiots.

I just get sick of people whining to me that this is a team game (when I want to solo) and yet they dont implement things like demezz which would make teamwork a requirement. Eat the cake or have the cake. Trying to do both will (as you, Trion, have proven already) fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyah View Post

You're lucky.
    This.

I'll take it. It helps us in group play while hurting us 1v1. I'll take that tradeoff.
    Villainelle
    <Momentum>
    DEFIANT | SHATTERBONE US

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OldschoolDaoc View Post
    They are going about this the entirely wrong way.

Silence is necessary only because this game has FAAAAAR too many insta-cast spells. Shouldnt share a cooldown with any other cc, but should get a immunity timer after the initial one fades.

Stun should also get an immunity timer based on its duration. 4 second stun? 40 seconds immunity.

Any type of mez/shapeshift/similar spell : Instead of giving this lump timer, give support classes the ability to cure this. (Once again, Ill point to my name) Know who won fights in daoc? Those who used demezz. Know who didnt? The ones standing mezzed for up to 80 seconds with ****ty party members. Dont want to get aoe mezzed? Then stop cluster****ing like idiots.

I just get sick of people whining to me that this is a team game (when I want to solo) and yet they dont implement things like demezz which would make teamwork a requirement. Eat the cake or have the cake. Trying to do both will (as you, Trion, have proven already) fail.
    Don't think they have to go as draconian as the DAoC immunity timer system. Would rather see them add more categories ....

Movement:
    Root, Snare

Fragile:
    Mez

Control:
    Stun, Banish, Silence, Disarm

Special:
    Knockback, Rift Cage, and other misfits.

Rift Disciple

Ideally I'd go with 4, though:
    Root/KB
    Stun/Disarm
    Mez/Sap
    Poly/Fear
    Snare remains unaffected.
    Yeah, I'd say that would just be about perfect.

This is game is gradually becoming more and more faceroll...

Watch them not even pay attention to this thread, like all the others.....

+ Reply to Thread