+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So, as a relatively new rogue, the light doesn't seem to be at the end of the tunnel.

Shadowlander

Default So, as a relatively new rogue, the light doesn't seem to be at the end of the tunnel.

- Valor is getting buffed, meaning players across the board are going to be harder to kill.
    - Rogue damage is not getting buffed nearly as much as PvP-wide defenses are, so it essentially a nerf to Rogues.
    - Rogues are already touted to have serious problems in PvP due to energy/burst issues (not enough burst to kill someone in one energy bar or shortly thereafter, before backup arrives or before you are killed due to being squishy).

Is getting my Rogue to 50 going to be an exercise in frustration? I'll already have to get many, many ranks to be competitive, and many people are already at that point. Many more will be geared up in that kind of gear by the time I get to 50.

Shadowlander

Bail and roll any other class but rogue.

We are last on the list in all factors.

DPS,
    Healing,
    Survivablity,
    Desire to be taken on raids or instances,

you name it...we are last on every list that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashai View Post
    Bail and roll any other class but rogue.

We are last on the list in all factors.

DPS,
    Healing,
    Survivablity,
    Desire to be taken on raids or instances,

you name it...we are last on every list that matters.
    Lulz, someone didnt look at riftstalker tree. :P

Riftstalkers are preferred raid tanks so it's great.

And in pvp, if you're good, you will do good, anyone who say's they are fail and tell you to reroll another class are the one's who dont know how to play.
    And that's from someone playing the 2 souls that needs a buff (When i do pvp and aint tanking a dungeon that is). :>

As long as you find it fun, why give up?
    Last edited by AlexE; 04-29-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
    Lulz, someone didnt look at riftstalker tree. :P

Riftstalkers are preferred raid tanks so it's great.

And in pvp, if you're good, you will do good, anyone who say's they are fail and tell you to reroll another class are the one's who dont know how to play.
    And that's from someone playing the 2 souls that needs a buff (When i do pvp and aint tanking a dungeon that is). :>

As long as you find it fun, why give up?
    Class mechanics are fun, yes. I agree with you - I love the Rogue system implemented starting back with WoW. Combo points, energy management, stealth, combos, etc. However, class mechanics if unviable are not fun. If you don't have enough burst, for example, to *assassinate* someone without blowing all your cooldowns, it's not fun watching them simply heal up, or worse, destroy you with only 1/3 their HP remaining as you flail around feebly while exhausted of energy.

I'm worried that this is how things will be down the line. I guess I'm looking to more experienced rogues for a forecast considering the coming changes on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by SabbathViper View Post
    Class mechanics are fun, yes. I agree with you - I love the Rogue system implemented starting back with WoW. Combo points, energy management, stealth, combos, etc. However, class mechanics if unviable are not fun. If you don't have enough burst, for example, to *assassinate* someone without blowing all your cooldowns, it's not fun watching them simply heal up, or worse, destroy you with only 1/3 their HP remaining as you flail around feebly while exhausted of energy.

I'm worried that this is how things will be down the line. I guess I'm looking to more experienced rogues for a forecast considering the coming changes on the horizon.
    Well, if you dont have the resolve to play the class and learn it then it's best to reroll, rogue (Melee especially, i only play melee lawl) is at a small loss on some points yes, but im learning more and more every day, it's rare i die from anything but a cleric or mage (Pyro, im looking at joo), clerics are hard due to healing and high defense (Damn chain) and other factors, plus they can dish out quite the dmg.
    Mage's, well pyro to be more exact are also hard, cant stun or silence and they take 30% less dmg in that god forsaken ring.

I've played rogue since release and im gonna stick to it, cause it's fun, and i aint giving up on it.
    It's a hard class to play, but all the more fun imo, i dont like easy kills (Blargh at getting hit for 1k each hit with 4 attacks, 4k QQ )
    Which is why i learned to not go after clerics or pyro's (Other souls are fine, chloro might be hard sometimes too though), but easier targets like other rogues or warriors.
    Unless my team is telling the team to focus target someone, then i do my part in that. :>
    Last edited by AlexE; 04-29-2011 at 03:16 PM.

Honestly I've been playing rogue since release as well...and over time it has not and most probably will not get better for us PvP and PvE wise...unless you rolled a rogue to play bard 24/7, I would suggest mage or cleric.

Atm I am leveling my cleric...and wow...what a difference.

Also, if you like to sit there using CD's (short ones such as foul play) but still CD's nonetheless, be prepared to have your damage healed in 1-2 insta's.

My rogue is getting shelved for now...melee clerics do more DPS and they can heal/shield themselves and have more utility.

Plane Walker

I will say this, a properly geared and played rogue is a force to be reckoned with, wednesday my guild went into GSB/RoS, downed warmaster, duke, oracle, and infiltrator -- all four fights our top 3 dps (all from 912-1112 were, in order

Storm caller, storm caller, rogue, cleric, rogue. (then two warriors at 896/892)

Storm callers don't count because we put them in groups with pet classes so static discharge is spiking their damage by.. a lot.

So yes, high dps as a rogue is most definitely possible

and as someone said, they're the preferred raid tanks -- ironically rare though (no really, my guild has 34 50 rogues, and 0 of them tank.), which is what i'm rolling mine to be (much to my guild leader's huff because he wants me as a dps on my warrior but 'eh, my game, my choice)

PvP is a different game, but a good rogue can thrive and compare fine in PvE.. am noticing leveling is a bit of a ***** though, but 'eh.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
    Well, if you dont have the resolve to play the class and learn it then it's best to reroll, rogue (Melee especially, i only play melee lawl) is at a small loss on some points yes, but im learning more and more every day, it's rare i die from anything but a cleric or mage (Pyro, im looking at joo), clerics are hard due to healing and high defense (Damn chain) and other factors, plus they can dish out quite the dmg.
    Mage's, well pyro to be more exact are also hard, cant stun or silence and they take 30% less dmg in that god forsaken ring.

I've played rogue since release and im gonna stick to it, cause it's fun, and i aint giving up on it.
    It's a hard class to play, but all the more fun imo, i dont like easy kills (Blargh at getting hit for 1k each hit with 4 attacks, 4k QQ )
    Which is why i learned to not go after clerics or pyro's (Other souls are fine, chloro might be hard sometimes too though), but easier targets like other rogues or warriors.
    Unless my team is telling the team to focus target someone, then i do my part in that. :>
    So, what you're saying is that you can't kill Clerics or Pyros, and that Chloros can be tough. Now, what about the CC nerf next patch? How exactly are you going to kill any manner of decent mage if you can't shut them down anymore? While they wear you down and heal up from you burst, and/or kite you to oblivion?

Seems frightening..

Quote Originally Posted by SabbathViper View Post
    So, what you're saying is that you can't kill Clerics or Pyros, and that Chloros can be tough. Now, what about the CC nerf next patch? How exactly are you going to kill any manner of decent mage if you can't shut them down anymore? While they wear you down and heal up from you burst, and/or kite you to oblivion?

Seems frightening..
    I never said i cant kill a cleric or pyo, it's hard is all, put poison up and keep bashing on a mage and he will die no doubt, unless you die first.
    Cleric is hard yet, but it's a healing class, the main 1 at that, so should be hard, but i aint saying it's impossible, i've killed multiple clerics, 2 v 1 a few times even (And yes both were 50 lol, scrubs :P )
    It's even easier if you put point in the NB tree, but, im full melee and dont really like NB so. :P

If you know your class, you will do great with it.

But if you dont want to take the time to learn it, then i suggest you reroll, now, cause rogue is hard to play and will stay that way, i wudnt want it any other way anyway.

Rogue is a tough class to balance, cause as some thread points out, it's devastating in the hands of someone who actually know's how to play it (Mostly looking at a sin and bd point here cause that's what i play, along with RS) and will seem terrible in the hands of someone who havent spent enuf time with it.
    Last edited by AlexE; 04-29-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Rift Disciple

Basically, what AlexE is saying is:

If you aren't a masochist then reroll something that is going to require half the effort for the same results.

And yes, I'm a 50 rogue who's dumped the class because I have no interest in playing one of the 4 or 5 viable PvE builds that exist. In PvP we have NO healers on Guardian side, so it's just a slaughter-fest for Defiants it's not like I can actually contribute anything as a bard when I'm silenced, stunned, feared, etc at the beginning of EVERY fight...
    Last edited by Nyah; 04-29-2011 at 07:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread