+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shadow Fire, DPS increase or decrease?

Shadowlander

Default Shadow Fire, DPS increase or decrease?

So I come to the forums asking whether or not I should include Shadow Fire in my rotation. When I don't include it in my rotation, my DPS can be anywhere between 650-725 depending on how much movement is going on. My current rotation is as follows:

18 Marksman / 17 Assassin / 31 Ranger
    Using a T2 Bow (Rune-carved Bow)

Barbed Shot -> Quick Shot -> Swift Shotx3 -> Headshot/Rapid Fire Shot
    Barbed Shot -> Quick Shot -> Swift Shotx3 -> Hasted Shot (Until buffs are about to fall off)
    Hit and Run -> Barbed Shot -> Empowered Shotx2 -> Deadeye Shot (Usually can get 2 rotations off before Hit and Run wears off)

With Shadow Fire

Barbed -> Quick -> Swift -> Shadow Fire -> Finisher

Reason I ask is I get some weird DPS numbers when parsed on the same boss (using the Werewolf in DD as my test) and get anywhere between 550-800. This is with the same group makeup (Chloro for off-heals) and I don't know why it fluctuates so greatly. And yes, my pet stays alive the entire encounter. Any constructive input will be appreciated.

Soulwalker

In my experience, it is a DPS loss. I usually start the fight with it but leave it out of the rotation otherwise.

I do not have parses to back my claims so please take it for what it is. I have tested this though and with my gear it usually lowers my dps.

Also, I do not think you should be using barbed shot unless the mob is moving

also, make sure you have some sort of energy regen (like the bard cooldown) during hit and run spam or it seems like the energy starvation makes that a dps loss as well

again i have no parses to back any of this up just my experiences

good luck!
    Last edited by Jeragon; 04-29-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Champion

Personally I find its an increase... but ONLY if:

a) you do not have to wait for energy before using it (or no longer than you would for a normal hit)
    b) you get it fired off perfectly including the next shot instantly (use move queue) after shadowfire

This basically limits it to teams with chloros or bards in.

Though it is also useful for recouping energy, I seem to recoup a lot more energy than I use with it in my rotation.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    Personally I find its an increase... but ONLY if:

a) you do not have to wait for energy before using it (or no longer than you would for a normal hit)
    b) you get it fired off perfectly including the next shot instantly (use move queue) after shadowfire

This basically limits it to teams with chloros or bards in.

Though it is also useful for recouping energy, I seem to recoup a lot more energy than I use with it in my rotation.
    Problem with my rotations are, I have to wait for about 20 energy to be regenerated before using Shadow Fire. The main attractive feature for me is that it helps recoup my energy but at a cost of 1 auto attack(more if Doubleshot and Master Archer proc).

Champion

if your having to wait I'd say forget about it.

It may recoup your energy and such but if your waiting so much time before you can use it then its not really viable.

From what I have seen, beyond your first shot of a fight, using either SF or barded ends up being a dps loss in a PvE fight. It always seems to be this way and it makes NO sense to me. The same applied to the EQ2 ranger. Many of your longest cast time abilities, while looking like they would be good due to high base damage, over a long fight ended up being a dps loss. I don't even have barbed shot on my hot bar. This btw is with a cloro or a bard. My guild groups and raids always have one, often both and the power song does NOTHING to mitigate the fact that you lose dps just from the cast time alone.
    Last edited by Galibier; 04-29-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Plane Walker

On my 51 point ranger build, Shadow Fire is a DPS loss, but adding Splinter Shot to my rotation is a DPS gain. On my Ranger/MM/Sin build both Shadow Fire and Splinter Shot are DPS losses.

+ Reply to Thread