+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rogues are gimp in PVP?

Rift Disciple

Default Rogues are gimp in PVP?

I have a 50 cleric and a 50 warrior that I primarily PvP with however switched to pugging with my under-geared 40th lvl rogue for a challenge. I have to say I'm incredibly disappointed by how good they are in PvP in both warfronts and open world. Judging by how some of the better 50 rogues perform, where do people think they are lacking in PvP? The fact they are pigeon holed into a couple of pvp builds?

Last 3 matches (Cairn):
    http://i.imgur.com/BnWht.jpg (whitefall - single target dps)
    http://i.imgur.com/QFJ1h.jpg (codex - single target dps)
    http://i.imgur.com/3KEnz.jpg (black garden - ae dps)

Video of whitefall match (was goofing around a bunch)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkMJA48wUg#t=01m20s
    Last edited by Jherkin; 04-29-2011 at 07:32 AM.

If you're measuring the total amount of damage done in a warfront as the determining factor in whether or not a class is op, you're wrong. I watched some of your WFS video, it was a level 39 NB/Ranger/BD with wings picking off players as they rode by... Not to be cliche but...nothing to see here.

I went to click on very cute kitty in a town, I thought maybe they'd be an emote or the cat would meow, instead I murdered it... and looted a Cat Tear...
    This mace was made for swingin'
    So that's just what I'll do
    Pop Rage of the North and **** all over you

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kayoh View Post
    If you're measuring the total amount of damage done in a warfront as the determining factor in whether or not a class is op, you're wrong. I watched some of your WFS video, it was a level 39 NB/Ranger/BD with wings picking off players as they rode by... Not to be cliche but...nothing to see here.
    The first minute, yes -- it's good strategy as it diminishes the protection of the fc. I was able to kill 2 more after it wore off and rode into the enemy base killing 4-5 flag carriers w/ assists. As a dps build in warfronts you ARE measured by your damage/killing blows and flag captures. Maybe this mentality is why so many rogues suck?
    Last edited by Jherkin; 04-29-2011 at 07:44 AM.

Shadowlander

One, rogues are much better in 20,30,40 bracket than 50 bracket.

Two, ranged rogues post up way bigger damage numbers than melee rogues.

Three, mellee rogues are more effective in pvp. They can kill thier targets faster and remove players from the board. Ranged rogues spread around thier damage and have a very hard time solo killing anything that is getting healed. Anyone getting decent heals can ignore most ranged rogue damage.

Shadowlander

how about reaching lvl 50 first?
    also you play in the 30-39 (with lvl 39) bracket and say you are "undergeared"

either you are trolling or you are just completely dumb

i don't say rogues are gimp in pvp, i do pretty well, but the thing is that you HAVE to play nb (at least 32 points to get the fell blades, what i find is pretty unfair compared to warriors (only 17 points to get the heal debuff)), to be able to kill, or at least try to kill clerics, i'm okay that i have to take the nb-soul cause it has got some other nice talents but i hate to put 32 points in there to be dangerous for some clerics.

there would be waaaay more space for rogues if fell blades would be a tier 4 or a tire 5 talent or it would be a 20 or 18 points skill, hell even 26 points were okay.

Yea you wont notice much in that bracket, its actually the best bracket for a rogue. 30-39. After that, everything you see will pretty much kill you, even if you get a jump on them. its in these latter levels that most other callings get their good skills. While being a rogue you don't really get anything better, maybe some cooldowns but you use them in one encounter and die in the next.
    Me killing you in your WFs
    Whats Left of Rift PVP Community: Average Players with Uber gear and bots
    Visualize lvl 50 Rogue
    ZinCarla lvl 50 Warrior
    Contender lvl 30 Cleric

Plane Touched

I loved my Rogue from the first days pvp at 20 where I made 1000 kills in a day right up till the end of my 49th level.

Then I dinged 50, joined a Whitefall Steppes match and this happened immediately as I left the spawn point, within 3 seconds I was dead and there was nothing I could do.

And that's basically what pvp has been like for the last few days, players in luminous green and purple armour appear and you're dead in 3 abilities of four figure damage.

Unless you happen to be on the faceroll side, where you just sort of jump in, hit the pvp geared enemies for 50% of your normal damage and really feel like you're contributing to the team.

But don't worry! Only 39 hours more of this is required to attain the ability to buy a bit of pvp armour to be effective.

More of a PvP at lvl 50 sucks in Rift rant, I like the Rogue class, but what I used to like about it's abilities has all diminished when encountering rank 5+ pvp geared players across all the warfronts.
    So the best thing to do is join Port Scion as an AE class and spam the bridge, die, spam the bridge unless rank 2...
    Last edited by Jaekal; 04-29-2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: speeling

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Egstazy View Post
    how about reaching lvl 50 first?
    also you play in the 30-39 (with lvl 39) bracket and say you are "undergeared"

either you are trolling or you are just completely dumb.
    I have reached 50 on two characters, and have been the victim of many effective rogues. I know there are some brutal 50 builds floating around. As for undergeared, I mean - um - "gear" as in 32 greens at 39. Rogues are equally effective @32.

http://i.imgur.com/kWdLf.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/BE1HG.jpg
    Last edited by Jherkin; 04-29-2011 at 09:07 AM.

30-39 bracket is definetly the best bracket for rogues.
    50 is a living hell tho, unles you are sucking some premade a.s.s and take potshots at people while your team is doing all the job
    aka being carried
    Last edited by Kor Phaeron; 04-29-2011 at 09:15 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jherkin View Post
    I have reached 50 on two characters, and have been the victim of many effective rogues. I know there are some brutal 50 builds floating around. As for undergeared, I mean - um - "gear" as in 32 greens at 39. Rogues are equally effective @32.

http://i.imgur.com/kWdLf.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/BE1HG.jpg
    yeah except they have like 8 skillpoints less then you, and i want to see a screenshot of your gear ;)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jaekal View Post
    Then I dinged 50, joined a Whitefall Steppes match and this happened immediately as I left the spawn point, within 3 seconds I was dead and there was nothing I could do.
    I felt this same way when I dinged 50 with my cleric and warrior. I was not contributing at all. I dropped 20-30 plat on each for purple weapons, did the 50 lvl puzzles for blue armor, and adjusted my builds and did much better after a few games. As a newbie 50 you really need to go more utility, CC and healing and shouldn't expect to make a big impact.

ya rogue is badbad. terrible at 1v1. in groups you can go sab and be usefull for aoe slow and silence. u get stun too. that is about it. no time to dps you can only be support. assassin has some melee dps but its melee and you are in leather so you lose to warrior guarenteed. you lose to clerics as well. marksman to maybe take a cleric. mage kills every rogue soul hands down. nothing you can do

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Egstazy View Post
    yeah except they have like 8 skillpoints less then you, and i want to see a screenshot of your gear ;)
    For a NB pvp build you get all your keystone abilities @32. All 8 skill points really did was allow me to max out doubleshot, which I honestly don't think helps that much. I was hoping it would give me another proc of scourge for burst damage but I have yet to determine if it does or not. I can't find any screenshots of my 31 WFs .. wonder why? .

The wf lvl bumps works the same way in pretty much every game. If you have lvl appropriate equipment you will match up fairly well to other players except for a few skill points. In the 10-19 bracket it really is a big deal, however in the later tiers it doesn't matter nearly as much. I honestly was probably doing better @32 as I had a nice 29 purple sword. I was using that same sword at 39.

Ascendant

Why does no one seem to understand that mages/clerics are doing the carrying in 50 wfs? Mages put out damage that can straight up drop people. You, as a rogue, unless popping CDs, do not. Assisting a Mage allows for an easy kill. Same with a dps warrior due to all his burst. Rogues are support at the moment, NOT dps in PvP. The sooner you learn that, the more valuable you will be for your team.

Everyone is telling you the same thing man. 30-39 is where rogues shine. You say you found some 'effective rogues' at 50. I'm telling you right now that they either outgeared you, or outplayed you. Either way if that rogue had been on a pyro he would be more than effective, he would be unstoppable.

You can plug your ears and sing all you want while everyone tells you what it's like when you level up to 50, but it's not going to change the outcome when you get there.

I went to click on very cute kitty in a town, I thought maybe they'd be an emote or the cat would meow, instead I murdered it... and looted a Cat Tear...
    This mace was made for swingin'
    So that's just what I'll do
    Pop Rage of the North and **** all over you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast