+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Just rolled a Marksman Rogue, 1st impression in PVP is positive (video)

Default Just rolled a Marksman Rogue, 1st impression in PVP is positive (video)

For the many of you who do not know me - I am a publisher of PVP Guides and videos, most recently the stickied WoW Prot Pally PVP Guide on the WoW forums and a Riftblade Warrior PVP Guide.

Warrior has been my main, but over the past few days I've been trying out different classes/specs in the 10-19 bracket to choose an alt. The two specs I've been the most interested in are Shaman/Justicar Cleric (for the durability and solid DPS) and Marksman Rogue (for the kiting mechanics).

I have been very pleasantly surprised at how effective Marksman is for kiting while delivering solid damage. Below is a link to the first video I put together for the spec:
    http://taugrim.com/2011/04/28/rift-r...iftstalker-12/

Why aren't there more Rogues playing Marksman, especially given the concerns I've heard in-game and on the forums about melee Rogue in PVP?
    Last edited by taugrim; 04-28-2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Taugrim
    50 R8 Cleric @ Dayblind (Guardian) | 50 Warrior @ Harrow (Defiant)
    Twitter: @taugrim | Blog: taugrim.com
    Guides: M*A*S*H Melee Healer Cleric PVP | Riftblade Warrior PVP | Strafing / Keybindings

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

Well hello there.

My Warfront/group pvp role is most definitely marksman, I run Assassin for solo world PvP. For large scale fighting/raid PvP I usually end up barding.
    Last edited by StealthStalker; 04-28-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by taugrim View Post
    For the many of you who do not know me - I am a publisher of PVP Guides and videos, most recently the stickied WoW Prot Pally PVP Guide on the WoW forums and a Riftblade Warrior PVP Guide.

Warrior has been my main, but over the past few days I've been trying out different classes/specs in the 10-19 bracket to choose an alt. The two specs I've been the most interested in are Shaman/Justicar Cleric (for the durability and solid DPS) and Marksman Rogue (for the kiting mechanics).

I have been very pleasantly surprised at how effective Marksman is for kiting while delivering solid damage. Below is a link to the first video I put together for the spec:
    http://taugrim.com/2011/04/28/rift-r...iftstalker-12/

Why aren't there more Rogues playing Marksman, especially given the concerns I've heard in-game and on the forums about melee Rogue in PVP?
    Surprisingly, pvp at 50 is different to pvp at 15

Quote Originally Posted by Adnoz View Post
    People make generalizations like this, but mechanics are mechanics. The kiting and mobility of Marksman is very good. Do you think that the mobility or damage are not competitive at 50?
    Last edited by taugrim; 04-28-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Taugrim
    Guides: M*A*S*H Melee Healer Cleric PVP | Riftblade Warrior PVP | Strafing / Keybindings

People make generalizations like this, but mechanics are mechanics. The kiting and mobility of Marksman is very good. Do you think that the mobility or damage are not competitive at 50?
    because at higher lvl, OTHER classes will get more and more gap closing abilities.
    My YouTube Videos : http://www.youtube.com/user/gn0?feature=mhum
    Videos from different games I played.

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

Surprisingly, there is a difference between a good player and a bad player.
    http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv43/Unholiologist/fictionsaysninjaassassin.jpg

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Doktor_Ljubavi View Post
    Surprisingly, there is a difference between a good player and a bad player.
    Unsurprisingly, what you stated has nothing to do with what you quoted.

Well, for example, there is only one way for a rogue to close distance on you in the level 19 bracket, by putting points into RS.
    However, later on they can also grab flash of steel. Same for melee clerics. Healing clerics don't have 60% damage reduction in passives either.

The game is very different at max level, mechanics don't change but new ones are introduced, that's what reduces marksman effectiveness at max level.
    Edit: the damage isn't competitive at level 50 either. deep nightblade is required to give marksman anything more than a tickle at 50.
    Last edited by Adnoz; 04-28-2011 at 11:12 PM.

General of Telara Doktor_Ljubavi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by voidtek1969 View Post
    Unsurprisingly, what you stated has nothing to do with what you quoted.
    In a very indirect way, it did in fact. The whole "PVP is different at 50 bro" argument seems to be governed by those who feel their class is terrible.

Taugrim's analysis of how effective the marksman kiting mechanic can be is no different from 10-50.

If you watched the video, at one point, Taugrim makes a statement that a lot of Marksmans he ends up fighting stand in place, and nuke instead of.. ya know.. kiting?

It really puts into question exactly who is whining that Marksman is bad in PVP. My money is on the Marksman's who stand in one place, and not actively position themselves accordingly.
    http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv43/Unholiologist/fictionsaysninjaassassin.jpg

Edit: the damage isn't competitive at level 50 either. deep nightblade is required to give marksman anything more than a tickle at 50.
    Do you find on cloth and leather wearers that the damage is solid? Or do you go NB for the non-Phys damage so that targets feel equally squishy, if that makes sense? That was one of the reasons I spec'd Riftblade for Warrior.
    Taugrim

Well, for example, there is only one way for a rogue to close distance on you in the level 19 bracket, by putting points into RS.
    However, later on they can also grab flash of steel. Same for melee clerics. Healing clerics don't have 60% damage reduction in passives either.

The game is very different at max level, mechanics don't change but new ones are introduced, that's what reduces marksman effectiveness at max level.
    At 50, as a MM, you will have to blow all of your c/d's to even have a chance at killing a competant cleric, and it still isn't a sure thing. Warriors will laugh at your damage, and some mages will kill you quicker than you can build up 5 cp's. Honestly, at 50 with decent gear, we really pose much of a threat in warfronts. Of course, world PvP is a different story.

Anyways, enjoy the lower lvl PvP. The higher you get, the more you'll realize how much we are lacking, even with top tier gear.
    Faemist - Rank 4 Guardian Assassin - Mercilous
    Faemist - Level 30 Guardian Warlock - Lexium
    Faemist - Level 29 Defiant Cleric - Kotsune

Do you find on cloth and leather wearers that the damage is solid? Or do you go NB for the non-Phys damage so that targets feel equally squishy, if that makes sense? That was one of the reasons I spec'd Riftblade for Warrior.
    The damage is pretty solid on leather wearers, and most of the time it'll be a dps race. Clothies are a bit different though. We hit them a bit harder, but they have so many defensive skills, blinks/disarms/stuns, that it is kind of hard to get through a rotation without having to break LoS to regroup.
    Faemist - Rank 4 Guardian Assassin - Mercilous
    Faemist - Level 30 Guardian Warlock - Lexium
    Faemist - Level 29 Defiant Cleric - Kotsune

The spec I use: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...MGogoos.v0zoqz
    3 points unspect because zam hasnt updated rogue pvp tree

The nightblade is there for fell blades scourge of darkness and heat retention. Without these marksmen is too cooldown reliant to be effective (38+mm required)
    NB attacks arent used other than twilight force and SoD. The damage on clothies may aswell be considered damage on leather as in pvp armor they have only a few % less mitigation. Overall it is consistently low and without controlled fire+ hit and run spec marks wont kill anyone before they get killed themselves.
    Frame of reference my swift shots crit 460ish with R5 gun and R1-4 gear, 5K HP is around average for pvp geared level 50s. finishers crit 1k-1.6k

Shadowlander

just 2 questions

AS a riftblade, how long u need to kill a maskman if u catch him?
    and
    how long the maskman need to kill u if the maskman catch you?

Telaran

This is what we need, videos that show how great we are at lower levels and ignore mechanic altering abilities deeper into other classes souls.

See, we arent bad guys! Lookit him kite that OP cleric!!11

please...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast