+ Reply to Thread

Thread: rogue tanks.

Rift Chaser

Default rogue tanks.

i dont tank with my rogue... i just dont think the idea of a rogue tank is viable....

any rogue tank ive had the pleasure of grouping with has been less than any plate tank i have grouped with...

why is this? seems like rogues take more damage than plate tanks... rogues get hit harder...

i've stated for a while now that rogues avoidance is broken, and after grouping with serveral rogue tanks, i've come to the conclusion
    A: a half dozen rogue tanks on my server sucks.
    B: rogues avoidance is broken, subpar to plate tanks with a shield...

i'm thinking B:, especially since rogues seems to get hit harder than other classes.. it seems my lvl 42 warrior doesnt get hit anywhere near as hard as what my rogue did while i was lvling my rogue...

also the shield brings up another question, why doesnt a rogue get to use a 1hander and buckler to give them a small percentage of block? without a buckler/shield this seems like it would put a rogue tank at a disadvantage from the start..
    Last edited by brucer; 04-28-2011 at 01:29 PM.

The tanks on your server need to learn how to use it.
    While warrior is easier to tank with cause it's not that many buffs they have to think about, they are a lot better in my opinion, just need a bit more aoe threat which is coming.

The reason rogue tank's get hit for more is due to them need to have at least Rift Guard up asap or it's babye.
    I've never had problem on my rogue tanking any expert (Except RoTF, that dungeon is annoying but havent tried now, got bit better gear now :P )
    Also, my dodge is 15% base, 20% with false blade up, i have 10k hp and more hp than most warrior tanks i've seen.
    Rogue tanks are best for single target tanking but not bad at aoe just because of that.
    Rogue tanks are almost prefered to tank greenscale, why that is i do not know, havent got there quiet yet.

Im still using blue DPS hat so take that in mind, and im using a T1 dps belt from vendor so im still missing a bit of w.e.

Sez

Yay more biased ignorance!

I am my guild's rogue tank.

Certain bosses (Pluto in DSM for example) are better suited for a rogue to tank.

Trash, and AOE threat situations, are stressful and sloppy without threat help from another rogue.

In conclusion, Rogues are great tanks, but not if they wear dps gear!
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    i dont tank with my rogue... i just dont think the idea of a rogue tank is viable....

any rogue tank ive had the pleasure of grouping with has been less than any plate tank i have grouped with...

why is this? seems like rogues take more damage than plate tanks... rogues get hit harder...

i've stated for a while now that rogues avoidance is broken, and after grouping with serveral rogue tanks, i've come to the conclusion
    A: a half dozen rogue tanks on my server sucks.
    B: rogues avoidance is broken, subpar to plate tanks with a shield...

i'm thinking B:, especially since rogues seems to get hit harder than other classes.. it seems my lvl 42 warrior doesnt get hit anywhere near as hard as what my rogue did while i was lvling my rogue...

also the shield brings up another question, why doesnt a rogue get to use a 1hander and buckler to give them a small percentage of block? without a buckler/shield this seems like it would put a rogue tank at a disadvantage from the start..
    What you think and the facts are two different things. Just because you had the pleasure of grouping with scrubs who can't tank with rogues doesn't mean they can't tank. As a matter of fact, raiding guilds PREFER rogue tanks for taking down bosses. Rogues are about mitigation moreso than avoidance. Sure avoidance helps, but the only tree that offers avoidance is bladedancer and that is not a tank soul.

Champion

the mitigation lost from 60-70% less armour and no block is more than made up for in the 35% from riftguard (that works on all enemy damage) and a higher avoidance rate (I beleive our dodge is still superior to warriors)

couple that with some decent cooldown skills, extra mobility and looking kick *** ;) we are more than capable of being on par with warriors.

As other have said, sometimes people prefer rogues because of certain parts (mobility easier high magical mitigation) rather than having warriors spec 3 of their souls to tanking.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by dcens View Post
    What you think and the facts are two different things. Just because you had the pleasure of grouping with scrubs who can't tank with rogues doesn't mean they can't tank. As a matter of fact, raiding guilds PREFER rogue tanks for taking down bosses. Rogues are about mitigation moreso than avoidance. Sure avoidance helps, but the only tree that offers avoidance is bladedancer and that is not a tank soul.
    its not a tank soul but still a soul you put 8 points in it to get some avoidance (10% dodge from 8 talents = win)

i'm the main rogue tank from my guild currently. and i can easely say rogues are awesome tanks in raids.

k in dungeons i find warrior and cleric tanks generally better on trash as its harder for a rogue to keep everything up and so on. easyer to **** up.

but a rogue shines on bosses and it does so easely. you have so much mitigation its insane. that with another 20 dodge and 5 parry combinded ...

the only thing i can complain about is the spike dmg at start (wich i usually solve with side step)

the aoe threat is being solved in 1.2
    "Guts were meant to be gutted."
    —The Assassin's Creed, Chapter 3

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Yay more biased ignorance!

I am my guild's rogue tank.

Certain bosses (Pluto in DSM for example) are better suited for a rogue to tank.

Trash, and AOE threat situations, are stressful and sloppy without threat help from another rogue.

In conclusion, Rogues are great tanks, but not if they wear dps gear!
    Or play poorly.
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

+ Reply to Thread