+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue tanking tips, techniques, and tricks

Plane Walker

Default Rogue tanking tips, techniques, and tricks

After tiring of groups stalling because no tank or healer could be found I created a tank role on my rogue. I looked up some common builds, bought a few tanking T1 plaque items with some spare plaques, and snagged from my bank the 3-4 pieces of tanking gear that I had collected from experts along the way. So far I am enjoying playing a rogue tank in Rift and its a nice departure from my ranger/MM DPS build or bard build.

I had tanked WoW for years as both a MT and OT so tanking was not a foreign concept to me. But the rogue tank in Rift is an interesting creature and although there are a few tanking guides circulating I thought fellow rogue tanks could share some of their tips, techniques, and tricks that they have discovered/developed along the way to help out those of us who are new to the rogue tank.

Caveat - With the variety of builds out there, not all tips, techniques, tricks mentioned in this thread may work with your chosen build or group composition. Also, I'm still a noob rogue tank myself, having only tanked two instances (both easy ones, eIT and eFC). So I hope to glean from the responses to this thread by more seasoned rogue tanks some valuable tips, techniques, and tricks that I myself can use. And lastly, there are multiple rogue tanking guides out there, this thread is not meant to replicate what those guides already provide. If you are looking for a guide, please do a search of the rogue forums.

As people add their rogue tanking tips, techniques, and tricks I will add them to the original post.

Tips/Techniques/Tricks:
    1 - Plane Shifting abilities can be used for more than just pulls. Shadow Assault and Shadow Stalk if used after a pull will increase your crit hit chance by 15% for 10 seconds. While your DPS as a rogue tank isn't anything to write home about, every little bit of damage contributed helps to take down mobs faster.

2 - Memory Capture and Flashback are extremely powerful tools. Combined, these make doing Line of Sight (LoS) pulls a piece of cake. This is very helpful when you have caster mobs who don't like to group up. Find a tree or rock, cast Memory Capture, then Shadow Blitz into the pack of mobs and do a quick Rift Disturbance, then Flashback. Memory Capture and Flashback also make some boss fights a piece of cake if you need to quickly move out of an AoE effect and back in (think final boss in eIT).

3 - Planar Refuge and Scatter the Shadows are your friend. Rogue tanks seem to suffer from one glaring downside, spike damage on the initial pull. Most of our mitigation comes from quickly getting up our finishers, like Guarded Steel and Rift Guard (and False Blades is specced for it). But even on some pulls the time it may take to get those up, combined with the time needed to gain aggro on multiple mobs, can be problematic for the lesser geared, newer rogue tank. This is where popping Planar Refuge just before you plane shift into combat (or Scatter the Shadows just after you shift in) can be the difference between a win or a wipe.

4 - Don't forget your single target taunt, Instigate, has a 20 meter range.

5 - Planar Switch (if specced for it) has some incredibly useful applications. While you will have Rift Scavenger if you spent 51 points into the Riftstalker soul you really don't need it much since your healer(s) will usually be able to keep you up. Planar Switch though, once you get used to using it, can be a powerful tool for switching from target to target. At first I thought it was to be used when a mob was about to die and I lacked the time to get off a finisher. I could move the existing combo points to a new mob and not lose them. In reality, I'm finding that if I have the time to execute the button press for a Planar Switch, I more than likely have the time to do a finisher (unless of course doing less than a 5-point finisher could be detrimental). But, on some fights like Matron Verosa in eFC, you can build 5 combo points on Verosa and just when Lesch becomes active, use Planar Switch and bammo! you instantly have 5 combo points on Lesch. Do the same thing when Gruze is about to come active. This technique can be very useful when you need to quickly gain aggro on mobs, especially if they are untauntable.

Plane Walker

Reserved if more room is needed.

Plane Walker

Reserved post #3 if more room is needed.

Champion

Planar switch can also be used as a useful long range pulling tool (if you have decided to not go ranger or such)

Also your "saved" posts aren't going to be usable after 5 minutes ;) best write everything up in one go.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    Planar switch can also be used as a useful long range pulling tool (if you have decided to not go ranger or such)
    Great tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Dasorine View Post
    Also your "saved" posts aren't going to be usable after 5 minutes ;) best write everything up in one go.
    Forgot about that. Stupid forum rule.
    Last edited by Godzillamax; 04-28-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Plane Touched

Guarded Steel and False Blades (If specced for it) don't give a different amount of mitigation depending on combo points, meaning that applying a quick 1-2 combo point Guarded Steel + False Blades can get your mitigation up quickly at the start of a fight (I personally only use 2-3 points for my Guarded Steel and False Blades allowing me to alternate between them and 5 point Rift Guards every 15 seconds)

Rift Disturbance gives off a Attack Power and Spell Power debuff and so is nice to use on single targets. (Took me a while to actually read that part of the tooltip...)

Thats about all I can think of that could help someone new at Rogue tanking...

+ Reply to Thread