+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Can Rogues be main tank for Experts?

Default Can Rogues be main tank for Experts?

Someone in guild said they can, but I didn't know if they were winding me up or not? Is it practical?

Thanks

Yes.

(10-char)

Rift Master

I've done a few with Rogue tanks.

Rift Disciple

They can be main tank for anything.

Plane Touched

Yes rogues can tank experts.

Here are a few common builds that people use:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...EItIuqdRkkR.xb - Most common build since 10% dodge from Bladedancer (5% passive and 5% from False Blades finisher) and 4% reduced damage from Ranger help mitigate damage.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...EItIuqdRkkR.xh - Another common build giving the best passive mitigation and anti-magic (Since spells cannot be dodged) suposedly the "Beginner" build due to having more damage reduction and more health and less reliance on dodging.

Then gearing is just making sure to have enough health to survive, enough avoidance to keep incoming damage down (Through Dex + Str or pure dodge + parry stats) and enough toughness for the level you are doing (About 50 for T1, 100 for T2 and 150 for T3 (Raids)) being slightly under can be okay if you cannot get it high enough without the gear from the dungeons. Also make sure to keep hit up enough to keep aggro and combo points building (50 for T1, 100 for T2 and 150 for T3)

I prefer running with a rogue tank, especially now that the healers I run with are used to his style and know that they need to be a bit more careful at the start of certain pulls.

Once a rogue gets used to tanking and knows when to pop their cooldowns, when/how to use their teleports correctly and how to generate the most AOE aggro, they are great tanks.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Thanks for the answers! I am surprised, as everyone seems to wait around for a tank for expert when often there have been 2 rogues in the group. Now I am puzzled as to why? We did have a guy in a pug group I was in that tanked when the tank had to leave suddenly. It didn't seem to work out at all - we got stuck in KB.

I will have to start questioning the general order of things! Hopefully no more sitting about waiting for a tank to do experts ;)

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tentimes View Post
    Thanks for the answers! I am surprised, as everyone seems to wait around for a tank for expert when often there have been 2 rogues in the group. Now I am puzzled as to why? We did have a guy in a pug group I was in that tanked when the tank had to leave suddenly. It didn't seem to work out at all - we got stuck in KB.

I will have to start questioning the general order of things! Hopefully no more sitting about waiting for a tank to do experts ;)

I doubt most rogues have a tank build still. And even if a rogue in your group has a tank build, without taking the time to get toughness equipment they'd be worthless.

rogues can tank raids.

Out the gate, we're a little squishier, but into the fight, I'd say we're stronger. 10k life and lots of mitigation and evasion, 4 taunts, two of them that buff you, damage shield, armor buff...
    And if things do get hairy, it's easy to teleport far enough away to give that heal an extra second to cast.
    Welcome to Rift 1.2
    No Challenge. No Reward. No Point.

Soulwalker

I watched a GS fight where the main tank was a rogue. It was a near perfect downing.

Quote Originally Posted by aluink View Post
    I watched a GS fight where the main tank was a rogue. It was a near perfect downing.
    Most guilds currently use Riftstalkers to tank Greenscale and a few other raid bosses because Riftstalkers mitigate their huge special attacks the best.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Champion

A few things that stop any rogue in your team tanking:

1) It takes a lot of time to set up, you can't just have another role and be a tank you need to spend a lot of time gathering the tanking gear (dps leather does NOT cut it)

2) It is a very limited build, we have only 1 defensive soul so the variations you can use to build your tank are limited.

3) its not pew pew dps blasting! Many people roll rogue so they can do the dps (at least until they find out the rogues dps scores) as such they don't want to play tank.

Problem I have is agro with multiple mobs - Three Kings for one.

I looked at Warrior souls and every other skill has some type of agro associated with it. The Warriors I run with seem to have a much easier time of it in that area than my Riftstalker.
    Last edited by Zarric; 04-28-2011 at 07:27 AM.

I'm a rogue tank, Honestly the only thing that I've found a more challenging is aoe aggro as we only have one "sure" aoe taunt. Once you learn how to build AoE aggro properly it's a walk in the park.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast