+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fixing Assassin

Soulwalker

Default Fixing Assassin

Here's my suggestion:

Poison Malice has been removed
    New ability(replacing Poison Malice): Shadow Walk - The Assassin walks among the shadows gaining use of abilities requiring stealth for 5 seconds. The Assassin will not be stealthed and visible to other players. 30 Second cooldown ( Could be adjusted).
    Jagged Strike: Duration is increased to 16 seconds
    Paralyzing Strike: Cooldown is now 8 Seconds

Other than the AP issues and energy cost issues, the problem with the assassin is that only one of its 2 strongest abilities can be used during a fight. Unless of course you use slip away, then the 30% of the time it works you can use 2.

What I'm meaning here is that:
    Assassinate - Highest instant damage CP builder
    Jagged Strike - Best DoT CP builder
    Paralyzing strike - Lower damage but added stun

can only be used once during a fight, which really limits the amount of abilities you can use after the initial blow.

Poision malice : while adding a nice boost to poison damage really isn't that worthwhile considering it adds 100% damage to two 50 damage abiliities that have a 20% chance to proc for 15 seconds and NEVER crit. Let's say you hit the target once a second, so every 5 seconds you proc twice(once for each poison) that's 300 damage over 15 seconds. Woohoo! It also does damage back to the enemy but I find that insigicant because most times theres either a tank or you have the enemy stunned.

This very simple change does everything that Trion is try to accomplish:

Sustainable Damage: Jagged strike stays on the target longer and can be reapplied during fights longer than 18 seconds. Assuming that they are behind the target, every 30 seconds assassins can unload Assassinate 3-4 times while reapplying Jagged Strike. If not paralyzing strike could be used to stun then 2-3 assassinates. Though this would be spike damage, it would reapply Cloak and Dagger giving us a nice burst over 10 seconds and maintaining damage with Jagged Strike ticking longer.

Burst Damage: Assassinate(our best CP builder) can be used more than once in a fight and instead 3-4 times every 30 seconds.

It doesn't even have to be Poison Malice, make it hidden veil or slip away or heck do away with Serpent Strike.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dubble View Post
    Poison Malice has been removed
    New ability(replacing Poison Malice): Shadow Walk - The Assassin walks among the shadows gaining use of abilities requiring stealth for 5 seconds. The Assassin will not be stealthed and visible to other players. 30 Second cooldown ( Could be adjusted).
    I really like your poison malice idea. Would be easier to balance sins openers without making them overpowered, because "they can be used once per fight".

Also I think its not really worth posting suggestions on this forums coz people here are not interested on discussing such changes. They just want to cry and whine that how underpowered they are, but they cba to think about possible fixes, they are either lazy or just dumb.
    Last edited by Zax1; 04-28-2011 at 03:48 AM.

Soulwalker

Unfortunately you are right about most people here lol.

I was really disappointed when I started and there wasn't a way to use stealth abilities in combat. In Eq2 assassins were able to get back into steallth through attacks. I like that Idea much better than the current setup here

Replacing Poison Malice wouldnt work very well tbh.

Just think, open with Jagged, Puncture, Impale.

Use the skill update you are suggesting (Shadow Walk?) Paralyzing Strike.

Slip Away, Assasinate.

Would be a little much as you put it.

Or perhaps change it to modify Slip Away or something..
    Wheeler
    Exiled Guild
    Roguey Extraordinaire of Sunrest

Soulwalker

Could be on a Cooldown after coming out of stealth. You have to be out of stealth for so many seconds say 10 before It can be toggled. I just think the easiest and most obvious way to fix the class is to give them some way to get into stealth during combat, because right now Assassinate is a complete and total waste along with the others when considering long fights. If we could just be able to use the abilities we have while in combat the class would be just fine.

Plane Touched

Yeah, same thing came to my mind. An shared cooldown with stealth would fix that. So it couldnt be used for 10sec after opener. Its win=win solution imo.

Basically that new skill wouldnt make an opener overpowered because its fine as it is, but would allow to increase Sins dps during combat and would make use of these FOUR skills on stealth bar. Seriously, I love this idea.
    Last edited by Zax1; 04-28-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Soulwalker

Though it would be a nice addition it'll never happen. Just fun to talk about I guess

Give sins Shadow Stalk from RS on a 30 second cooldown.
    "Never give up and never surrender!"

So, it's just you 57 cops against KUNG FU JOE? Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other shiz you ain't never heard of! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

I like that idea for the most part, needs some small tweaking but its a great example of how you could make an assassin what it SHOUlD be. A class that can kill stuff in a brutally efficient way, but a single target not multiples. Like a bee, you sting, then your pretty much gone.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=443735&dateline=12991  91838

MX5
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by zets View Post
    I like that idea for the most part, needs some small tweaking but its a great example of how you could make an assassin what it SHOUlD be. A class that can kill stuff in a brutally efficient way, but a single target not multiples. Like a bee, you sting, then your pretty much gone.
    I don't agree at all. Assassins for me are not like bee's where they die after the initial hit. Why not be renamed to Suicide Bomber? Or Kamikaze? Not an Assassin. I don't want to die just because someone else needs to.

For me Assassins do immense damage initially and then once the job is done they manage to get away...maybe with some health lost but the the goal is accomplished. I can see the devs have this picture as well because of slip away. Even though it's buggy it does allow a quick get away after a kill...or if you need to re-stealth and open.

In every movie I see assassins usually are the best at quick kills and quick get aways. That's why I loved Wanted and Hitman.

Just my 2cents.

Telaran

I really like the OP's suggestions, these should be in the next patch.

first of all i think the assassin needs a base damage increase to all abilities. the thing is the assassin is a single target damage class in a game where 90% of all encounters in a dudgeon are group based, so in order for an assassin to be an effective class in PvE it would need a extreme DPS increase. the assassin would have to be doing nearly as much damage to a single mobs as a stormcaller or sabo would do to 4 at once, so on a 3-5 mob fight the assassin would be par, then the AE classes would have the advantage on the 5+ fight and the assassin would have the advantage on the 2 or less fights evening things out in the end. this is the only way to truly fix PvE IMO.
    even if you gave the assassin a straight up 50% increase to everything as its stands the average assassin is still going to fall short on the zonewide parse, i personally can pull around 1000 DPS on a single target fight when things go my way, thats extreme high end best case scenario, compare that to the stormcaller in my guild who, wile in lesser gear and pulls 2000 DPS on every single group fight without trying. if the zones were half single target encounters it would be a different story but that just isnt the case. and on top of everything even when you do have a single target fights its normally a boss and a good 80% of the bosses in game require the rogue to sit at range.

but even if this problem was fixed and the devs saw my QQ and actual did what needed to be done to fix PvE then PvP would be broken, because even though the assassin seriously fails in PvE it is outstanding in PvP, if my dmg output were to be doubled i would be completely unstoppable against other players, so, there actually is no real fix for the assassin. the problem is in the overall game mechanics themselves. then game is too group encounter oriented for a single target soul to ever be contributing as much as a multi target soul, only way to fix it would be to change the layout of things completely. would have to change the majority of encounters to single target then make the assassin do about 20% more dmg on a single target then a AE soul would then use the occasional AE fight to pull up the AE souls zonewide DPS to par with the single target soul. as it stands in this game i just dont ever see the assassin truly standing up to any of the AE classes. want to DPS on a rogue roll a sabo the rest suck as much as i hate to admit it, and if you want to be top DPS dont roll a rogue at all.

they perma broke the assassin when they rolled the game, dont get your hopes up.

Plane Touched

Assassins needs help, thats obvious. I think an OPs Poison Malice idea along with poison revamp suggested here by myself : http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...amp-suggestion would be an good start. Certain assassins soul abilities are in need of redesign. Fixing numbers wont cut it.

Unfortunately these "suggestion" topics mostly are being ignored by community, which doesnt really lead to any fixes in nearest future.
    Last edited by Zax1; 05-03-2011 at 06:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread