+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MarksMan PvP build - works for me

Telaran

Default MarksMan PvP build - works for me

This is my favorite pvp spec

Do I die? once or twice per WF. No shame in that.
    Can I kite melee? Hell yes. I kite melee to death more often than I get caught and smacked.
    Am i able to focus people to death? Yeah, baby. Yeah!

Self Buffs
    - hellblades
    - smoldering blades
    - predatory instincts

Build main strength:
    - Heat retention! 30% larger finishers. And aren't finishers what its all about? Strafe, bull's eye, hit and run, deadeye shot for 2k+. This is even more painful if SoD is up. No-one can say this does not hurt.
    - Procs: many people discount damage procs, but consider hellblades + smoldering blades + master archer + SoD when its up. If you have SoD up, and hit Strafe or the AoE macro, the numbers fly like crazy on your screen. And its all non-physical. Hence unstable state. Even better if you have heat retention X 5.

Openers!
    - Stealth + Dark malady (or smother)

-- AoE macro (all non physical damage)
    #show fan out
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast lightning fury
    cast fiery chains
    cast fan out
    cast weapon flare

-- Finisher macro (hasted shot at range, otherwise blazing strike, otherwise knock back or slow)
    -- triple tap this to do blazing strike for 1k+ and knock back the target, then slow them.
    #show hasted shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast hasted shot
    cast blazing strike
    cast repelling shot
    cast crippling shot
    cast twilight force

-- Slow macro
    #show crippling shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast crippling shot
    cast twilight force
    cast barbed shot

-- Getaway macro
    #show on the double
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast on the double
    cast twilight shelter

-- Combo macro (usable at melee range)
    #show swift shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast dusk strike
    cast swift shot

Some of these abilities (repelling shot, barbed shot, static shot) also on keys of their own, for better situational use, like punting someone off the flag carrier, or just spamming barbed shot on everything in sight.

The big question? Controlled Fire?
    Personally, I find pvp to be so dynamic that I rarely get to cast continuously for 2 full rotations, so energy is not a problem. The 2 or 3 seconds you take to reposition or select a target, your energy bar is full.

On the other hand, I have yet to settle on a build for PvE, as energy is a major problem in experts. Without controlled fire, you have to continually pause to wait for energy, or stare at your ability timers. With controlled fire, your damage sucks outside your energy window. My ranger/sin/nightblade spec feels a lot more effective in experts, but I hate the pet, and energy remains a problem.

Telaran

This is the basis for my PvE experts build.

There are 9 points unspent there, which allow you to get to any of (or some combination of) controlled fire, scourge of death, lethal poison. Whatever floats your boat.

Ayu
    Plane Touched

Macros.. -_- /facepalm

I really don't know why people keep posting this MM/NB cookie cutter build all the time >_<

edit: Missing stunbreaks + cleanse soul from infiltrator tree, why would you go so deep in NB without actually going for fellblades?
    Last edited by Ayu; 04-27-2011 at 04:12 AM.

Believe it or not but not everyone can afford or is willing to splash out on [insert keyboard and mouse combo with ridiculous number of buttons here]. And there is also the fact that pressing 3 buttons in sequence instead of one button three times doesn't really make you any more or less skilled.

Twilight Force at the bottom of that macro is a bad idea since it won't be able to fire if you've taken the attack range + talents. You will also be wasting a GCD to reapply a snare already on someone as soon as you get close enough for it to fire (assuming Crippling is on CD).

You don't really need to spend points on something to break stuns in PvP given how many people use Warriors and Mages. Even a below average Warrior or Mage will be able to tear apart a Rogue without even needing to stunlock them and any premade worth a damn will be focus firing people anyway. What you DO want however is abilities that will cause CC immunities so you can fire it off BEFORE the CC hits you. Usually, when you're CC'd it's way too late to do anything about it as a Rogue. Nobody's going to let a free kill do to waste.

Not going 2/2 for Melted Skin is a mistake since there's no real way of getting weapon enchants to proc more often. I'd go 4/5 Heat Retention and 2/2 Melted Skin personally. Also consider Eventide and Nightstalker. Dusk to Dawn is also far superior to Strafe since it's magical damage and procs SoD. Strafe is probably better for killing mages though due to the CC immunity.

You should also turn that combo macro into this:

#show Swift Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Primal Strike
    cast Swift Shot

Primal Strike hits harder then SS and that will make you switch over to PS in melee range.
    Lilisette High Elven Rogue - Argent EU | Laretha: High Elven Cleric - Argent EU
    Rahal: High Elven Warrior - Argent EU | Lilaeath: High Elven Mage - Argent EU
    If any fellow Roleplayers want to meet up to RP, let me know.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Lilisette View Post
    #show Swift Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Primal Strike
    cast Swift Shot

Primal Strike hits harder then SS and that will make you switch over to PS in melee range.
    Actually, swift shot hits harder than primal strike (once you factor in single minded focus), and it has no minimum range. Also, swift shot benefits from armor penetration and master archer, as well as improved firepower, as far as that goes.

However, if you spend some points in primal death, or have points in serrated blades, then primal strike is preferred at melee range. There have been times when my macro looked exactly like that.

Also, though I didnt mention it, serrated blades applies to weapon flare, and is a great add to your melee aoe abilities.

As for twilight force at the bottom of the slow macro, and the finisher macro ... it is a melee ability, and does *not* get its range increased by the marksman ability.

The macros posted were also the 'full' versions, more often than not, I use fewer abilities per macro, or no macros at all. But they do serve their purpose.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the time you took to write this post.

I like the idea the use "fiery chains" in the aoe macro. I forgot that.

I personnaly prefer this build. I find hard to live without "Break free".

I like to (MM Pedestral) > Dusk to dawn > Scourge of Darkness > Strafe > Hit and run > Bull's eye >
    Dead eye shot > Empowered shot x 2 + Barbed shot > Dead eye shot >
    Empowered shot x 2 + Barbed shot > Dead eye shot

Very bursty.
    I still have problem with "Bull's eye" that often doesnt works and even parsing logs i dont understanf why.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Vennedra View Post
    I still have problem with "Bull's eye" that often doesnt works and even parsing logs i dont understanf why.
    Strange. Now that you mention it, I have given up on my deadeye shot macro (with bull's eye and hit and run). It just never worked reliably, and I couldn't quite figure it. So I just hit them manually (z-x-c for me, and r to reload).

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ayu View Post
    Macros.. -_- /facepalm
    I really don't know why people keep posting this MM/NB cookie cutter build all the time >_<

edit: Missing stunbreaks + cleanse soul from infiltrator tree, why would you go so deep in NB without actually going for fellblades?
    With so many abilities and cooldowns, using macros to reduce keybindings makes sense.

The 8 points in ranger I consider 'floating', sometimes I vary the spec to grab fell blades, sometimes I go for controlled fire, and sometimes I do a few points in assassin (for lethal poison). However, crippling shot is just too valuable for me, so I don't like to pass it up.

With some group heals, you can survive the odd bit of melee, even the odd stun. Your best defense against being stunned though is movement and positioning, and staying with your team. If you are isolated, and outnumbered, you can try to stay alive as long as possible, but generally you will either run far and fast enough for the enemy to give up, or you will die.
    Last edited by MichaelJ; 04-27-2011 at 09:04 AM.

+ Reply to Thread