+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: agro issues (nightblade)

Sword of Telara

Default agro issues (nightblade)

Am i the only nightblade constantly having agro issues? i spend a good bit of time working to better my DPS yet my GF raises a good point, its pointless if ive yet to find a tank who can hold agro off me!

i always get the whole "manage your threat better" (i have no threat reduction spells :-/) or "wait longer to start". my last rift raid (death) on the final boss i waited until the mob was 80% before even starting, by 58-60% i pulled agro and stopped attacking. i waited till 45% before attacking again and pulled agro again in the 20s. my DPS (by each person's time spent DPSing, not the encounter's duration) was around 1K while the 2nd and 3rd were in the 600s.

in instances when i give the tank a head start im fine on trash, but ive waited till 65% and still pulled agro on bosses.

my issues are with various warrior tanks and 1 riftstalker. am i missing something all together? are they bad? am i bad? any input would be helpful.

i currently have the greater essence that -supposedly- reduces threat and my MM (does 200ish less DPS) never has -any- agro issues.

edit: to add in:
    -im in T2 gear (all but a few pieces).
    -i use whetstones on raids (given ive never been to a true GSB or higher, mostly only rift raids).
    -i do the normal NB rotation
    -when im "waiting" i often /dance near the healers
    -my dancing is terrible
    Last edited by Seyon; 04-26-2011 at 09:14 PM.

No you dont.
    How was it looks for me:
    1. w8 7 seconds after tank starts combat
    2. perform start rotation in easymodo
    3. start pressing buttons out and PRAY your tank is awesome
    4.1 if your tank is you show good dps
    4.2 if he is not, you take an aggro and die

so you must choose: good dps or being alive
    But if your tank is good, oll be korrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anost View Post
    Must be fake as popular opinion appears to be that all rogue souls do max 250 DPS and die within seconds.

RIFT Guide Writer

After like 10 seconds of fighting there should never be a thing called dps overagroing, only tank underagroing. I've heard that void knights are poor for generating threat, but 1k dps should be nowhere even close to pulling single target agro from a riftstalker. In fact I have never lost single target agro when tanking after the first seconds and I have gotten a couple of planar strikes in. It sounds like you just have bad tanks.

You realy need a veeeeeeeeeery good tank, then its possible to start even with ebon fury.
    if your tank is average you better change the build or just use autoattacks for the start. pretty annoying.

Telaran

I've heard people mention before about one of the NB finishers having a hidden threat multiplier on it, believe it was Blazing Strike, but I haven't done any tests on it myself so I'd take it with a grain of salt. But yea, if you're pulling from the tank as a rogue, I'd look into the tank and the other dpsers to see where their threat and damage stack up, cause while NB can be good damage, they're generally below several other classes...but then it could be the other classes having -threat mods or something.

Plane Walker

I don't know if this is true but let's say both a rogue and a war are doing 1.2k dps but the warrior has a pet that makes up 200 of that. The warriors threat is then only at a 1k level because it's seperate from his pets. This makes rogues much more likely to pull threat than a warrior, assuming they are a beastmaster(which I think all dps wars in my guild are) and also assuming you are doing more dps than the war minus his pet dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctus View Post
    I've heard people mention before about one of the NB finishers having a hidden threat multiplier on it, believe it was Blazing Strike, but I haven't done any tests on it myself so I'd take it with a grain of salt. But yea, if you're pulling from the tank as a rogue, I'd look into the tank and the other dpsers to see where their threat and damage stack up, cause while NB can be good damage, they're generally below several other classes...but then it could be the other classes having -threat mods or something.
    i believe its SoD that's the problem, as was discussed in that prior thread that i can't locate. i was having that problem tonight, and it seemed i would pull aggro when i used SoD sometimes. funny thing is, exact same tank was in my group the night before, and i had one instance where i pulled (albeit, i started way too early).

pretty lame that the only way we can lose some threat via roots/branches is by going sab (incriminate) sin (slip away) and ranger i guess (divert rage)

here's the thread
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...p-%28threat%29

at least i think it is...i'm a little drunk :P
    Last edited by Soull; 04-27-2011 at 01:53 AM.

If I have single target threat problems, I just make sure to assist the tank, because some tanks don't cycle through the mobs on aoe pulls...make sure you kill what they are hitting.

Another thing is I remove SoD from my finisher macro and only use it 20sec + into the fight to give the tank more time to gather threat before I use it.

I think the bulk of the agro issues are caused by SoD, don't use it too early in the fight with a crap tank.

Sword of Telara

yeah, that thread mentioned it -might- be SoD, dosnt look like anyone did testing though .

that seems like a hard thing to test. but i'll try not using it my next raid.

I've pulled a few times on trash as well (44NB/22SIN). 90% of the time I am running with our guild tank and he's well geared. I keep an assist macro for him on my hotbar (C key) and try to focus whatever he's taking down.

Failing that, just switch targets every couple of rotations.

Failing that, Blackout + Make fun of Ish on Vent until he taunts the mob off me.

Failing that, battle rez.
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Regardless of what aggro glitches are going on with sod or not its really a tank issue. If you use a riftstalker tank you should never pull aggro from him even going all out from the start. With a cleric or poorly speed or played warrior you will most likely pull.

I've noticed riftstalker single target threat is through the roof compared to other tanks. I've had occasions where a cleric tank is holding an add for example for a good 20 seconds or so and if I shadow blitz , rift disturbance, and spam planar strike with guarded steel up I've been able to catch up on threat.

The only tanks I've seen so far that you can start all out on have been riftstalkers. Has anyone else noticed something similar?

He who conquers the left side rules the world

Sword of Telara

the riftstalker tank does much better. with -him- i think its a gear issue. he is in kind of "entry T2 gears". on raids its always been warrior tanks and even giving them a minute of head start on a 5 min fight, i still pull agro within 1-2 minutes :-/.

there has to be atleast one good/geared tank on the server :-/. good to know its -probably- not anything im doing wrong .

Telaran

If it's a huge problem, you may work in stalker phase/shadow assault into your build somehow. 50% threat redux with a 2/3s uptime, might work out well.

I don't know how easy 16 points would be for you to flex out.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Twine View Post
    If it's a huge problem, you may work in stalker phase/shadow assault into your build somehow. 50% threat redux with a 2/3s uptime, might work out well.

I don't know how easy 16 points would be for you to flex out.
    It's not really possible. 17 Sin is needed in every dps spec. To do 16 RS, you have 33 points left. 33 NB/17Sin/16RS wouldn't work that well. You just can't get all the important talents with only 33 NB. Also losing out on 5% crit and 46 AP from Ranger(for only 6 points-amazing) really hurts.

Also it's not up 2/3s the time, because you wouldn't have the 15 seconds off shifting cooldown. That would require 5 more points, meaning 21 RS
    Last edited by Equis; 04-27-2011 at 08:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast