+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Riftstalking with sin? (50/8/8 or 51/8/7?)

Shadowlander

Default Riftstalking with sin? (50/8/8 or 51/8/7?)

Haven't seen this mentioned, but maybe I just missed it.

Somethin' like this, or 51/8/7 for 10%DR C&D:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...vItIuqdRkkR.hG

Was toolin' around in the talent calculator and remembered that the oft-neglected (at least by me) "Cloak and Dagger" in the sin tree gives 15% DR and 2CP on an opener. Went and checked, and it DOES stack with rift barrier. If it stacks additively, that's a nice 30% DR on the pull. Even if its multiplicative, it's still some 25% before your cds are up.

Messin' around on the target dummies I think the opener would go somethin' like this:

Stealth - Assassinate - Shadow Blitz - 3cp Guarded Steel - Rift Disturbance - regular rotation. Bam! AE threat and decent mitigation on the pull!

The downside being the loss of some 1-1.3k hp from Good Health and Fanfare of Vigor. (I dropped from 10.3 to 9.0) I'd imagine this build would be fairly limited to the dungeons where you wouldn't mind the loss of HP too much.

Has anyone tried this? Is it not worth it when you can just pop a cooldown every pull? Just thinking out loud over here!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gasoline View Post
    Haven't seen this mentioned, but maybe I just missed it.

Somethin' like this, or 51/8/7 for 10%DR C&D:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...vItIuqdRkkR.hG

Was toolin' around in the talent calculator and remembered that the oft-neglected (at least by me) "Cloak and Dagger" in the sin tree gives 15% DR and 2CP on an opener. Went and checked, and it DOES stack with rift barrier. If it stacks additively, that's a nice 30% DR on the pull. Even if its multiplicative, it's still some 25% before your cds are up.

Messin' around on the target dummies I think the opener would go somethin' like this:

Stealth - Assassinate - Shadow Blitz - 3cp Guarded Steel - Rift Disturbance - regular rotation. Bam! AE threat and decent mitigation on the pull!

The downside being the loss of some 1-1.3k hp from Good Health and Fanfare of Vigor. (I dropped from 10.3 to 9.0) I'd imagine this build would be fairly limited to the dungeons where you wouldn't mind the loss of HP too much.

Has anyone tried this? Is it not worth it when you can just pop a cooldown every pull? Just thinking out loud over here!
    I like the concept of needing to take less damage on the pull, as that is where Riftstalkers struggle. However, you give up too much to get that 15% mitigation. Instead of the way you pull, instead try this.

Shadow assault in, use planar switch at the same time(off the GCD) -> 2 pt guarded steel + rift barrier proc. Hit Phantom Blow 3 times(Use Rift disturbance + Shadow Blitz for aoe threat) -> RG.

If you are struggling with initial burst damage, just pop a cooldown before you pull. That's what they are for. 30% mitigation or 50% dodge, both rock face and make the pull complete easy mode. The fact is you have to have StS(51 pt RS) and giving up 10% hp and armor buff(bard) or 5% HP and 4% mitigation(Ranger) is simply not worth it in the long run.

Also be sure to pop motif of bravery before the pull if you are a part bard. A little extra SP on the healer never hurt! Heck on most bosses I keep it up all the time in 5 mans. People love it
    Last edited by Equis; 04-26-2011 at 05:28 AM.

Hm, nice idea - should use shadow stalker + assassinate (or rather stun). otherwise u most likely get discovered before attacking.

Anyways... i simply open with splinter shot + quick shot + blitz for 4 CPs then a phantom blow and there's my riftguard within 2secs (dunno why ppl want guarded steel first, as AoE-threat really isn't an issue if ur DDs aint dumb as ****).

The thing about sin is... u won't get any profit out of it during the fight and 4% less dmg + 5% health or 10% dodge are way too much to pass up on. (screw bard for a second/third soul - it sucks compared to the other two)
    Last edited by Coffande; 04-26-2011 at 05:34 AM.

Champion

tbh it looks pretty ok, though i'd move the 3 in the final blow talent and just dump em in the crit one, more crits is never a bad thing even on a tank.

I'd also possibly drop 1 point out of cloak and dagger, 10% damage reduction on pull, 0.5% more over all damage reduction, 1% more hp and a very very good ohshi... button.

Then its just a question of wether you feel the gain in pull mitigation and of course extra criticals is more beneficial than other builds, such as rangers 5% hp and 4% damage mitigation through out.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Coffande View Post
    (dunno why ppl want guarded steel first, as AoE-threat really isn't an issue if ur DDs aint dumb as ****).
    Guarded steel first is for the threat yes. Have you grouped with geared dps? Like Stormcallers and dps warrriors? Oh my god, threat is hard to come by. I mean yeah, they could hold back, but it's a challenge. I tell the dps to go all out, just let me get to the mob first. Makes 5 mans more fun and interesting. So long as you used a shift on the pull you have about half a rift guard, so you don't need it first. Also you don't need to get a 5 point RG, on the pull I typically do a 2-3 point one.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffande View Post
    (screw bard for a second/third soul - it sucks compared to the other two)
    Bard is a great 3rd soul for 5 mans. Let's compare it to Ranger(as I consider 8 BD mandatory for the sidesteps cooldown and 10% dodge).

7 Bard: 10% hp, 500 group armor buff(amazing for clothies on fights they take phyiscal damage), 1% less chance to be hit, Motif of bravery, group endurance buff(ignoring this cuz every healer ever has this).

7 Ranger: 5% hp, 4% less damage taken, 46 AP self buff, level 30 pet(good for some fights to tank extra damage like random targetted boss aoes-just park him away from the group).

I prefer Bard for 5 mans and Ranger for raids. The armor buff is amazing, only other person who gets one is an archon, which is not a great 5 man spec(have them go dps). 5% more hp than ranger is nothing to scoff at. You lose overall mitigation(1% avoidance vs 4% reduction), but the health gain makes up for it. Also I keep up motif of bravery, as we are never GCD capped, as it is very easy to keep all finishers up.

+ Reply to Thread