+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How are Rogue Tanks?

Telaran

Default How are Rogue Tanks?

Just curious how rogue are as tanks? I have a 50 war and 50 cleric tank and rolling rogue so i can try them as well. Any insight or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

General of Telara

They're good. AoE threat is a bit troublesome but you can manage it for the most part. Single target tanking is cake, and the movement from all the shifting abilities make a lot of dungeon bosses a joke (not like any are hard to begin with).

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldeqbard View Post
    Just curious how rogue are as tanks? I have a 50 war and 50 cleric tank and rolling rogue so i can try them as well. Any insight or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
    I can't speak for t1's/t2's as we had to bend our rogue's arm to get him to tank for GSB, but -- in raids? best tanks at the moment. with all their buffs up they take less damage per hit than a warrior does with a maxed out resistance build (53% magic resist vs 50% magic resist for warriors, 92% physical vs 90.78% physical for warriors)

In addition to having more natural health due to improved guardian phase, (Our rogue sits at 11.9k self buffed, and he's in a mixmatch of gear, I specifically built my warrior's set for end and sit at 9982 self buffed)

Teleports making some fights a lot easier than they should be (any fight where you have to los or kite a mob, s'genius), and a number of cooldowns for 'oh jesus' buttons (3 second immunes 30% less damage 50% dodge, etc), whereas warriors have one (loh), unless they've got 44 points in a tree -- which few people do.

That said, i've heard that have AoE threat issues (which are getting fixed in the next patch?) and they are much, much more skill dependant than other tanks (maintaining buffs, first few seconds of the pull, etc -- whereas as a warrior i'm just sitting and spamming blood fever and hitting pact conversion when I get the pacts) -- Plus without buffs up they're a thin as paper, so.. yea.

Though I rerolled on another server, and am rolling up a rogue -- I loathe having to bard (don't like barding), but I look forward to learning the ins and outs of riftstalker tanking.

Rift Master

Aye, aggro management can be very tricky. But, I do believe much of it stems of the fact that certain classes deal ridiculous amounts of damage while rogues tend to deal somewhat less. It gets annoying when your mage can't deal his full damage because your damage and threat generating abilities are not enough to make the mob ignore the mage.

Instigate does not always work on mobs running off to engage another party member, and if you've just used your "Planar Attraction" and "Rift Prison" and it's on cooldown your group is pretty much in for a wipe as your damage alone isn't enough to make the mob turn attention back to you (at least not in time. After all, most non-tank stuff dies after 1 hit in an expert dungeon).

I at least hope it will become somewhat easier when they ballance the classes in the next couple patches, as pyro with less dps and yourself with more will make keeping aggro easier.
    Last edited by Mandarb; 04-25-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Telaran

Thanks for all the wonderfull info guys really sounds like rogue will be a fun tank. Glad to hear it to my cleric and war are basicaly slam face against keyboard and im good lol well little more work on cleric side but not much hehe.

+ Reply to Thread