+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Which Riftstalker build should I use?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16

    Default Which Riftstalker build should I use?

    The average 51 riftstalker:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ItIuqdRkkR.x0d

    But I had figured up a build like this going more into BD:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ozoR.xMdVhM00M


    I have yet to tank an instance yet due to not having full gear yet, nor do I want to look like an utter fail tank and cause wipe after wipe in an expert.

    I mainly like the non 51 spec due to it seeming like it would have more mit due to False Blade being up, but the 51 point apparently has more mit and of course health from what I've read on here. Is there really a big use for Rift Prison anyways? I see it in a lot of tank specs on here but never have I seen one use it in an expert..Then again I'm sort of a noob coming into rogue tanking so maybe it is a needed skill.
    Any help would be appreciated

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Use the 51 point build until you've run a few dungeons and are comfortable tanking.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Planar Attraction is an amazing skill for 5man content, Scatter the Shadows is one of the most ridiculously overpowered abilities in the game once you get good with using it, allowing you to bypass all sorts of game mechanics (except Defer Death QQ), all your gaining by going 22 BD over 8 BD is 6% parry when false blade is up, marginally better energy income rate and a boost to dodge which results in a little AP and maybe like 1% dodge. Your giving up a huge amount of your Rift Guard absorb, a fat wad of hp and losing 2 of the best abilities currently available to you, its just not worth it.

  4. #4
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeKith View Post
    Planar Attraction is an amazing skill for 5man content, Scatter the Shadows is one of the most ridiculously overpowered abilities in the game once you get good with using it, allowing you to bypass all sorts of game mechanics (except Defer Death QQ), all your gaining by going 22 BD over 8 BD is 6% parry when false blade is up, marginally better energy income rate and a boost to dodge which results in a little AP and maybe like 1% dodge. Your giving up a huge amount of your Rift Guard absorb, a fat wad of hp and losing 2 of the best abilities currently available to you, its just not worth it.
    I was on yesterday and my group was trying to get a 5-man expert run in but couldn't find a tank. Since I had been silently collecting tanking gear drops in the experts I offered to go buy a new role and try tanking FLH. Was pretty easy though we wiped a few times due to my lack of knowledge of the skills and my fingers trying to do my ranger rotation instead of the tanking one. One question I have though, is how exactly does Planar Switch work? What exactly does it do? And is it better to use than Rift Scavenger?

  5. #5
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    639

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzillamax View Post
    I was on yesterday and my group was trying to get a 5-man expert run in but couldn't find a tank. Since I had been silently collecting tanking gear drops in the experts I offered to go buy a new role and try tanking FLH. Was pretty easy though we wiped a few times due to my lack of knowledge of the skills and my fingers trying to do my ranger rotation instead of the tanking one. One question I have though, is how exactly does Planar Switch work? What exactly does it do? And is it better to use than Rift Scavenger?
    Planar Switch transfers all combo points from a previous target to your current target and then adds one more CP. Things to note:

    1) You can only have Combo Points on one target at a time. You must Planar Switch as the first CP builder on a new target or you lose the CPs you had on the previous target. If you have 4 CPs on a target, swap targets, and build 1 CP on the new target, the previous 4 vanish immediately and cannot be recovered (Planar Switch will still add the 1 CP it always adds).

    2) When a target dies, any CPs you have on it vanish immediately. You cannot Planar switch CPs from a dead target regardless of Rift Scavenger. Rift Scavenger doesn't make the CPs vanish; it just gives you something in return where you normally get nothing.

    Why do you use Planar Switch? Big reason is multi-pulls taht you are going to AE. In this case, you often cannot sit there spamming 5 CPs on a single target as you're AE DPS will aggro other targets off you. You very well may have to do something like:
    Target something. Planar Strike 2x.
    Tab to new target. Planar Switch (now have 3 CPs). Planar Strike 2x. Finisher
    Tab to new target.
    Last edited by Kurieg; 04-26-2011 at 04:57 AM.

  6. #6
    RIFT Guide Writer Hokonoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    first build or find yourself dead a lot. basically you need a minimum of 51 points into RS to be effective (unless your cleric is a demigod) because that 3 second immunity will be used nearly ever pull you dont have your buffs up and any time one of your healers misses a heal due to some type of cc.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    This is the build I use. It has an interrupt which is very important in 5 mans. Also it gets 2 selfbuffs for more HP and an aura for more armor. Furthermore, it gives you and extra aoe finisher which is helpful on trashpacks. This build is by far the most successful I have used in experts. Although, the 51 point build might be better in raids, where other epople can interrupt and you have a bard that can buff HP.
    Last edited by Holmen; 04-26-2011 at 05:11 AM.
    Kailyn - Rogue
    Riftstalker - Bladedancer - Infiltrator/Assassin
    Marksman - Assassin - Nightblade
    PvP: Marksman - Assassin - Infiltrator

    Member of <Precision> on Imperium EU
    http://precision-guild.net/

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holmen View Post
    This is the build I use. It has an interrupt which is very important in 5 mans. Also it gets 2 selfbuffs for more HP and an aura for more armor. Furthermore, it gives you and extra aoe finisher which is helpful on trashpacks. This build is by far the most successful I have used in experts. Although, the 51 point build might be better in raids, where other epople can interrupt and you have a bard that can buff HP.
    That's not a tanking build...

  9. #9
    Champion
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    507

    Default

    second build sacrifices 15 points in rift stalker that would give:

    7.5% rift guard absorption (effective against all damage)
    15% hp

    for

    6% parry (effective against physical damage)
    2% damage reduction
    small dodge boost from dexterity talent (against physical only)
    Energy management
    Last edited by Dasorine; 04-26-2011 at 05:28 AM.

  10. #10
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Equis View Post
    That's not a tanking build...
    lol wtf? somehow some other build got in there. Gonna remake it! THIS BUILD I use!
    Kailyn - Rogue
    Riftstalker - Bladedancer - Infiltrator/Assassin
    Marksman - Assassin - Nightblade
    PvP: Marksman - Assassin - Infiltrator

    Member of <Precision> on Imperium EU
    http://precision-guild.net/

  11. #11
    Plane Walker Otiveht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    318

  12. #12
    RIFT Guide Writer Hokonoso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    4,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holmen View Post
    lol wtf? somehow some other build got in there. Gonna remake it! THIS BUILD I use!
    if you are going to gimp yourself at least go 51rs 12bd instead of 44 rs, you only lose hp and dr going this way, but you get an interrupt, if your gear is good enough it can work...
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

  13. #13
    General of Telara joker225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    938

    Default

    This build is probably the best build.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M_p_..EItIuqdRkkR
    Why?
    Beucase constant mitigation is superior to avoidance. I rather mitigate 2% more damage then avoid 6% more attacks (random numbers).
    I rather have 3 sec immunity on 2min CD then 6% parry.
    I rather have more hp then 6% parry.
    Seriously...
    The only time you would go more then 8 points in BD is when you need interrupt (SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER, SPOILER=Gregori in DSM, annoying mobs before last in RD.)

  14. #14
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joker225 View Post
    This build is probably the best build.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M_p_..EItIuqdRkkR
    Why?
    Beucase constant mitigation is superior to avoidance.
    I actually disagree, heavily, with this statement. If you mitigate an attack you take reduced damage. If you avoid an attack you take 0 damage. 0 damage taken by a tank is better than damage taken by a tank. For every attack you mitigate your healers have to expend some mana to heal you. For every attack you avoid, your healers don't have to expend any mana healing you.

  15. #15
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    439

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzillamax View Post
    I actually disagree, heavily, with this statement. If you mitigate an attack you take reduced damage. If you avoid an attack you take 0 damage. 0 damage taken by a tank is better than damage taken by a tank. For every attack you mitigate your healers have to expend some mana to heal you. For every attack you avoid, your healers don't have to expend any mana healing you.
    You can't dodge magic. You can absorb it. Magic makes up a large portion of the "tankkiller" effects in the end game (ever seen a justicar try to fight Gregori Kreslav?)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts