+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why do Riftstalker Tanks take so much Dmg?

Rift Disciple

Default Why do Riftstalker Tanks take so much Dmg?

I don't understand why i get roflstomped so hard by T1 group of mobs. I Shadow Blitz to the group PBblowx3, Planar Strike x2, Guarded Steel, 5 planar strike RGuard, refresh Pblow and Pstrike to 5 False Blade, i maintain all the 4 buffs up at all times and still get ****ted on... My cleric tank laughs at these mobs in similar gear wtf.

8948 HP Self Buffed no Cleric buff.
    327 dex
    4001 Armor
    212 str
    Endurance 743
    Toughness 100
    Dodge 405
    parry 239
    hit 178

I was getting destroyed in Realm of Fae trash packs so much i got discouraged and said theoretically im geared enough to tank T2's like the easy ones DD RD etc but after getting ***** by Realm of Fae trash i said hmm i think not till i get the full epic set. Is it me or is the healer whos failing considering i mastered the rotation and keep said buffs up full time and never lost aggro spec is. 51 RS/7 Ranger/ 8 Bladedancer. Would i be better off with a RS Bard spec for a Long range sap? if so got any spec suggestion any help would be most appreciated.

Rift Disciple

Your healer was very bad, BUT you probably shouldnt be going to a full 5 point guarded steel at the beginning. Get 3 CP's and pop guarded steel for a quick burst of mitigation at the beginning. Then you can even go for a 3 point Rift Barrier if needed.
    Every so often words are spoken that alter the course of our lives....

Well..my money dont lag, my money dont are nerfed, my money dont are bug, now Trion equlibrate souls or give me my money back!

- Greegan

Telaran

Put Rift Guard up first.

Champion

guarded steel is more for the threat, if your struggling try going riftguard first and make sure your team dont over threat while you get set up.

RIFT Guide Writer

Rift Guard goes up first. The Rift barrier from phase shifting is only 15% damage absorption. Rift Guard with 51 points in RS is 35% damage mitigation on everything coming your way. The buff from Guarded Steel is nothing compared to this.

Try Splinter Shot -> Shadow Blitz -> Rift Guard to open.

Rift Disciple

thanks for the suggestions and ill try the splinter shot never thought of the free 2 point CP. And the problem wasn't dieing at the start it was about 20 seconds into the pull so for trash anyone got a spec with the long range sap in it?

Rift Disciple

Yes, rift guard is what I meant, sorry.

I never go rift guard first since rift barrier is almost always already up and I can generate 3 CP's before I get hit for the guarded steel mitigation.

I never have had a problem with incoming damage using this method, but I might try switching the 2 finishers around to see the difference.

Regardless, if he is in melee range going all the way to 5 CP before popping one of the two... that's a lot of unnecessary damage he is taking at the start.

Hopefully he is at least using a couple ranged attacks to generate CP's before getting into melee range.

Well..my money dont lag, my money dont are nerfed, my money dont are bug, now Trion equlibrate souls or give me my money back!

- Greegan

hell you can shadow blitz to guarded steel cause even a 1pt is good enough at times, i generally go to 3 before going to 5pt rift guard. my gear is amazing tho so that 15% from teleporting is enough to survive any trash pull.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo209 View Post
    thanks for the suggestions and ill try the splinter shot never thought of the free 2 point CP. And the problem wasn't dieing at the start it was about 20 seconds into the pull so for trash anyone got a spec with the long range sap in it?
    If it was 20 seconds in... horrible healer. 20 seconds in at least 1 or 2 of the mobs should be dead. Meaning you are taking a good deal less damage.

You arent popping a damage shield like blackout and not telling your healer are you? It could be that you stop taking damage so he slacks off and when the shield wears off you get lit up.

- Greegan

Rift Disciple

What spec are you? If you aren't 51 Riftstalker you're doing it wrong.
    Galt - 50 Rogue

I don't understand why i get roflstomped so hard by T1 group of mobs. I Shadow Blitz to the group PBblowx3, Planar Strike x2, Guarded Steel, 5 planar strike RGuard, refresh Pblow and Pstrike to 5 False Blade, i maintain all the 4 buffs up at all times and still get ****ted on... My cleric tank laughs at these mobs in similar gear wtf.

8948 HP Self Buffed no Cleric buff.
    327 dex
    4001 Armor
    212 str
    Endurance 743
    Toughness 100
    Dodge 405
    parry 239
    hit 178

I was getting destroyed in Realm of Fae trash packs so much i got discouraged and said theoretically im geared enough to tank T2's like the easy ones DD RD etc but after getting ***** by Realm of Fae trash i said hmm i think not till i get the full epic set. Is it me or is the healer whos failing considering i mastered the rotation and keep said buffs up full time and never lost aggro spec is. 51 RS/7 Ranger/ 8 Bladedancer. Would i be better off with a RS Bard spec for a Long range sap? if so got any spec suggestion any help would be most appreciated.
    What is your spec? This has a lot to do with our mitigation. If not already using it try 51 RS/ 8 blade dancer/ 7 rng. Use side steps on harder hitting mobs and make sure you learn the pulls so you know when to pop cds.

He who conquers the left side rules the world

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by OneOverX View Post
    What spec are you? If you aren't 51 Riftstalker you're doing it wrong.
    51 RS/7 Ranger/ 8 Bladedancer. was in the garbled paragraph.

Heres my tank spec.... http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ozoM.xbdV0cMRG

- it has a disarm and interrupt
    - u can generate combo points faster than u can use them
    - motif of bravery and dauntless strike makes for nice party buffs
    - 21 sec side steps (Super OP) and CP's will stack like crazy

make a macro for:

#show planar strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast planar strike

then another for:

#show precision strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast precision strike
    cast quick strike
    cast keen strike

Pretty much if u keep moving fast enough where all ur buffs stay up all pulls will be easy but if u slow down and they all fall off may need to pop planar refuge on 5+ mob pulls just to have that 10 sec to put up RB,GS,FB......

that is all!

edit: i don't recommend using flash of steel to jump into a new pack of mobs unbuffed without the rift barrier ull get hit much harder
    Last edited by Shakeebones; 04-25-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Shakeebones View Post
    Heres my tank spec.... http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...ozoM.xbdV0cMRG

- it has a disarm and interrupt
    - u can generate combo points faster than u can use them
    - motif of bravery and dauntless strike makes for nice party buffs
    - 21 sec side steps (Super OP) and CP's will stack like crazy

make a macro for:

#show planar strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast planar strike

then another for:

#show precision strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast precision strike
    cast quick strike
    cast keen strike

Pretty much if u keep moving fast enough where all ur buffs stay up all pulls will be easy but if u slow down and they all fall off may need to pop planar refuge on 5+ mob pulls just to have that 10 sec to put up RB,GS,FB......

that is all!

edit: i don't recommend using flash of steel to jump into a new pack of mobs unbuffed without the rift barrier ull get hit much harder

this here is your problem, not going 51 points into riftstalker is missing out on ALOT of mitigation, hp, and missing 2 OH sht cooldowns. Reread Improved Guardian phase and Improved Rift Guard talents again in your riftstalker tree.

Telaran

51 RS/7 Ranger/ 8 Bladedancer. was in the garbled paragraph.
    At what point are you dying? Is it at a point where the healer just can't keep up after a certain amount of time?

There are a number of good threads in the forum about strats for RS tanking, and some of my most solid runs through t1 and t2 have been with RS tanks (myself or others).

The start that you posted builds 6 CPs btw

In the end, do what I do and just blame the healer. If you're keeping everything up the way you say you are and you're still dying then:
    1) healer isn't doing their job
    2) the dps is being stupid and taking too much incidental damage, thus straining the healer
    3) some encounter just require both a healer and support healer

At first blush I'm going to guess 1 or 2, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast