+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank Essences

Telaran

Question Tank Essences

Aight, so I'm pretty much the main tank in my guild as a rogue, first 2 bosses down of Greenscale.

I haven't really had issues with not enough HP yet nor issues with threat..

I push 11k hp self-buffed with the 51rs/8bladedancer/7bard build.

Current greater essences: Waning Shadesource and Crystallized Stonesource

I've seen the 55 endurance proc one, but I'd prefer a lesser essence with endurance/dodge/dex instead. :S

Anyone mind sharing what they chose and why?

Edit: For my lesser essences I have 4 you buy with Inscribed Sourcestones.

Whatever gives you the most Dodge/Parry with a slight nod towards Endurance. Generally the Essences seem to just swap the itemization of Endurance with Attack Power or Physical Crit so it really isn't much of a debate unless something just happens to have way more Avoidance stats than your current item despite a lack of Endurance.

Health is definitely not a problem for RS Tanks and you could actually get even more if you wanted with no gearing changes and just a spec change to Ranger out of BD (but I wouldn't recommend it, rather take the slight Health hit and drop Bard for Ranger and pick up the 4% damage reduction instead).

And the Endurance proc one is pretty much useless IMHO. Having excessive amounts of Health doesn't really help you all that much once you achieve certain EH thresholds for the encounters you're doing, so what good is extra RNG Health going to do? Reminds me of the debates on WoW about the stacking Stamina trinket from ICC where on even fast hitting fights, you could still lose your stacks entirely fairly often enough to make the extra Health completely unreliable.
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

Champion

and remember 1 dex = 1 dodge and 1 str = 1 parry

so even if an essence does or doesn't have a straight dodge/parry modifier its worth doing the stat calc.

Telaran

I thought saying I was in greenscale would not warrant silly comments "remember 1 dex = 1 dodge" no duh?

The question was mainly for greater essences because some proc heals some proc hp some proc damage absorbs.

I wanted to know what other rogues were using and why... and I get "go for gued stats mmk?"

I'm just going to assume all the other greenscale tanks took the same approach as me, rolling with 6 lesser essences.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaFrost View Post
    I thought saying I was in greenscale would not warrant silly comments "remember 1 dex = 1 dodge" no duh?

The question was mainly for greater essences because some proc heals some proc hp some proc damage absorbs.

I wanted to know what other rogues were using and why... and I get "go for gued stats mmk?"

I'm just going to assume all the other greenscale tanks took the same approach as me, rolling with 6 lesser essences.
    I went with a screaming stormshard and a crystalised stonesource.

Mostly because im not lacking in stats, but unique procs are fun! :P

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaFrost View Post

First: Being on Greenscale or in a raid in general hardly constitutes even basic knowledge some times. Some very very epic examples have surfaced in the past in other games of people pushing World First kills and citing "knowledge" that is flat out wrong, much to the amusement of many others.

Second: Heal/Shield procs are the closest thing to being considered for me as far as those things are concerned, with absorptions trumping healing as far as general principle is concerned. That being said, I go with raw stats over procs of any kind, particularly because Lessers tend to be the only nice source of Avoidance in that department, unless I've missed some "Chance to improve Dodge" proc lurking somewhere. Endurance and EH in general are largely stupidly abundant on an RS to begin with, gear or no gear, so improving other aspects of our overall survival takes precedence.

Rift Chaser

Primordial Faeshard would be the closest thing to that really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethernia View Post
    Primordial Faeshard would be the closest thing to that really.
    Now that's a nice one, where does it come from? I'd contemplate using that one depending on my current Dodge rates as well as ICD of the proc over a lesser.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fasc View Post
    Now that's a nice one, where does it come from? I'd contemplate using that one depending on my current Dodge rates as well as ICD of the proc over a lesser.
    Death rift raid, the other proc i use comes from the Air rift raid.

Soulwalker

Proc chance on Primoridal Faeshard is quite low, even on large packs of trash with side steps up it didnt proc until 5-6 sec in, 5% armor for 10 seconds with such an abysmal uptime is just not worth it imo and i intend to switch to 6x Maelow's Root when i'm able to.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by LeKith View Post
    Proc chance on Primoridal Faeshard is quite low, even on large packs of trash with side steps up it didnt proc until 5-6 sec in, 5% armor for 10 seconds with such an abysmal uptime is just not worth it imo and i intend to switch to 6x Maelow's Root when i'm able to.
    Yeah, let us know how that works out for you.

It drops off life raid rift, btw. Not death. Just saying.
    Roam - Guild Leader "Superiority Complex"

Plane Touched

yea maelow's is good....raid rifts in general have lotsa nice lesser essences for a great engine.

the ones you can buy from rift vendors are pretty good too, but you need lotsa epic stones from raid rifts....but they're pretty easy tbh if your doing GSB already, just need corrupted souls though to open lots of them.

i think the vendors for water resist have lesser essences with dex/end/dodge on them which are very nice....and ones for life have str/end/dodge...not quite as good, but pretty good...i have 2 greaters which proc alot from raid rifts, but in the end, im probably gonna roll with 6 lessers for superior stats, which will improve my tanking much more i believe

+ Reply to Thread