+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Whetstones...

Rift Disciple

Default Whetstones...

Is there an FAQ on them somewhere? Basically, I want to know how much they help. Is it just auto attacks? If it's ability damage too, is it worth it to put it on your offhand really? I'd guess not, as it only auto-attacks(I don't use BD abilities).

http://rift.zam.com/en/item/95E69493...site-Whetstone

Quote Originally Posted by Equis View Post
    Is there an FAQ on them somewhere? Basically, I want to know how much they help. Is it just auto attacks? If it's ability damage too, is it worth it to put it on your offhand really? I'd guess not, as it only auto-attacks(I don't use BD abilities).

http://rift.zam.com/en/item/95E69493...site-Whetstone
    I've herd they so of "Stack" and people hav had better results with double whetstones. I'm not 100% sure this is just from what I've read. Try it out for your self.
    Rehn - Rogue - <Cryptic> - Keenblade
    Five billion years ago our planet materialized from thin air More than a billion years later the miracle of life is formed And then A new breed amongst the variety of species sees the light of day Mankind Our numbers grow exponentially From 2 billion to a staggering 7 billion individuals in just 2 centuries Like a virus, we're consuming our host Instead of serving its cause Is this the scenario of our era? Are we out of control? Save, exit, planet
    <3 Frontliner - Song Below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5q-dl50hKs

Plane Touched

They up my dps by like 40 I think. They apply on every attack that uses the weapon you apply them to.

So if u use one to off-hand it will only apply its bonus to off-hand auto attacks generally (and soem other skills that use off-hand like serrated blades).

If you use on main-hand it will apply to all of your abilities plus auto attacks with your main hand.

Your offhand's dps does nothing on your special abilities.

As such you get a heavy dps increase by applying a whetstone on your mainhand and small decrease if you also apply to your offhand.

Ascendant

Does the 15% crit damage apply to only the off hand or does it apply to all crit damage?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DTM300 View Post
    Does the 15% crit damage apply to only the off hand or does it apply to all crit damage?
    15% crit damage is a 2-handed weapon enchant, so rogues can't use it. We only get the +12 weapon damage one, on each weapon. Kinda sucks.

Thanks for the answers btw, I'll try putting it on my offhand too.

Do Whetstones work on Ranged weapons? If not, is there some form of temporary damage buff similar to Whetstones that does work for Ranged weapons?
    "This server is going to be Gnarly, man."
    "We have enough cloth and wood to pitch a tent."

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by am0nr3 View Post
    Do Whetstones work on Ranged weapons? If not, is there some form of temporary damage buff similar to Whetstones that does work for Ranged weapons?
    Only ranged weapon enchant I know of is the one that has a chance to proc a silence on hit...

Quote Originally Posted by Equis View Post
    Only ranged weapon enchant I know of is the one that has a chance to proc a silence on hit...
    Thanks. Unfortunate that there is nothing to buff Ranged dps.
    "This server is going to be Gnarly, man."
    "We have enough cloth and wood to pitch a tent."

having 1 on each weapon gives me around 80 more damage on crits with savage strike
    http://sigcdn.siglaunch.com/sigs/rift/sig.php?sig_id=127292

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrah View Post
    As such you get a heavy dps increase by applying a whetstone on your mainhand and small decrease if you also apply to your offhand.
    I assume you mean a small increase.
    If buffing your offhand auto-attack damage gives you a dps decrease then there's definitely something wrong.
    Last edited by Noodz; 04-26-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrah View Post
    They up my dps by like 40 I think. They apply on every attack that uses the weapon you apply them to.

So if u use one to off-hand it will only apply its bonus to off-hand auto attacks generally (and soem other skills that use off-hand like serrated blades).

If you use on main-hand it will apply to all of your abilities plus auto attacks with your main hand.

Your offhand's dps does nothing on your special abilities.

You should parse this. Because my results, and those of several other rogues who tested them, disagree with several of your statements.

Applying a +12 whetstone to my mainhand increases my DPS as nightblade or sab by about 40-50. Applying a +12 whetstone to my offhand increases my DPS by... about 40-50. It doesn't make any sense, but everyone I know who has tested it has come to the same conclusion: Offhand whetstones increase your attack abilities that use your mainhand weapon.

Also, whetstones appear to increase your ranged weapon DPS too.

Combine this with how screwed up all of the weapon proc enchants are: You can put a rune on a weapon that gives it a proc, and then take that weapon off and use a different one, and you will still proc the rune that you no longer have equipped.

All in all there are some very strange things going on with weapon enhancements.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Noodz View Post
    I assume you mean a small increase.
    If buffing your offhand auto-attack damage gives you a dps decrease then there's definitely something wrong.
    yes obviously :P my bad ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Dinadass View Post
    You should parse this. Because my results, and those of several other rogues who tested them, disagree with several of your statements.

Applying a +12 whetstone to my mainhand increases my DPS as nightblade or sab by about 40-50. Applying a +12 whetstone to my offhand increases my DPS by... about 40-50. It doesn't make any sense, but everyone I know who has tested it has come to the same conclusion: Offhand whetstones increase your attack abilities that use your mainhand weapon.

Also, whetstones appear to increase your ranged weapon DPS too.

Combine this with how screwed up all of the weapon proc enchants are: You can put a rune on a weapon that gives it a proc, and then take that weapon off and use a different one, and you will still proc the rune that you no longer have equipped.

All in all there are some very strange things going on with weapon enhancements.
    yes indeed. you are right. Just tested it myself. strange things. Sorry for jumping to cocnlusions before testign it myself. Even damage of ranged auto attacks are affected by the whetstones. both of them even.

So to sum up: Use whetstones whatever ur spec, whatever weapons u use. :P

Plane Touched

For me, primal strike crits for 424 with no whetstones

with 2x whetstones it crits for 487

424 * 15% = 63.6 + 424 = 487

+12 whetstones are the same DPS increase as the +15% crit damage ones.
    Yes. Yes. No.

Actually there is a ranged coating that increases DPS by means of a posion. Although it seems pretty weak( just based on watching without a parse.

There is also a ranged coating with a chance to proc a snare.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Goest on Sunrest

I kill red people.

^^ Don't forget the one that procs a silence, it is hilariously OP in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by daays View Post
    For me, primal strike crits for 424 with no whetstones

with 2x whetstones it crits for 487

424 * 15% = 63.6 + 424 = 487

+12 whetstones are the same DPS increase as the +15% crit damage ones.
    Which is kind of irrelevant since the +15% crit damage ones are only for twohanders.
    Last edited by Dinadass; 04-26-2011 at 07:20 AM.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast