+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Endgame Riftstalker Raiding Guide

Plane Touched

Default [Guide] Endgame Riftstalker Raiding Guide

Hey fellow Rogues,

My name is Isomalt. I am in a Greenscale clearing guild called Unstable on the server Deepstrike. I have currently tanked every instance and raid boss currently released. I strongly believe that Rogue tanking is in a very good place, and should not be altered much if it is to remain balanced.

My MMO history has been slightly brief, filled mostly with high end WoW raiding. I resided in a top 100 guild throughout Ulduar, and ToGC, leaving shortly before ICC. Since then, I have played various MMO's, albeit not for long, and quite a bit of League of Legends.

I put together a guide, mostly detailing how I have tanked in raids/instances so far. I included rotations, skill descriptions (with talents factored in!), and the 2 macros I use.

I will be keeping this updated, and appreciate any feedback.

Guide: http://unstablerift.com/?q=node/171

-Isomalt

Thanks you for taking the time to put together this guide of yours.

Having looked through what you wrote, I use pretty much the same rotations, nice to have macros I can use, 1 less button to press

Just a quick question regarding using Bard over Ranger.
    Is the 2% Crit / hit reduction better than the flat 4% dmg reduction ( Not counting the 5% extra health )
    if so why would you say ?

Thanks in advance.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kiskaa View Post
    Thanks you for taking the time to put together this guide of yours.

Having looked through what you wrote, I use pretty much the same rotations, nice to have macros I can use, 1 less button to press

Just a quick question regarding using Bard over Ranger.
    Is the 2% Crit / hit reduction better than the flat 4% dmg reduction ( Not counting the 5% extra health )
    if so why would you say ?

Thanks in advance.
    I've found that while 2% seems like a very small amount, quite a few "misses" from raid bosses show up in my combat logs. These are not dodges, or parries either, but actual an actual "miss" The damage avoided by that just seems too good to not take.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I`ll give that a bit more of a looking into then, I cant comment on GSB, since im only doing T2 atm.
    I can imagine completely avoiding a Raid Boss hit would be better than 4% reduced dmg of it landing, also I guess the 5% extra health in a raid enviroment + buffs etc would be quite handy. Just hasnt seemed neccessery (<sp?) so far.

I`ll try this out and see how it goes and start paying a bit more attention to my parses.
    Also since your in GSB content, how is Leather Tank itemization in there, since outside of GSB atleast its none existent apart from the odd very poor item. Or do you have to rely on badge/token gear again ?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kiskaa View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I`ll give that a bit more of a looking into then, I cant comment on GSB, since im only doing T2 atm.
    I can imagine completely avoiding a Raid Boss hit would be better than 4% reduced dmg of it landing, also I guess the 5% extra health in a raid enviroment + buffs etc would be quite handy. Just hasnt seemed neccessery (<sp?) so far.

I`ll try this out and see how it goes and start paying a bit more attention to my parses.
    Also since your in GSB content, how is Leather Tank itemization in there, since outside of GSB atleast its none existent apart from the odd very poor item. Or do you have to rely on badge/token gear again ?
    The extra health really is nice.

Itemization is about to change completely with the addition of the new gear, so I can't comment too much. So far I have been relying on Token pieces. The weapons/rings/amulets are quite nice though.

Currently, the largest thing I feel rogue tanks are missing as far as itemization, is an epic trinket, and worthwhile Great Planar Esences.

Heh having just asked that and gone over todays patch notes

DUNGEONS AND RAIDS
    * Over 100 new item drops have been added to Expert Dungeons and Raids!

Hopefully thats some of our missing gear ^^

Banned

Can someone comment on the 30 second aggro generation skills? 30 seconds sounds like a long time to me when you probably need to use more then 1 to grab aggro and keep aggro on many targets.

Rift Chaser

Good guide, there are a few others on the forums, but they all had me stop reading after the first line or so.

If you are just learning how to tank, give this a read.

The spec is good, though if the reader is doing t1/t2's rather then greenscale, consider putting a point in Anthem of Glory, if you don't run with a bard/archon.

Isomalt is in the ball with awesome guides.

Banned

Need to rework how you present the rotations. If you're just changing 1 or 2 skills like a finisher then you dont need to list the entire rotation again. Saying you need to do 6 different rotations make it look much harder then it is and throws people away.

Currently, the largest thing I feel rogue tanks are missing as far as itemization, is an epic trinket, and worthwhile Great Planar Esences.
    I don't know i'm pretty happy with my GPE which can trigger +55Endurance and with the other which can trigger a Damage Shield.

As for the Trinket, i'Ve got the blue Trinket from Cascade Expert. A chance for an ~ 4xx Heal (More like 500 with our passive) for each MELEE Attack.

I think the combination of those is pretty damn good.
    Last edited by U₪ʭ҉¥ _Ħ; 04-08-2011 at 01:30 AM.

Soulwalker

site down?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicit View Post
    Need to rework how you present the rotations. If you're just changing 1 or 2 skills like a finisher then you dont need to list the entire rotation again. Saying you need to do 6 different rotations make it look much harder then it is and throws people away.
    I guess I should put a disclaimer on the rotations. I can do that when I get home. The rotations are for highest possible threat, which means using Phantom Blow as little as possible. So yes, 6 rotations are needed to maintain the highest possible threat, Phantom Blow, and the Rift Disturbance debuff.

The rotations are more of a guideline, as most people won't actually count out their attacks, but rather watch the cooldown on their buffs.

I use that greater as well, but as for my second greater, well, I use a lesser. The shield just does not proc enough for it to be worth it when I can get some 30 points of avoidance and 17 or so endurance.

As far as trinkets, Song of Lost Souls is very nice and I use it for GS, as its heals are not effected by Noxious Fumes. I also use Crustacean Talisman, but I find its debuff hard to maintain because the proc chance is quite low.

Site is up, must have been some late night maintenance. :P

nice stuff, my build only differs slightly as i took ranger instead of bard, 5% less hp gives me ranged combo point generator/finisher as well as 46AP for more threat. for many pulls i can get a 5pt RG up before the boss touches me once, not always needed but still nice at times. and being able to dps when the fight has you kiting is always nice bonus.

not in a raid yet but can tank all t2s no problem and glad they added t2 tank gear so i can get some upgrades! sux not having any tank upgrades for weeks and weeks!
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

For the rotations, is using Annihilate even necessary? Instead of using that you could just use ]False Blade again, it does the equivalent damage and it refreshes/applies the 5% dodge chance. Seems like Annihilate would be a waste of an action bar key in my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast