+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marksman DPS builds?

Soulwalker

Default Marksman DPS builds?

Just wondering if anyone has any good DPS Marksman builds, I have a stealth Marksman/Assassin build that I built mostly for pvp however due to the lack of Guardians on my server I have mostly been running expert dungeons and find myself struggling to break the 400 dps mark.

The Spec can be found here.

Now the gear that I am using at the moment isnt as good as it could be however it is what you would expect one should have for attempting the starter T1 dungeons, so is there something wrong with my spec or do I just need better gear?

I know the stealth skills are kind of useless in a dungeon setting so I can syphon a few points from there for a pure dungeon build, however even so I built this spec for pvp however if it cant do decent damage in a dungeon setting then how can I expect to do damage in a pvp setting? Should I drop stealth altogether for both pvp and pve? I was really hoping not to have to spec into the ranger tree however at this point it would seem that the Marksman on its own cannot succeed with out some points in the ranger tree.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Soulwalker

Nobody has any suggestions?

Soulwalker

Nobody has suggestions because, frankly, if you want DECENT DPS as a ranged rogue, you need to be a Sab. Marksman has energy issues and mediocre DPS to boot.

Unfortunately MM is a PvP soul. Great burst but lack sustained DPS. Energy is another problem.

The only viable one is 51 MM as you NEED Sniper's Pedestal (+30% dmg boost) other 15 I would go with NB

5/5 Blazing Fury +15% dmg on combo skills
    5/5 Coup De Grace+15% dmg on finishers
    2/2 Melted Skin +5% dmg
    3/3 Fire and Death Attunement +3% dmg

That's +68% dmg boost to all combo generating and finisher attacks!

Get fully buffed and have chloro/bard in party with you and test the build.

Champion

I've messed around with MM a bit lately, even though I know it isn't stellar; I just hate playing Sab, and I hate using a pet. Luckily, since I don't get to DPS much (I'm primarily a tank), no one really has cause to complain about what I can pull in the occasional expert run.

Last night I poked and prodded my talents around to look like: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oV0V.VhtMhoxzo. The only concessions to utility are On The Double and Repelling Shot, which could be moved into DPS talents, I'm sure.

I tried with and without Nightblade 20m talents, and I ended up finding that maintaining Fiery Spike on the target was a substantial DPS loss, mostly because it turned off Ranged Auto Attack when it was used. I wound up just firing:

Swift Shot x5 -> Rapid Fire Shot
    Swift Shot x5 -> SoD
    Swift Shot x5 -> Hasted Shot

And Ebon Fury -> Twilight Force/Dusk Strike spam on cooldown (not sure yet if this is actually a DPS gain or not).

Standing in the 18-point pedestal when I could, of course. With a Chloro in the group for the 10% energy cost reduction aura, I had about 660 dps on Skarn, only really losing firing time for a few seconds during a couple of his air phases when I had to run around fires.

I'm in a mix of T2 blues and purples with maybe a couple of T1 items.

Obviously not the best dps in the rogue's arsenal, but it's acceptable for my limited purposes.
    Last edited by Lucubration; 04-08-2011 at 05:21 AM.

Soulwalker

Ok thanks for your input guys however unfortunately none of it looks very promising, I guess at this point I am wondering if I should just play a different spec for the time being and hope Trion give the Marksman spec a bit of love in future patches.

And on that note does anyone know a good Bard spec ?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lucubration View Post
    I've messed around with MM a bit lately, even though I know it isn't stellar; I just hate playing Sab, and I hate using a pet. Luckily, since I don't get to DPS much (I'm primarily a tank), no one really has cause to complain about what I can pull in the occasional expert run.

Last night I poked and prodded my talents around to look like: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oV0V.VhtMhoxzo. The only concessions to utility are On The Double and Repelling Shot, which could be moved into DPS talents, I'm sure.

I tried with and without Nightblade 20m talents, and I ended up finding that maintaining Fiery Spike on the target was a substantial DPS loss, mostly because it turned off Ranged Auto Attack when it was used. I wound up just firing:

Swift Shot x5 -> Rapid Fire Shot
    Swift Shot x5 -> SoD
    Swift Shot x5 -> Hasted Shot

And Ebon Fury -> Twilight Force/Dusk Strike spam on cooldown (not sure yet if this is actually a DPS gain or not).

Standing in the 18-point pedestal when I could, of course. With a Chloro in the group for the 10% energy cost reduction aura, I had about 660 dps on Skarn, only really losing firing time for a few seconds during a couple of his air phases when I had to run around fires.

I'm in a mix of T2 blues and purples with maybe a couple of T1 items.

Obviously not the best dps in the rogue's arsenal, but it's acceptable for my limited purposes.
    I love MM and so i use it in PVP and PVE. For PVE i basically do exactly as is quoted here, and it is very good (but not great) dps. I use the pedestal... but I seriously despise the damn thing. In greenblight, pedestals are friggin useless, all bosses require constant moving, which is a good thing but.... why have pedestals at all then? Even many/most T1/2 bosses seem to use this.

My gear is something to be desired, which might explain why my dps is low-midway on my guilds parses.

Trion needs to buff MM, and remove pedestals imo. Mages already have the equiv of pedestals, with mroe versatility and utility. Why give us rogues a ****ty knockoff of a mechanic that is already in place in a different calling? give us something different, something more in line with our mobility.

I think we should have buffs that give us 1% increased dmg per stack, increasing stacks every 1 second that we do not move, with 51 pt ability being a better buff that is 3% per stack. Movement resets stack to 1. This is someone else's idea form these forums, and it sound awesome. Maintains balance and mobility, but rewards standing still. Makes sense from a gunman/archer standpoint too.
    Last edited by Bartimus; 04-08-2011 at 09:48 AM.

Its sad, i like playing the MM, but right now its to weak. Hopefully theyll bump it up, and then i will play it again
    http://sigcdn.siglaunch.com/sigs/rift/sig.php?sig_id=127292

Soulwalker

The OP's spec is perfect for 1 shotting people. Go stalk a guardian/defiant and wait for them to get by the edge of a huge cliff and use your MM punt move. Its amazing

+ Reply to Thread