+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Remember: Stealth is not a reason

Default Remember: Stealth is not a reason

I play a rogue.. kinda. I'm a slow leveler. I have real life stuff like work and kids and sports. So ya, I guess I am not "qualified" to speak on level 50 specs and related conversations. That said, I've got something to say about/to all the people who, in the past few weeks have tried to sell me(us) on Stealth being a huge advantage in Rift and therefore, they can justify any imbalance in Rogue DpS or class in general.
    1. Stealth for Sabos was in 99% of the cases a 30 second ability.
    2. Any damage like AoE or even Falling will break Stealth. (like almost all Roots or Incapacitates)
    Stealth is not a reason. Period. Stealth is tantamount to a charge, blink, or even a good root or snare. Stealth only helps you (in PvP) get into or out of situations..just like charge, blink, root, or snare. The ONLY difference is that it ONLY affects the rogue.

We should not lose 200~ish DpS because we have stealth.

Next time you read or hear someone selling the stealth snake oil, remind them they are full of tihs.

Go sell crazy somewhere else. We're all full-up here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdertrain
    That this post found it to page three is reprehensible. It's the best one I've seen since I started playing Rift. "find some balance in your life..." Some people could learn from that. Not only is it an awesomely hilarious post, but informative too. +10 internets.

Stealth is a huge advantage. However, it is neither universal nor an excuse to reduce engaged output by any degree. It's an engagement control mechanic and, as such, only applies to the burst right out of stealth as that damage is, more or less, guaranteed. Once that first few seconds is gone (for sure once that first energy bar is used) then the stealth advantage no longer applies.

I haven't seen any reasonably argued posts suggesting that stealth should equate to a direct dps decrease. Ranting, drooling and gibbering, yes but nothing rational.

Edit: People often confuse pressure dps and burst output in a PvP scenario and believe that the application of the two has the same results. These people do not understand how PvP works.
    Last edited by exLupo; 04-07-2011 at 01:00 PM.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Shadowlander

Stealth is also a little more than just a charge, root, or blink. Stealth also attributes to the element of surprise. Having your existence not known is more powerful than being known and charging in at someone. This is why warriors can have such high HP and plate armor to make up for their berserk "READY OR NOT, HERE I COME!"-nature, charging in or even just standing there and soaking up massive amounts of damage, and why assassins pretty much don't deserve to get anything else. But some people might claim that we do have tools given to make up for it.

So what do Assassins get to make up for their stealth?

Poisons?

Bleeds?

CC-Blinding Powder/Poison Gas?

Enduring Brew?

Our 5 point final blow mechanic?

Stuns?

High dodge?

I make the claim that none of the above makes up for it because nothing does. Unlike in other RPGs, in Rift, everything the assassin gets other classes can do the same or better. I think the rogue depends entirely on its stealth mechanic, solely, and they get their job done with the element of surprise as its primary function. I also feel this is truly how an assassin should be. It works most of the time too, but here's the problem! Stealth, slip away, and hidden veil are so bugged that it really just doesn't work in the end.

Stealth and Slip Away fail 10% sometimes 40% of the time. So the one mechanic we rely on is a bugged one and needs patched fast.

Some obvious solutions: Either fix Stealth, Slip Away, and Hidden Veil bugs or give the assassin another mechanic to make up for the bugginess. Like more powerful poisons that adds all poisons the rogue has in his memory into 1 poison buff coat on both weapons. So one poison proc would apply all poison debuffs.

A less obvious solution would be to give assassin a whole new role for PvP. The Assassin could specialize in killing certain targets but only one type of target, depending on armor type. So you could specialize in doing extra damage to cloth, leather and chain, or plate. But only one. Move Slip Away to the root and replace it with these armor destruction specializations. Make it work off of Expose Armor.

Then also give them an ability I remember from Warhammer Online, it locks you and the target into place and the two of you have to fight it out for 6 seconds. You'd have to wait in hiding for the right moment to make your assassination attempt a successful one.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmicRedX View Post
    Then also give them an ability I remember from Warhammer Online, it locks you and the target into place and the two of you have to fight it out for 6 seconds. You'd have to wait in hiding for the right moment to make your assassination attempt a successful one.
    The Swordmaster's "Champion's Challenge".

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Geia View Post
    The Swordmaster's "Champion's Challenge".
    Well, while I'm at it, I thought I would brainstorm a little more.

It would also be cool if this ability allows the rogue to move and the other player gets dragged along with them, so you could drag enemy players in the bushes and behind trees/rocks/alleys.

Would have other uses too like trying to drag them off a cliff but not if the ability is programmed well so that they stay on ground.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmicRedX View Post
    Well, while I'm at it, I thought I would brainstorm a little more.

It would also be cool if this ability allows the rogue to move and the other player gets dragged along with them, so you could drag enemy players in the bushes and behind trees/rocks/alleys.

Would have other uses too like trying to drag them off a cliff but not if the ability is programmed well so that they stay on ground.
    A lot of the tank classes in WAR had a similar ability. I remember having it on my Ironbreaker, but not using it all that often.

As far as dragging them into the bushes... I do the opposite with Repelling Shot and Crossfire, punting opponents off cliffs. Death through falling damage is still dead.

+ Reply to Thread