+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motif of Encouragement

Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar

Default Motif of Encouragement

WTF?!

What a waisted talent. When other classes get a 36 point ability that is actually worth a damn, the bard gets an ability that encourages critters to follow them for 15 seconds.

REALLY TRION? Who's ******ed idea was this? Explain to me when this ability would ever be useful?

I love your game trion, but c'mon man!?
    Last edited by Drizzt of the Underdark; 04-07-2011 at 11:18 AM.
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

I don't think any other soul gets a 36 point talent.

Its a freebee which use to be something, but instead of getting rid of it, they just made a token skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostish View Post
    I don't think any other soul gets a 36 point talent.

Its a freebee which use to be something, but instead of getting rid of it, they just made a token skill.
    Perhaps I should re-phrase that. Because not every class unlocks abilities at the same time, I should have said rather that no other class gets an ability as worthless as "motif of encouragement."

As it stands now, it's kind of a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt of the Underdark View Post
    Perhaps I should re-phrase that. Because not every class unlocks abilities at the same time, I should have said rather that no other class gets an ability as worthless as "motif of encouragement."

I've been wondering about this skill for a while now; it's just... I don't even know where to begin.

- Vybz
    Quote Originally Posted by Fia View Post
    I just want to be able to survive for 10 seconds when having 2 dps on me, I don't think that's too much to ask for.
    Dedicated to the Rogues who stuck it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKoxTymkUTU
    Dedicated to the Rogue QQers and Haters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owzhYNcd4OM

As mentioned earlier, the old effect was moved to another ability in the talent tree (single target mez). Instead of removing it entirely they decided to give us something fun instead. It wasn't a choice of this or something game-changing. It was this or the ability would be removed. It's just a fun little perk.

From the Beta 6 patch notes:

* New Root ability - Verse of Captivation: Available at 34 points, replaces Motif of Encouragement. Mesmerizes an enemy for 8 seconds. Any damage on the enemy removes the effect. Mez lockdown! Can only be used on one target at a time.
    * Motif of Encouragement: Rather than removing this entirely, it now causes up to 5 surrounding critter mobs to follow the Bard. Lasts 15 seconds. Yes, that means you can have a squirrel army.
    Last edited by Enygmatik; 04-07-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    Srilan <Memento Mori> - 50 Bahmi Mage - US-Shadefallen
    Ziva <Memento Mori> - 50 Eth Rogue - US-Shadefallen

My suggestion? Get rid of this skill and replace it with a Resurrection spell/song. It's really annoying that Rogue is the only calling that cannot Rez anyone without planar charges.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sozu View Post
    My suggestion? Get rid of this skill and replace it with a Resurrection spell/song. It's really annoying that Rogue is the only calling that cannot Rez anyone without planar charges.
    I would really like a rez spell, but they can give us that and leave motif of encouragement in as well. I know it doesn't do anything useful, but I like "BS" type skills that are fun just for the goof-off factor. It adds flavor to the game.

Rift Chaser

The only souls that get a 36 pt. root ability are cleric souls (and even then not all of them get it).

All Mage, Rogue, and Warrior souls get a 32pt and a 38pt. Bard gets those as well, and then gets the freebie 36pt. flavor ability.

If you pretend it simply isn't there, the Bard progression looks the same as all other Rogue, Mage, and Warrior soul progressions.

EDIT: not sure why it works this way. I would think all souls would get a pretty major ability at 36pts, as that's the cutoff to prevent you from getting a second 31pt. talent.
    Last edited by hairlessOrphan; 04-07-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Orphan <Prophecy>

Soulwalker

Yes, it is. A bit of fun, that's all.

But an additional bit of fun - it doesn't replace anything - no other rogue soul has a talent between 32 and 38, bard has two (one of which, the mez at 34, is indeed useful).

So really, stop complaining. It's a jovial bonus, if you don't like it, don't use it.

~ST.

I get what you are all saying, I suppose it is kind of fun to play peter piper rounding up the rats. Now if only I had an instant AoE farming critter tears (artifacts) might be semi-profitable on the AH. :P

Shadowlander

They should make it where the critters are the opposing factions pet in pvp and the critter defends the Bard for 15 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread