+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is Assassin a Good Main?

Rift Disciple

Default Is Assassin a Good Main?

I have an Assassin who is low level.

Reading these posts, I get the impression that Assassin is either good as a main at low level, or good as a secondary or tertiary at higher levels.

Is Assassin a good primary at high levels?

Is it better to use Blade Dancer as a main?

Assassin has great abilities that make every other soul in the rogue tree shine, 17 assassin is pretty much guarantee'd for any serious dps build in the rogue tree, be it melee or ranged.

With that said, Assassin should not be used as a main soul for pve dps as no other soul can complement it like it complements others.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGantz View Post
    Is Assassin a good primary at high levels?
    No. The burst in PVP is laughable, and the sustained in PVE is also laughable. It is, unfortunately, rather underpowered in comparison to Nightblade.

Is it better to use Blade Dancer as a main?
    It depends on your build, and what you play (PVE or PVP). BD contains a mix of offensive and defensive talents that can be tailored to either scenario.
    Villainelle
    <Momentum>
    DEFIANT | SHATTERBONE US

the sin is great imo. it is up, but in pvp i can kill a guy before he knows i hit him. i normally rank top 4 in wf for most damage and kills

Quote Originally Posted by Hartzekar View Post
    the sin is great imo. it is up, but in pvp i can kill a guy before he knows i hit him. i normally rank top 4 in wf for most damage and kills
    doubt you're 50 then
    DerpStrike: Seriisbad (Rogue) Seriismad (Mage)
    Dark Age of Camelot: Retired after 10 years
    RR10 Bard / RR9 Warden / RR9 NS / RR10 Enchanter / RR11 Theurg
    Final Fantasy 11 Online - Retired after 7 years
    www.bringvictory.com

Rift Disciple

Thanks for the replies.

I PVE.

I get the impression that Assassin is good for PVP, but only good as a secondary or tertiary for PVE

Rift Chaser Drizzt of the Underdark's Avatar

Thanks for the replies.

I PVE.

I get the impression that Assassin is good for PVP, but only good as a secondary or tertiary for PVE
    LOL!

K well do me a favor, don't attack a cleric as a sin EVER! They will outheal your laughable dps, even your bursts can be outhealed. Now that I think of it, if you see a warrior with a swoard and board don't attack them either.. and you probably should leave mages alone too...

If you see a rogue, you should be ok, attack the hell out of rogues!!
    When I get sad, I stop being sad, and be awesome instead. ~ Barney Stinson

Plane Walker

A good rogue is going to switch through specs based on what they are doing. I have an aoe spec for dungeons (sab or rang/mm) and a single target (sin). The assassins single target dips are just fine, there is just a lot of qq'ing in the forums. You can certainly kill mages with them unless you're a nub, you just need to be smart about it.

Warriors seem to be my bane from a pvp standpoint. Clerics are mostly hard to take down too, unless they suck.

Rogue is super fun to play imo, and many will agree. Don't play any MMO based on the flavor of the month, as it always changes.

Telaran

I can't find a heavy assassin build that works as well for pve yet. Some people do alright with it though. Most groups won't really notice the difference.

For pvp I usualy play a 40 sin/21 riftstalker/5 infiltrator with pretty good results. Have more trouble with some of the better ranged rogues than the majority of warriors. Can kill the majority of mages, and can bother clerics long enough for someone to come and help me.

While it has pretty good survivability and you can kill a lot of people, you are still nearly always at a disadvantage against most classes. If you fight someone that knows what they are doing chances are they will win.

Pure assassin is fun but the dps is laughable and survivability doesn't exist.

PVP and probably PVE.
    Last edited by Celestian; 04-07-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

Quote Originally Posted by Hlaode View Post
    For pvp I usualy play a 40 sin/21 riftstalker/5 infiltrator.
    Why just 5? Cleanse Soul looks like it would macro perfectly with Slip so you don't get those secondary ticks breaking your stealth.
    There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die at the end of your blade.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
    Why just 5? Cleanse Soul looks like it would macro perfectly with Slip so you don't get those secondary ticks breaking your stealth.
    I nearly always have hidden viel up, which gives me a nice safety net should I need it. Unless I walk into an aoe or something before I attack. I'd be great to have, and even more so anathema, but I can't bring myself to give up hidden veil or the extra points in riftstalker.

Rift Chaser

Assassin is a fantasic main choice for PVE. I tear through everything and have never had so much fun in an MMO (Level 47 now).

BD is a great secondary soul if you are soloing.

+ Reply to Thread