+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate BARD PvP Build/Guide

Telaran

Default Ultimate BARD PvP Build/Guide

The following Spec is a PVP Bard spec. IE Not for DPS whatsoever. A good Bards role will be to debuff enemies, and get AoE heals off as frequently as possible. I consistently top the healing meters in 90% of my games against Clerics all the time.

I am not amazingly geared. I am Rank 3 with the rest crafted BoE epics.

Offensive Stats:
    Dexterity and Attack Power is going to make your Cadence hit harder, thus increasing the amount each tick heals for, so those are your main attributes.

Defensive Stats:
    Endurance and Valor.

PvE gear is not needed folks, in fact, I'd discourage it. As Rogues you already know we are the SQUISHIEST class in the game at the moment, and as a healer we are focused more often than not as Bard, so the best gear to have is PvP gear! (Except for the DSM trinket which I have not been able to get a group for yet.)

Personally, I keybind every ability, that includes Anthems, Fanfares, Motifs, etc. Why? Because it is important to switch your anthems based off of what your group is taking for damage at that very moment. If one of my guys has a Rogue on him and nobody else, I'll do the armor Anthem, but... 2 Pyro's show up, then I'll switch to the magical resistance Anthem. It's important to look out for these things.

Also, you can have multiple anthems, so if you see other bards, coordinate which Anthems you will use to maximize your raids DPS/Defensive stats.

Your rotation for max healing should look like the following:

Cadence -> Power Chord -> Coda of Restoration | Cadence gives 3 combo points, Power chord gives 2 |

I found that getting the burst heals out as quickly as possible is significantly more important than going "Cadence -> Cadence -> Coda" in the majority of situations.

Since Bards have an awful range, your target SHOULD ALWAYS be a melee, or a pet. You don't do significant damage, don't go running behind enemy lines to "help" DPS a healer. You do about 100 DPS a second with this build. Stay as far away from targeting range as you can while able to provide heals, buffs to your group. So you wait for a melee to charge across and combo point him up.

After the battle has already been engaged and you can move around a bit more freely it is okay to switch to a ranged DPS if there are no melee to build combo points off of.

Coda of Distress/Cowardice

Also, when you have lots of heals going around, and Coda of Restoration is not important, you can HELP your raid FURTHER by using Coda of Distress and Coda of Cowardice. Coda of Distress gives all enemies nearby your target a debuff that increases magical damage by 7%, Cowardice gives all enemies nearby your target a debuff that increases physical damage by 7%. It is important to use those when heals aren't needed to maximize your raids DPS output. Moar Damage, good heals = Successful battles.

In big battles I pop Virtuoso and spam Coda of Restoration to keep my raid alive. The above is pretty standard information for a Bard. Now I'm going to link my spec and go further:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....EIdob0szqz.Vh

Right off the bat you will see 24 Riftstalker, 34 Bard, and 8 Nightblade.

I'll start with Bard first.

If you notice, I skipped every talent that affected DPS, Anthems, or Fanfares. The little bit you lose from those is not important. You are not there to DPS, you are an AoE healer that can be extremely affective in turning the tide in fights. As a bard you provide the toughest job, keeping buffs, staying alive, and healing EVERYONE, note I didn't say damage.

Okay, 24 Riftstalker, holy ****, that's a lot to put in another tree... why so much? Riftstalker is just loaded with amazing talents that provide incredible survivability. The first two tiers are self explanatory as to why I'd choose those talents, as you move to the third tier you see Rift Barrier which gives you a shield every time you planar shift, then the fourth Tier which gives you shadow assault.

Shadow Assault - another teleport you can use.

Next tier is Planar Refuge, upon use gives you a 30% damage reduction. Need I say more?

Improved Rift Barrier: Self Explanatory

Hasted Time: Amazing for kiting.

Now going that deep into Riftstalker gives you FOUR teleports. One of which you can face in any direction and go forward, the other 3 require you to actually target someone and port behind them. Do not use those ports on the guy that is focusing you, swap to another target and port behind that person. Then target something else and port to that. The reason you do this is because it confuses melee, causes them to get bored and find another target.

Now lets look at the abilities that you gain:

Shadow Stalk is very important because it is useable while stunned/snared, so when these situations happen, USE IT. It will get you out of a long 5 second stun in an instant.

Shadow Blitz: Another teleport

Planebound Resilience: 42 stamina buff (Hell yeah?)

Guardian Phase: The uses for this ability is amazing. While being focused you can pop this and have amazing damage mitigation and easily achieving over 7k HP. I currently sit at 7500 HP self buffed in Guardian Phase and can have upwards of 80% mitigation with CD's popped and still healing at the same time and can survive 2-3 targets beating on me.

Another good use for Guardian Phase is in a big heated battle where you know you are going to need to pop virtuoso and spam Coda of Restoration to keep heals spread onto everyone. Guardian Phase does not reduce the amount you HEAL by 30%, only your damage.

It is important to remember to switch OUT of Guardian Phase though, since Cadence heals are directly affected by it. 30% less damage on cadence means 30% less raid heal ticks.

I'm going to update this further with more information, didn't have as much time to write it as I'd like.

I'm posting it because unless you are fully Greenscale geared with 40 DPS weapons which I know 98% of you are not, by going this spec and healing your Warfront groups you WILL be significantly more useful than that ****ty geared Rogue who tickles Clerics.

You want to be considered useful in a Warfront? Go Bard.

Mega out
    Last edited by Megatf; 04-07-2011 at 07:45 AM.

Thumbs up

Very well said! I run almost the same build for my bard as well. You explained everything very well and I have to give you a thumbs up!

just curious,
    what type of macros do you use?
    DerpStrike: Seriisbad (Rogue) Seriismad (Mage)
    Dark Age of Camelot: Retired after 10 years
    RR10 Bard / RR9 Warden / RR9 NS / RR10 Enchanter / RR11 Theurg
    Final Fantasy 11 Online - Retired after 7 years
    www.bringvictory.com

Telaran

I actually don't use any Macros, I haven't seen any around or lack the creativity to come up with something good, what do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatf View Post
    I actually don't use any Macros, I haven't seen any around or lack the creativity to come up with something good, what do you use?
    I don't use any macros either. F1-F9 is my friend
    www.bringvictory.com

Telaran

Bard is the one class I think where you don't need Macros, but if someone has something they'd like to share, please do.

Can you elaborate more about not getting Stage Presence?

Since, I try to keep them up. The bonus from 5/5 doesn't help?

Telaran

Those 5 talent points can net you more in Riftstalker

0/5 Stage presence makes Fanfare of Vigor and Power only give 40 Endurance or Dexterity.
    5/5 Gives you 52 Endurance or Dexterity

What you can gain in Rifstalker is better than 12 dexterity or stamina. Guardian Phase, 15% increased Endurance, teleports, 30% damage reduction ability, etc.

Your choice really, but I think the latter is significantly more important.
    Last edited by Megatf; 04-07-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Bard is the one class I think where you don't need Macros, but if someone has something they'd like to share, please do.
    If only macros on Rift were like macros on FF11 Online. Could macro for Power Cord to cast right after Cadence

something like:

cast Cadence
    wait 2
    cast Power

but then again, that'd solve buffs too :P
    www.bringvictory.com

Ya, I was enjoying riftstalker in pvp too. I use rift with my pvp build and ranger for my pve build. I'm just curious why we don't use our pvp soul. Is it that bad?

Shadowlander
    Stop Drop and Troll
    Stonecrest - PVP US Guild
    Give Bards a real 36pt talent

I like this thread, your making me think outside the box a little on what I should being to the table.

So, one of you kept resonance and the other didn't.
    I guess the same logic, the % gains just isn't enough to justify?

I guess 5% dex isn't much. if the base was 100, what did 105 net.
    Last edited by Bostish; 04-07-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Telaran

Personally the reason why I kept resonance is that it affects ALL stats, and EVERYONE in your raid's stats.

So the gain is significantly higher for that talent. It might seem small to just you, but across every single stat, wisdom, dex, endurance, etc it's far more useful.

Personally the reason why I kept resonance is that it affects ALL stats, and EVERYONE in your raid's stats.

So the gain is significantly higher for that talent. It might seem small to just you, but across every single stat, wisdom, dex, endurance, etc it's far more useful.
    right, I don't think i really disagreed. Just looking from different perspective. If you could save about 6 more points in bard, you could reach planer shift. I know it doesn't happen all the time. But being able to move your combo points from one target to another expecially under the effect of Virt could be handy?

3 pt Cadence followed by 2 pt Cadence requires the exact same amount of time as 3 pt Cadence followed by Power Chord.

Cadence takes 2 seconds to cast, in total, which is 3 ticks. Tick 1 is at time = 0, tick 2 at time = 1 s, tick 3 at time = 2 s. If you cancel Cadence after tick 2, it's taken you 1 s to build 2 CP and does more damage and group healing than Power Chord.

Power Chord is nice when you are on the move, though, which is more likely in PvP.
    "This server is going to be Gnarly, man."
    "We have enough cloth and wood to pitch a tent."

Soulwalker

Power chord will NOT maximize your healing, you do realize it takes the same time to get 2 combopoints from cadence as it does with power chord? We have this little thing called global cooldown u know power chord is only good when moving, a stepped of cadence take just as long time as an power chord 8)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast