+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue marksman/ranger and ...?

Shadowlander

Question Rogue marksman/ranger and ...?

ive just reached endgame and im wondering about the last soul to pick up..
    right now im using Ranger 28 points, marksman 32 points and assassin 7, but would it be better for me to have nightblade and sacrafice the 5% crit from sin for 15%combo point damage and 15% finisher damage? also would hellfire blades work with ranged weapons?

thanks.

For PVP or PVE?

In PVP ranger/marksman is crap.
    In PVE ranger/marksman is crap.
    Last edited by Kaladai; 04-07-2011 at 07:40 AM.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladai View Post
    For PVP or PVE?

it will be for PVE

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladai View Post
    For PVP or PVE?

I hope that's not true cause I am having a blast leveling as Ranger/MM/Sab. Granted the pet dies too easily but it holds aggro surprisingly well in PVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunada View Post
    I hope that's not true cause I am having a blast leveling as Ranger/MM/Sab. Granted the pet dies too easily but it holds aggro surprisingly well in PVE.
    It is kind of true at the moment, rogue ranged dps is very subpar with other classes. However the game is obviously new and things will get balanced in time I am certain so you should still play the class you find to be fun. Right now I use 51pt Ranger in experts for trash (trickshot and rain of arrows plus raptor are nice dps) and change to bard on bosses as ranged dps just doesnt bring enough to the fight.

I would invest heavily into ranger. Past 40 pts. Remainder in nb or sin. Put zero in mm so you can still use swift shot allowing quickshots bleed from ranger to run its course.
    Archwolf of <Serenity> Ranger 39 / Assassin 17 / Nightblade 10 Server: Hammerlord.

Telaran

My preferred playstyle is ranged dps. Pet is not a big deal to me, I don't want to be overly dependent on it, but I don't mind using it.

I'm still levelling, and have been experimenting with various combinations as I level.

Ranger(xx)/Assassin(17)/Nightblade(12)
    - not sufficient versatility in ranged shots.
    - I find myself going into melee very often (with pet assist)
    - I just got way too frustrated with the lack of ranged options

MarksMan/Assassin/Nightblade
    - very nice to play, but sucks to level without a pet
    - world is too crowded to kite, so you end up meleeing way too much for my liking
    - Ofc, having assassing and nightblade gives you a lot of options for melee, but I want to range dps
    - I might re-visit this as a role for end-game raids

MarksMans(xx)/Range(xx)/Assassin(17)
    MarksMans(xx)/Range(xx)/NightBlade(12)
    I enjoyed playing both of these builds, because it had all the ranged versatility I was looking for. Lots of AoE from Marksman, rapid shot and DeadEye shot, a few cooldown abilities to deal with (Hit and Run etc), but overall I really enjoy the playstyle of both builds.

I eventually seem to be settling for MarksMans(xx)/Range(xx)/NightBlade(12).
    While the two poisons from Assassin are nice, the 5-10% crit and +10% damage proc doesn't quite feel as nice as an always on +15% damage to combo abilities and finishers. Also, the lethal poison proc seems to be a debuff on the target, rather than a buff on me. Hopefully, in group situations I can benefit from another assassin using it if we are targeting the same mob. Lastly, I prefer having the extra 5 points to spend on the ranged talents.

Hopefully, all of this will pan out at end game as well. This is a great game, I am enjoying it more the more I play. However, my play preference is locked strongly into ranged dps / rogue / hunter type builds. I don't really care to play a mage or cleric or warrior. For now, I am happy to hold out for the inevitable improvements from ongoing balancing.

But I am sure that trion realises patience only goes so far when you are paying to play.

Dont pay any attention to the "that xyz spec sucks in PvP or PvE", its all in your playstyle and how you spec to best suit that.

Telaran

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...ofuekskVz.V0xM
    This build is what I am using atm. Right now ranger is superior to marksman and I have managed to get pretty decent numbers. Try it out and see what you think.
    Kailyn - Rogue
    Riftstalker - Bladedancer - Infiltrator/Assassin
    Marksman - Assassin - Nightblade
    PvP: Marksman - Assassin - Infiltrator

Member of <Precision> on Imperium EU
    http://precision-guild.net/

+ Reply to Thread