+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why does Serpent Strike have a cooldown?

Rift Chaser

Default Why does Serpent Strike have a cooldown?

It can only be used after a critical hit but it also has a 10 second cooldown.

When it comes to Melee DPS builds, it seems like the consensus here is that NBs are better than Assasins. Would removing the cooldown on Serpent Strike elevate AS over NB for MDPS builds?

it would which is exactly why they wouldn't do it.

the way i play assassin i would be almost constantly hitting SS's endlessly. thusly i would beat mages and clerics, as such is not allowed, they will not do it.
    Asesina
    Briarcliff - PvP - US
    Fist of the Empire

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3 GHz stock GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 Ti (Msi twin Frozr) Mobo: Asus P8P67 Pro PSU: Coolermaster 700w Modular Ram: Corsair XMS DDR3 1600 4G x 2 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 32 MB Cache 7200 RPM 500g Case: Raidmax Hummer Mouse: Razer naga Keyboard: Logitech G11

For prevent killing people instantly in PVP I suppose.

For example:
    Open with Jagged or Assasinate --> 3 serpent strikes off CD --> target dead.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Kaladai View Post

For example:
    No, it would still only be usable once per crit like any other reactive; the only way it would be possible to do 3 in a row would be if it triggers on its own crits and the first two both crit, but I'm pretty sure Serpent Strike crits already do not trigger itself.
    Last edited by Sanguis Mortuum; 04-07-2011 at 07:53 AM.

It would be pretty OP.

I personally believe that Trion is attempting to make their mark on Rogues, and the only viable spec for rogues is going to be Nightblade / Sabo / Bard / RS for tanking.

All of the other souls are always going to be worthless, but everything will be sub par to Nightblades because Gersh likes fire.

Unfortunately for those of us who want to play a rogue like a real rogue, and use stealth for more than 30 seconds(31+Sin), and want to be able to stay on our target (26 RS), who still need a fear break + extra damage (~8+ Infiltrator) Are pretty much boned.

Basically, there are 9 rogue souls, but only one of them is worth anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadzio View Post
    mages are supposed to just stand still thus ground of strength

l2p scrub
    I found Gersh's Smurf account!
    (I wish this dude was being sarcastic)
    Having problems with PVP as a Rogue @ 50? Click Here

Rift Disciple

Serpent Strike is, in my opinion the best 51 point ability melee rogues get. The biggest factor is that it's off GCD. Timing your rotation right could next you some UGLY burst damage. Nothing says lollerskates like, Jagged Strikes > Puncture > IMMEDIATE Serprent Strike > Final Blow. When 3-4 crit it's pretty much already over. Follow up with a ball kick and finish the job.

Quote Originally Posted by halorin View Post
    Serpent Strike is, in my opinion the best 51 point ability melee rogues get. The biggest factor is that it's off GCD. Timing your rotation right could next you some UGLY burst damage. Nothing says lollerskates like, Jagged Strikes > Puncture > IMMEDIATE Serprent Strike > Final Blow. When 3-4 crit it's pretty much already over. Follow up with a ball kick and finish the job.
    By ball kick, I'm assuming that's the part where you get feared, the enemy heals to full, and then crits you for 2.5k with Bolt of Depravity, then 1.5k with Sanction Heretic(instant cast) which procs an Instant cast Bolt of Depravity which crits you again for 2.5k again, and you die from 3 attacks?

or wait, you could pop Break Free, and slip away and try it again, but they now have two damage shields up, and they hit you with a knock back, heal to full, then he slows you while waiting for fear DR to fall off, eventually fears you, THEN crits you with BoD, SH+Instant BoD.

Or has that not happened to you yet? Because it happens to me all the time.

Oh the best part about being a 51 point sin in PVP, is when the enemy starts casting a heal, and you have to stun them, to interrupt, but you can't even break through the damage shield because you used all of your energy on your opener / stun. Once the stun ends, you can't interrupt so he can free cast while you stand there, because your only other means of an interrupt is broken by bleeds, and he'll just recast it.

Assassins are so well designed, wouldn't you say?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadzio View Post
    mages are supposed to just stand still thus ground of strength

l2p scrub
    I found Gersh's Smurf account!
    (I wish this dude was being sarcastic)
    Having problems with PVP as a Rogue @ 50? Click Here

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by halorin View Post
    Jagged Strikes > Puncture > IMMEDIATE Serprent Strike > Final Blow.
    I'd usually use Serpent Strike after the Final Blow otherwise you're wasting the extra combo point it gives you (if you have 51 in Assassin then you should be getting three combo points from Jagged Strike and two from Puncture). Doing that extra damage a second earlier isn't really gonna make much difference unless they were below half health when you attacked and you need to burst and kill them as quick as possible before they heal.

People say that NB is a one trick soul with Scourge(it isnt), but this truely would be, you would have a soul that was weak except for one super power skill.
    Wherever You Went - Here You Are

Goest on Sunrest

I kill red people.

51 point sin in PVP must be terrible, low damage, no healing reduction, no movility, no survivability. The best you would do is 15 in RS for 2 planeshifts, but seems so useless in everything but pick flags in Codex.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum View Post
    I'd usually use Serpent Strike after the Final Blow otherwise you're wasting the extra combo point it gives you (if you have 51 in Assassin then you should be getting three combo points from Jagged Strike and two from Puncture). Doing that extra damage a second earlier isn't really gonna make much difference unless they were below half health when you attacked and you need to burst and kill them as quick as possible before they heal.
    Yeah, I've been thinking about taking SS off my Puncture macro for that reason alone. I tend to burn SS before Puncture comes through when opening since JS is very likely to crit when opening and thus I've found I wasted a CP. But it is incredibly nice to see SS and FB crit at the same time when finishing. You get that nice burst of 1100+ SS crit and a 1600+ FB crit on bosses.
    Sayaka the Heartless <Vanguard> | Assassin/Ranger/Bard | Guardian of Deepstrike (PvP)

Rift Chaser

I know you PVPers have valid points, but I was looking at this from a PVE perspective (expert dungeons and raids). I play rogues because I like the MDPS archetype in MMOs. It doesn't matter to me whether NB or AS is the "best" MDPS soul, I will play either.

It just looks like NB has more tools, more variety,more options etc than an AS. Assassins have more options when in stealth but that mainly applies to PVP. I'd like a good reason to go 51 AS for PVE raiding but so far it seems like doing that gimps you.

If I could magically squeeze in 16 points into Riftstalker I'd go full 51 sin again.
    "Never give up and never surrender!"

So, it's just you 57 cops against KUNG FU JOE? Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other shiz you ain't never heard of! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

51 point sin in PVP must be terrible, low damage, no healing reduction, no movility, no survivability. The best you would do is 15 in RS for 2 planeshifts, but seems so useless in everything but pick flags in Codex.
    I can't disagree with what you said. I've been 51/15 assassin/NB since forever... it's terrible compared to most specs but I really wish they'd make it not suck so much. Right now I'm a nb/ranger and my kill/deaths is exponentially better. I'd prefer to play melee but I'm not interested in NB or RS.

Really wish I could be a sneaky rogue and not just be free favor for just about every other spec.

We need more spike damage and/or a lot more survivability tricks.
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

Rift Disciple

For example:
    Possibly, but I'm so sick of playing games in which they try to balance both PvP and PvE. You just end up with games that feel "lackluster" at both. You just can't make everyone happy no matter what you do...so stop trying lol. Just make an exclusive PvE game or server, and an exclusive PvP server. One server, ALL you do in PvE, one server ALL you do is PvP. There can be different rule sets in each and the abilities can have different effects in each. That's literally the only way you're going to please everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast