+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Saboteur needs Ranged Weapon Mastery

Rift Disciple

Exclamation Saboteur needs Ranged Weapon Mastery

Saboteur is a ranged soul, so what's the reasoning for it not getting Ranged Weapon Master like Ranger and Marksman? This would help solve the low PvE single target dps problem we are seeing with Saboteur at the moment. If Saboteur had Ranged Weapon Mastery you could do a sab/sin/nb spec and still get the benefit or auto attacks and weapon enchant procs. It would boost Sabo single target dps up enough to be competitive (with other top rogue dps anyway, rogue dps being low in general is another topic altogether). Anyone else think this is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreck View Post
    Saboteur is a ranged soul, so what's the reasoning for it not getting Ranged Weapon Master like Ranger and Marksman? This would help solve the low PvE single target dps problem we are seeing with Saboteur at the moment. If Saboteur had Ranged Weapon Mastery you could do a sab/sin/nb spec and still get the benefit or auto attacks and weapon enchant procs. It would boost Sabo single target dps up enough to be competitive (with other top rogue dps anyway, rogue dps being low in general is another topic altogether). Anyone else think this is a good idea?
    Sabos should not be a ranged class, they should be a melee class. Attaching bomb onto someone is not something you should do at range; it should be something you should do looking into their eyes (or the back of their heads).

The adjustment to 20 meters is a good start, but it should only affect detonate. Placing charges (keyword "placing") should be done at melee range.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

Koe

Sabo is not a ranged class. It's a class that can play at BOTH ranges. Just like with bard; If you want to use your ranged weapon then put in MM or Ranger.

Rift Disciple

If Sabo isn't meant to be a ranged class then why do they have talents to increase range on charges and bombs? And why does their pve dps rotation consist entirely of ranged skills? Traps are just something to use in PvP or questing, not for dps in a group. Just like every other ranged class has some kind of "oh crap a melee is on me" emergency button.

Rift Disciple

The logic that Sabo is a soul that can play at both ranges fails since that is exactly the type of person who would be able to switch between melee and ranged weapons at will.

If you want to auto attack with a ranged weapon as a saboteur then macro/bind your toggle ranged attack ability. If sabs had ranged mastery they would draw agro on the first charge they threw...kinda counter productive. Also sabs do decent enough damage and you could just toggle ranged attack and still get the perks of your weapon enchants and such.

Rift Disciple

Toggling doesn't work because as soon as you cast any attack it detoggles your ranged auto attack and toggles on melee auto attack, unless you have Ranger or Marksman. Also, charges don't toggle auto attacks on, so the point about drawing aggro is moot.

As for Sabos doing decent enough damage, if played at range a Sabo is one of the lowest dps rogue specs.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreck View Post
    The logic that Sabo is a soul that can play at both ranges fails since that is exactly the type of person who would be able to switch between melee and ranged weapons at will.
    Exactly right. And the idea that giving the Saboteur ranged weapon mastery would create an issue with threat is something of a non-issue. Level 50 Sabo builds rarely take the Silent Setup talent and let the tank pull like every other class and soul has to (except for certain mechanics or specific pulls). I have rarely if ever seen a rogue solo'ing with a Sabo build, so the effect on rogues leveling or solo'ing with a Sabo build would be much less than the effect the mechanics are having on rogues currently.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Jerseytrash View Post
    Exactly right. And the idea that giving the Saboteur ranged weapon mastery would create an issue with threat is something of a non-issue. Level 50 Sabo builds rarely take the Silent Setup talent and let the tank pull like every other class and soul has to (except for certain mechanics or specific pulls). I have rarely if ever seen a rogue solo'ing with a Sabo build, so the effect on rogues leveling or solo'ing with a Sabo build would be much less than the effect the mechanics are having on rogues currently.
    You kidding? Every sabo needs to take silent setup. Pre-load 5 shrapnel -> incriminate -> Deto -> 3x Shrap -> Deto lets DPS go all out from beginning rather than waiting for tank to get initial aggro.

Rift Disciple

No one in their right mind takes Silent Setup. It lets you front load ONE round of charges. That's completely inconsequential on any fight that matters and it's a waste of 3 points. If your tank doesn't know how to get solid aggro in about 2 gcds then he's doing something wrong.
    Last edited by mrbreck; 04-08-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Telaran

It was asked for during Alpha, but developers did not agree that it was needed.

Rift Disciple

Well, a lot has changed since then, so maybe they should reevaluate their position.

The last time I checked, a bomb wasn't a ranged device, unless you mean by use of a detonator.

Rift Disciple

Last time I checked in game, my Rogue throws bombs and charges from up to 30 meters away. I guess there is some kind of adhesive on them that makes them stick.

I currently PVE with a Sab build solo and see little need for ranged mastery. At any point in the battle your going to get more benefit from enhancements to your bombs/traps/charges over the white damage of an auto attack coupled with ranged mastery. In addition since the gcd is so miniscule on charges i don't see how you would have time to take any additional ranged talents in your rotation.

I currently use sab as a ranged class and love the idea and the mechanic. The traps/bombs/and charges are all made imo to be used in a ranged role what good would the adhesive bomb be in a mele situation? if they wanted the sab to be a mele class they would have added a "wingclip" equivalent and instead of chemical bomb you would have a "whirlwind" type ability. The stuns from charges and the snares from both charges and traps coupled with shadow shift make this an ideal kiting class. The addition of a pet that both charges and taunts makes this a solid soul imo. <3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast