+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which RNG build is better for T1's/T2's?

Shadowlander

Default Which RNG build is better for T1's/T2's?

35 RNG/19 MM/ 12 NB
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...cf0cosoVz.V0xM

51 RNG/ 15 NB
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...Mh.EGsfuekskqz

A lot of people say that 51 RNG is the way to go, though I can't help but wonder if there are a lot of points going to waste in that tree. For instance, 5 points in doubleshot seems like a waste since the auto-ranged attack is very slow and does less damage (even when it procs) than a fully improved quickshot (which fires twice as fast).

I also don't see much of a need for trickshot, when you can spam rain of arrows on trash groups as a very adequate way to produce significant amounts of damage to multiple enemies at once. I know the 51 talent in the ranger tree is nice, but is 51 point raptor pet truly that much better than a 35 point pet?

--------------------On the other hand-----------------------

The 35 RNG/19 MM/ 12 NB offers the greatness of the raptor pet and rain of arrows, as well as significant increased attack damage, 10% pedestal, hit and run ability, a powerful finisher in deadshot, a DOT in barbedshot, and lastly a multi-attack spamable in fanout.

I haven't tried either of these in a dungeon yet, I wanted hear thoughts here first.
    Last edited by Sazio; 04-06-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Rift Disciple

none of the above!
    Every time a saboteur presses detonate, an angel gets its wings.

Rift Disciple

51 points will keep your pet alive through any AoE in T1. I don't know about T2, I can't imagine the pet, with 51 points would have too many problems, unless your tank doesn't move mobs far enough and your pet just sits in something.

You should have a build for massive AoE damage and a build for boss fights. Boss fights will probably be 51/15 ranger/nb. For AoE: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0b.VMRfzckskcz

Trick Shot x2
    Rain of Arrows
    Trick Shot x1 or 2 depending on CPs
    Concussive Blast
    Rain of Arrows

Is great damage, but lacks is single target umph.

There are two points to going 51 in ranger, 1) keeping the pet alive, 2) increasing the pets dps. You COULD take out 5 or 6 points from the ranger tree without losing dps from your attacks, but the 15% loss from the pet is what offsets whatever gain you would get from 5 points in another tree. Given you lose 15% damage buff if your pet dies, it's just better to keep the 5 points in ranger.
    Last edited by Nyah; 04-06-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Rift Disciple

ok now for a more serious reply.

trick shot rocks, improved trickshot rocks more.
    it really helps with clearing trash monsters quicker, and helps with any boss fight that has adds (since you can just get the tank to pull the add to the boss and dps them both down at the same time without really even losing much dps, in fact it actually boosts your dps if you have improved trickshot (since your combo points will build quicker, youll be able to mash finishers faster)

double shot is 'ok' but its nowhere near as good as something like the master archer proc (which you can get if you dont go nb, and which will increase your overall dps), that being said, doubleshot is free dps and the more points you are putting into ranger the more your pet is doing, think of every point in ranger at that point a few percent dps increase as long as your pet is alive (and the more points you put in the more likely your pet will stay alive)

if you are not using casted time shots you will always be auto attacking
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1895120/random/ranger.png
    as you see.. auto attack is my 3rd highest dps 'entry'
    youll also see where double shot and master archer are on that, while double shot isnt a ton, its basically just a passive damage increase if you are just casting instant casts, which if you are a ranger you mostly are (or should be)

i'm none of the specs you mentioned, but you shouldn't really count out trick shot and improved trick shot...

as far as nightblade goes with it.. a big fat 'meh'
    whatever floats your boat i guess.. if it works for you, great... doesn't do it for me tho.

ps: every fight in t1 and t2 that is a 'dps check' is pretty pet friendly so that should probably give you some thought.
    Every time a saboteur presses detonate, an angel gets its wings.

Rift Disciple

crater, what's your build?

If you have 3/3 Improved Quick Shot, you can probably give your dps a nice boost by using it once per cycle. The bleed on that makes quick shot a bit better than Swift Shot (if you can let it tick).

I use this hybrid, my pet stays alive, in T1's, only a few bosses do i have issues, i just hasten and im off to the races again, maybe toss in my own heal, but i dont see an issue with my pet dieing much.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....V0xMh.0VMcx0b 34(RNG) 15(NB) 17(SIN) also adds nice dbl sap so when i run with a meele rogue 4 saps, we can skip some trash get to the boss faster.

to me, its not the best dps or uber range but its fun, i dont die, i do pretty good dps , im not at the bottom, and my macros are simple and i have some tools for diff. situations.

its about what you like, and how you play imo.

just tossing in my .02.
    Drive it like u stole it

+ Reply to Thread