+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Melee PvP Build - 32NB/22Sin/12BD

Default My Melee PvP Build - 32NB/22Sin/12BD

Hey all, I read these forums a fair bit at work but rarely post. Have become pretty happy with my PvP build of late after playing around with point allocation/a few different setups. I don't like playing full Sin builds as they are very hit and run, and slip away is situational at best. I more prefer being able to assist my team, interupt a bit, CC and cause decent amounts of damage before I fall.

I am not a fan of infiltrator as a soul as I honesty find it very situational and useless. The build I use is 32NB/22Sin/12BD and it is great for group, OWPvP, WF PvP and 1v1's. The damage output is respectable at melee and pretty decent at range also.

With this build we have, amongst other things:
    2 Snares - 1 x Ranged, 1 x Melee - Both low CD.
    Low Bleed Damage, Low Magical DoT
    1 x Root
    2 x Out of combat CC - Incapacitate & Lost Hope.
    Huge selection of openers - 4 sec Stun, 20% dmg increase, 5 sec Silence etc.
    1 x In combat Stun
    1 x Ranged Interupt > Silence
    2 x In Combat CC/Silence - Dark Containment & Blinding Powder
    Good Burst - Ebon Fury > Dusk Strike Spam with Scourge of Darkness up.
    Perma-Stealth
    Etc.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...TooR.0Vkft0boz

I use a few basic macros for the simple skills which do not lower your control of fights by macroing. The Blade dancer attacks I use primarily for filler damage as their output is marginally higher than the NB or Sin counterpart.

Basic Spam Macro 1:
    #show Keen Strike
    /cast Reprisal
    /cast Puncture
    /cast Quick Strike
    /cast Keen Strike
    supressmacrofailures

This is my basic ability I spam between other CD's/in melee. It hits with Reprisal off the GCD whenever a dodge procs, reapplies Puncture bleed to the target when it is off CD, other then that it will skip Quick strike till Keen strike is used, then que up Quick strike for the next attack. Works very well for a single spam button.

Basic Attack 2:
    #show Dusk Strike
    /cast Reprisal
    /cast Dusk Strike
    /cast Malicious Strike

I use this whenever it is off CD as it is good damage. I smack the bind again for a melee snare. I have not found their use to overlap too much at all.

Interupt/CC in combat:
    #show Dark Containment
    /cast Dark Containment
    /cast Blinding Powder
    supressmacrofailures

I use this as in-combat CC or to interupt healers at paramount moments when Weapon Barrage is on CD. I have Dark qued up first as its CD is lower so 3 of these casts are usuable within a 30 second period which is quite nice for group situations, or to lock down a healer without stuns or silences.

Everything else is bound to individual keys as macro's cannot play situationally as well as a decent set of individual keybinds.

I am not going to go over how to play this build - a bit of thought is all that is needed and the play style changes in different situations/against different callings/builds.

Any thoughts or idea's on how to improve? I have gone over the point allocation for this spec quite a few times and can't see any better way of spending the points to achieve a melee skirmisher who can take out a few foes, do some sweet lockdown and get some range/kiting in when needed.

Cheers,

Grish.
    Guildless Scrub.

Rank 8 Rogue - MM/Sin/Inf - Bard/RS/Inf -NB/RS/Inf - Sin/Rng/Inf

Do you notice yourself being in hide often enough for Imp Stealth?
    Why not full ambidextrous and blade finesse in BD?
    And what seems to be your magic number of points to keep Heat Retention up?
    "Never give up and never surrender!"

So, it's just you 57 cops against KUNG FU JOE? Master of KUNG-FU, KARATE, JIU-JITSU, and all kinds of other shiz you ain't never heard of! HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!

Quote Originally Posted by kashaun View Post
    Do you notice yourself being in hide often enough for Imp Stealth?
    Why not full ambidextrous and blade finesse in BD?
    And what seems to be your magic number of points to keep Heat Retention up?
    1 - Definitely often enough, stalking someone in World PvP - Sitting at a node in Codex where I can chain Sap people trying to cap, positioning the right time to attack without worrying about the timer.

2 - The damage increase on auto attacks is negligible for 5 points IMO. I'd rather reprisal and the auto attack on dodge when in PvP. White damage is horrible. As quick strike is in my main spam attack the 10% increase there is also better than the auto attack damage increase. No full ambidex in BD as not enough points to do so - The sprint is far more usefull then 3% dex, and not enough points to go higher in BD without loosing vastly better skills in the other trees. The 12 points is for the ranged interrupt primarily and some decent filler damage skills from low BD.

3 - I have found 4/5 Heat retention to be more than sufficient. 3 is a little low, and 5 doesn't seem to have a significant increase over 4.
    Guildless Scrub.

Plane Touched

I've tried a similar build, it works well on paper and does work well in reality, but the build lacks the survivability offered by NB 38 and 44.

You can take out 3 guys at once by going deep into NB, with this build, no.

Quote Originally Posted by yyiri View Post
    I've tried a similar build, it works well on paper and does work well in reality, but the build lacks the survivability offered by NB 38 and 44.

You can take out 3 guys at once by going deep into NB, with this build, no.
    Sure if you're pugging and are against complete morons who will stand there and let a Rogue run around un CC'd.

If you run premades than this is a VERY solid PvP build. I use something similar for when melee Rogues are viable (Codex flag ganking, Whitefall Flag Running, OW Ganking). You can pretty much lock down Clerics and Pyros for your premade with this and while you won't survive against another premade due to no CC breaker, you will certainly have disrupted the other side's casters for long enough for your Warriors and Pyros to dismantle their frontline.

Remember, if only takes a few seconds of no heals to for a group to focus down even a tank in this game.

Of course, every idiot on these boards expects PvP games to be balanced around 1v1 instead of Group vs Group . Even fewer know about something called Focus Fire or Main Assist >.<
    Last edited by Lilisette; 04-07-2011 at 01:26 AM.
    Lilisette High Elven Rogue - Argent EU | Laretha: High Elven Cleric - Argent EU
    Rahal: High Elven Warrior - Argent EU | Lilaeath: High Elven Mage - Argent EU
    If any fellow Roleplayers want to meet up to RP, let me know.

As an addition, Dusk to Dawn isn't really worth it in a melee build IMO. There are very few chances to actually use it in PvP outside of Ranger/NB builds. It's not a bad ability but it's not really that essential. I'm also not sure about Flame Thrust since I rarely seem to use it in PvP.

Other things to thing about using:

Fire and Death Attunement - 3/3 gives you a 15% damage reduction to Fire and Death attacks meaning that you have some protection from Inquisitors, Pyros, Warlocks and Necromancers who would otherwise tear you a new one. +3% extra damage isn't huge but is still nice.

Backstab - It hits pretty nicely and is easy to work into the above Rotations.

Cloak and Dagger - Having a Damage Reduction coming out of Stealth after your stun is always nice since you're going to be taking damage from your target's team mates. The damage bonus is nice too.

Jagged Strike - You need 4 more points in Assassin for it and will have to drop Weapon Barrage but the burst from Expose Weakness + Jagged Strike + Scourge of Darkness is ridiculous. Having a bleed that crits for 250+ along with a proc that procs off all physical attacks for for a crit of 200+ alongside your normal damage from bring down even plate wearers pretty quickly.

Enhanced Weapon Enchantments/Poison Potency/Poison Mastery - Both do the same thing. If you have points to spare they are nice as Twilight Shelter doesn't reduce the damage of procs and weapon enchantments count as Poisons.

Blade Finesse - It increases the damage of your Serrated Blade bleeds noticeably

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Lilisette View Post
    Sure if you're pugging and are against complete morons who will stand there and let a Rogue run around un CC'd.

If you run premades than this is a VERY solid PvP build. I use something similar for when melee Rogues are viable (Codex flag ganking, Whitefall Flag Running, OW Ganking). You can pretty much lock down Clerics and Pyros for your premade with this and while you won't survive against another premade due to no CC breaker, you will certainly have disrupted the other side's casters for long enough for your Warriors and Pyros to dismantle their frontline.

Remember, if only takes a few seconds of no heals to for a group to focus down even a tank in this game.

Of course, every idiot on these boards expects PvP games to be balanced around 1v1 instead of Group vs Group . Even fewer know about something called Focus Fire or Main Assist >.<
    No, you will not lock down pyros with this build, sorry. Nothing in the build counters GoS except for Weapon Barrage which is on a 10s CD and also, they are immune to the silence effect.

Sure, for premade PvP, this build works decently. However imo, 12 pts in BD is a waste of points just for Weapon Barrage.

They also have to remain perfectly still to benefit from that and they have to be pretty much dead centre like with MM pedestals. If you go for that Pyro he's pretty much going to be forced to chose between CC immunity and death. The bad Pyros stay there and die to focus fire (often turning on you instead of getting your healer down), the good ones kite you and eat some ranged damage and but as a result, have to stop damaging your team for a few, vital seconds. You can then either chase or **** out of there (this is what Sprint + Twilight Shelter is for).

You are also assuming that you are the only one who is attacking the Pyro. A good group will have the RDPS assist on the Rogue to help dismantle the backline. A bad group will leave the Rogue alone to die and while they will have caused disruption, it would not have been as deadly as losing a Pyro would be.

I must agree not as much survivability as higher end NB - But I usually run this backed by dispell/heals/support in a premade. Deeper NB builds are better for unorganised Solo PuG's. In OW 1v1's + Premade though this build is damn nice for all classes.

@Lil.

I keep Dusk Till dawn in this build as it is great for runners, a pretty nice amount of damage and a good root for your team to burn someone. It is also useful against warriors or other melee rogues as between Twilight Force and Dusk Till Dawn you can take out a melee class at range if your health is too low/no CD's to take them on in melee. Unfortunately people run a lot in OW and WF's so I like to have this in my build as I pretty much have it used every time it is on CD.

I also use flame thrust a lot in PvP - Once again with Runners, or after Twilight force if I don't want to SoD. In WF's I often don't have time to restealth between targets so when changing/running to another 3 x fiery spike, twilight then flame thrust I can deal a decent amount of damage/apply DoTS before I am in melee range. Means there is no dead time on the DPS, even if the ranged DPS isn't that much it is always assisting the team.

Fire & Death - Never seen a use, I don't have any trouble with inquis, Necro's or locks with this build. The interupts and damage output means I can drop them before the Dots have much effect. I see the point of this against Pyro's but its a waste for really the 1 build that gives a bit of trouble.

Backstab is definitely nice - But positionally based which is often hard with the bunny hopping and spinning in PvP. That is why I chose not to get it. Very situational to use once again.

Cloak & Dagger might be a nice consideration - I will have a play with this.

Jagged Strike - Once again, nice skill but to get that burst combo off you need stealth which doesn't happen mid skirmish a lot without being deep enough in sin for Slip Away. I find I don't really need bleeds to take down warriors either - The low bleed and magic DoT + the magical damage this build puts out is enough to take down warriors reasonably well.

Didn't consider Blade Finesse effecting Serrated - Will look into this tonight.

I prefer this build for OW/Premade to deeper NB due to the ability to lockdown healers/casters between the silence opener/weapon barrage/Dark Contain/Blinding Powder. Even just setting focus on a healer while DPSing another team mate means I can Barrage Silence from Range > Dark Contain > Barrage Silence from Range > Blind > Barrage before Diminishing kicks in. The other 20 seconds of those 25 seconds of GCD I am dpsing someone else on the team. The damage & utility is great for your team.

If I solo que WF's I usually play bard/RS as it makes more difference than NB to the masses of idiots in the WF. I will definitely make a few more adjustments to the build though given the feedback.
    Guildless Scrub.

+ Reply to Thread