+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 51 RNG vs. 35 RNG

Default 51 RNG vs. 35 RNG

So I went through all the t1 dungeons and a few t2s as a 51 ranger, and had no problems keeping my raptor alive the majority of the time. However, I've been playing around with another build that seems to do more dps (against boss dummy anyways). The question I have is, what's the pets survivability as a 35 ranger as opposed to a 51 ranger?

Thanks.
    Look at your post, now back to mine, now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped being nonconstructive and dumb and started posting about something that makes sense, it could look like it's mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're on a page with the post your post could look like. Anything is possible when you post like me, and not like an idiot. I'm on a forum.

Rift Disciple

I have been wondering this myself but i've been doing well on DPS charts (Recently was 2nd of 20+) so I haven't wanted to just change and try it.

Guessing, I'd say the survivability should still be good, since with good orders and tank your Raptor should never get any massive single target blows and with king of the jungle you would get 63% AOE damage reduction which is still quite a big reduction. I guess certain AOE's still might get it if not healed =/.

Shadowlander

You mind posting your builds? I recently made the move from MM to RNG. I have been hearing that the right RNG class can put out great DPS and in T1, despite having great gear, I felt like my DPS was on the low end playing MM.

The build I did for RNG is as follows:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...f0cosoVz.0VMch

I would love some advice on how I can change things around to make it better. I recognize that 3 points are wasted in the Assassin tree with serrated blades, but I don't know where else to put them to get to next tier up in the soul. Maybe I should be using a different soul besides Assassin?

I didn't apply any points to doubleshot in the RNG tree because auto-attack is so slow. It doesn't seem like the benefits would be worth it. My combat rotation as a RNG seems really basic:

Open with Shadowfire
    Quickshot
    Quickshot
    Quickshot
    5x Combo Headshot

(Rinse Wash Repeat)

Of course using rain of arrows when AOE is necessary.

I haven't parsed out that data, but have run two instances with this build thus far (with a core group of people that I always run instances with) and I have noticed a serious drop off in my DPS, even with my raptor going full tilt. Is it the build? my rotation? (though specing ranger gives you very little variety in comparison to marksmen, not sure what other rotations I could be doing that would be more effective), is it both?

Your constructive thoughts and ideas please
    Last edited by Sazio; 04-06-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PVStar View Post
    So I went through all the t1 dungeons and a few t2s as a 51 ranger, and had no problems keeping my raptor alive the majority of the time. However, I've been playing around with another build that seems to do more dps (against boss dummy anyways). The question I have is, what's the pets survivability as a 35 ranger as opposed to a 51 ranger?

Thanks.
    Difference is the 35 rangers pet will have a lot less AoE dmg mitigation.

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

Shadowlander

The mitigation doen't matter as much as most people think. I have a 35 ranger and the pet dies very rarely and i can summon it instantly during those rare moments anyway. You need to watch your pet more closely during some of the boss fights to get it out of AoE range when needed, but during most of those even the 51 pet would die anyway so its no dps loss.

Rift Disciple

Interestingly I found that the best part of 51 point king of the jungle is the damage increase. Especially for movement fights. While we are moving, or los'ing, the raptor just sits there and goes to town on the boss that whole time. So with the extra points it does the extra damage and survives the aoes. You can also pop the 51 point skill on it to boost it up.

The pet is also nice for when you are energy starved and it just keeps on truckin'. I have also seen some nice dps from the necro pet in dungeons. In the cases where you move a lot the ranger can actually get a lot more dps than a mage just because if they are always moving it keeps interrupting their casts. So that's something to consider.

As for keeping it alive, there are some fights it may die, or that you can't have it at all, but those are fairly few, and I don't think any are hardcore ranged dps races. So it definitely helps pull it's weight over all.

There probably some specs that tear up certain fights and are lacking on others, so dummy dps parses aren't the only things to consider. Think about how the play style of your spec is. What conditions you can effectively do damage and when you can't.

Edit: a lot of these ideas apply to dot dps also.
    Last edited by Shajin; 04-06-2011 at 06:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread