+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm looking for a ranged dps build for PvP. Why won't this work?

Default I'm looking for a ranged dps build for PvP. Why won't this work?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...qdAudR.zVM.Vzo

On paper it looks good. Speedy shots, cripple to keep range, two poisons on your bow, enhanced 'on the double' to get out of sticky situations and keep more range not to mention a passive 10% crit and all of the burst damage from MM tree.

Has anyone tried this? It looks like a pure sniper spec, you keep your absolute range in fights and try and pick off people who are low on health. If you start to see their health go up (they are being healed) you take off and move on to the next target. You also have Fan Out and Crossfire for those stupid AOE fights on Port of Scion bridge.

Did I mention Stealth? Always good to get you where you want to be.

I don't know, I'm kind of at my wits end with my Rogue for PvP. I have been successful with NB/Assassin build and full Assassin in Open World pvp but when you hit the warfronts it's a different story. Unless you are hitting your crits it seems like coming up against anyone with half decent gear is going to negate your damage and your are going to end up getting jumped by 3 more people before you can finish off your target.

I just recently got one of the best bows you can get before T3 and am anxious for a decent ranged build that can put out some decent damage and get away in a hurry.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Mord View Post

On paper it looks good. Speedy shots, cripple to keep range, two poisons on your bow, enhanced 'on the double' to get out of sticky situations and keep more range not to mention a passive 10% crit and all of the burst damage from MM tree.

Has anyone tried this? It looks like a pure sniper spec, you keep your absolute range in fights and try and pick off people who are low on health. If you start to see their health go up (they are being healed) you take off and move on to the next target. You also have Fan Out and Crossfire for those stupid AOE fights on Port of Scion bridge.

I don't know, I'm kind of at my wits end with my Rogue for PvP. I have been successful with NB/Assassin build and full Assassin in Open World pvp but when you hit the warfronts it's a different story. Unless you are hitting your crits it seems like coming up against anyone with half decent gear is going to negate your damage and your are going to end up getting jumped by 3 more people before you can finish off your target.

I just recently got one of the best bows you can get before T3 and am anxious for a decent ranged build that can put out some decent damage and get away in a hurry.
    Ranged rogue damage classes (and melee actually) are currently under-powered in the vast majority of pvp situations. This means that you will have to both work much harder, and be much luckier than many other callings combinations to perform like you are hoping to do.

I'm willing to try.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mord View Post

I've been playing a similar spec since sabs got over-nerfed. I leveled primarily through PvP as a marksman, so returning to my marksman roots has proven to be a lot of fun!

I would suggest changing your build slightly to something like this:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qdAudR.0VM.VMo

Keeping in mind, of course, that your damage is going to be very 'bursty', with luls between the peaks. You're going to be hitting like a wet noodle most of the time, but with good cooldown management and a macro to utilize them, you'll get a lot of kills and quite a few KBs.... and in certain situations like Battle for port Scion, your overall damage will be near the top of the leaderboard because when you're not bursting you're AoE'ing with Fan out, Crossfire, and Lightning Fury.

The only *real* issue with this spec is survivability. Even in full Prestige 3 gear (sergeant), you're going to have around 4500 hitpoints.

hint: your burst macro is going to burn 3 cooldowns : Fire and Forget, Controlled Fire, and Hit and Run all at once. During these 15 seconds you can pretty much burst anyone down with the Empowered Shot, Empowered Shot, Deadeye shot rotation, using Bulls Eye on the dead-eye shot when it's off cooldown.

Use your cooldowns early and often, including quick reload, and you can take out quite a few people early on in a WF.

Since hitting rank 3 i've been experimenting with a different build and so far it's been successful. I miss stealth, but having magic damage immunity against mages has been a real lifesaver when i burn it and knock them into the ground, not to mention the +25% casting debuff poison, the + 1000 hitpoints from riftstalker, the teleport, and the damage shield. Survivability has gone way up, and damage about the same even though its 10% less crit. (the +15% dexterity buff from riftstalker and the +damage and +crit bonus from infiltrator against players almost make up for it).

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...udR.V0x0z.xb0R

Anyway, thought I would chime in and say i've really been enjoying playing MM again the last week or so. If you can get a good epic bow, this is definately a viable spec in PvP due to high burst.

+ Reply to Thread