+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bard Vs Assassin

Soulwalker

Default Bard Vs Assassin

What would you rather have in your raid group.
    I was just told at lvl 20 bard that I needed to switch to assassin build because there was no need for a bard in a group "Bard is for support only" "are you leveling as a bard?" "wow bard is bad dps you need to switch"

Ok that being said, I have had no problems getting to 20. its been real easy to level getting three four adds at a time I am able to kill em all and keep fighting. Should I try the assassin build?

Try levelling as BD/sin, you get a much smoother levelling process. Take bard as a secondary soul setup. Its great for PvP and works well with public groups and soloing elites!

Bard does sucky dps and will take you a while to kill, but paired with either sab or RS is a very good solo build. I'd recommend leveling with a ranger as you have tank pet that can retain aggro across 3-5 mobs with an included pet heal.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

Soulwalker

Bard is a very safe way to play in my opinion. Keep it for solo questing and grouping. Have another build ready when people want DPS.

I had pretty good level experiance as bard/ranger/whatever till 30. Then i swapped out ranger with rift for a while till I built up enough points to go back to ranger with bigger boar.

Soulwalker

I level'd as bard and found that if I just ignored my dungeon groups and ran bard in instances we would never wipe. Sure bard puts out less damage but makes up for it in the lack of death or wipes. Cuz pugs can be rough =P
    Clearthought <Voodoo> Level 50 Bard Playin his Lute o' so hard!

Plane Touched

Buy yourself a second or even third role. They are really really cheap. Switch from bard to dps on demand. problem solved.

Posted this previously:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...18#post1891718

Had to update some links which I did later in the thread.

Summary: I leveled as a Bard to 45. I tried BD/RS/Assassin and would highly recommend it for leveling. Keep Bard as another spec. for dungeons as it is very beneficial.
    "This server is going to be Gnarly, man."
    "We have enough cloth and wood to pitch a tent."

Currently lvling a Bard from 1-50, and tbh killing isnt that slow, great side benefit is the tanking/healage your able to do as you go. Combine that with riff, virturoso, mez bombs and coda of fury and your fine.
    Placing 51 into Bard asap, nothing beats joining an invasion/instance/boss fight and the buffs start flying - they will love you if you can do your job properly.
    "Nothing is Forgiven, Nothing is Forgotten"

Anar, 50 High Elf Assassin
    Harmony, 50 High Elf Bard
    Cloudmourne, 50 High Elf Paladin

Maidenfalls PvP Shard

Quote Originally Posted by Backnor View Post
    What would you rather have in your raid group.
    It not a 'rather have' issue.

When you get to 50 it will be:
    It is a 'you better be able to' play a bard and also a ranged dps and also a melee dps role.

And you should be able to switch from one role to another (and play them well) several times in 1 dungeon if needed.

Bard offspec is no longer optimal for leveling since they reworked the soul.

13 points in Riftstalker for Rift Scaveneger is much more advantageous.

Soulwalker

I agree with Rykin.

Give this a try and see if you like it:
    http://seelenplaner.telara.net/#rogu...011;31,0055002

The idea is to Stealth, Dark Malady, Plane shift (whichever is up), Puncture, followed by filler and finisher. It's ideal for many single target kills with little downtime. The damage bonus from Dark Malady combined with the Crit bonus from Ruthless Stalker make for huge burst. I didn't put points into positional abilities because it's a solo build.

The good: Tons of healing and an "oh crap" button.
    The bad: poor aoe, can get overwhelmed by lots of mobs of not careful, not ideal for dungeons. This spec will NOT work to aoe grind.

The perma stealth with Silent Footsteps is wonderful for when you are on a quest to go deep into some cave for a shiny bauble or whatever and don't want to kill every friggen mob on the way.

If you get in trouble with a lot of mobs you on you, be sure to focus them down one at a time, using Rift Scavenger to your advantage.

It's been working really well for me and I hope it works well for you as well. Plus perma stealth at normal running speed is SO FUN.
    Last edited by Thetippytop; 04-07-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetippytop View Post
    The perma stealth with Silent Footsteps is wonderful for when you are on a quest to go deep into some cave for a shiny bauble or whatever and don't want to kill every friggen mob on the way.
    Problem with this is that there are insufficient quests to get you to 50 if you skip a lot of mobs. I found this myself that around level 38 I was finishing up zones that guildies did not even touch and were level 40. The main reason was because I was just stealthing past everything. Sadly, >50% of the experience you receive from doing a quest comes from having to kill all the extra mobs on the way.
    "This server is going to be Gnarly, man."
    "We have enough cloth and wood to pitch a tent."

Soulwalker

That is 100% true, and something to consider for sure when using a stealth build. You have to be aware of this and make sure you don't JUST stealth past everything. Plus a lot of quests involve killing X many one eyed freaks and Y death doggies. Still, use discretion.
    Last edited by Thetippytop; 04-07-2011 at 07:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread