+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is a Rogue for me?

Shadowlander

Default Is a Rogue for me?

I want to play a support class. I get joy out of helping my group. I don't need to be able to have the highest output as long as I know my group does. I started to play a Bard but it seemed really odd to me especially with the warthog pet from the suggested ranger. ( I don't like pet classes) so I switched to Archon and a cleric. I like them both in different ways but I want to get back to the bard but it seems as if there are bards all over the place and I'm not sure I will be needed in groups. Also, I like the nightblade for its attacks. does it pair well with the bard? Should I consider this for support or stick with cleric and archon. Btw, I love versatility and utility.

Shadrir

Rift Disciple

In the group I run, I have a build for "heavy" AoE damage and a Bard.

We just got a shard first T2 kill today finishing RD, to give you an idea of where we are at and our gear.

For most of the dungeons, I run my Ranger AoE build. For most boss fights, I switch to bard to help heal and buff/debuff.

If you want a full time support role, play a cleric.

Plane Touched

night blade would be good up to at least 10 points, maybe 12 if you want. We call it the NB10. 15% increased damage on CP builders as well as finishers. This makes cadence hit harder which in turn makes it heal harder too. I think people suggest ranger for the pet if you are soloing, but you can pretty much do what you want if you are making a group support role. Your third soul will most likely have 0 points in it anyway unless you find stuff in the tree you want.

From what I've seen of bards in a fight both in PVE and PVP, their best hat trick is the ability to both de/buff and CC. They have some minimal healing, but it will never eclipse chloromancer nor the cleric healing souls in that regard. It's a fun class from what I've seen of its use in groups and I never turn them down when I'm putting together a dungeon group even if they're hybrids into the soul.

You're looking for a Chloro, imo.

Not that I turn down a Bard, but given the choice, I'd probably go with a Chloro and have the Rogue go pure DPS.

So don't take the pet.

Fill yourself with bard and take NB for dmg, thus heals, buff. As said above, the 3rd soul will likely have 0 points in it anyway. Sab gives you some rudimentary CC, while RS gives you a decent escape.

Less points in bard and some RS for PvP gives you armour, health and extra planeshifting if you go deep enough. inb4 that's what she said.

As I abrd I bring 5% less dmg, 5% more heals, 5% more stats and either 42 (I think) end, str + dex or wis. 53 AP and SP, 5% crit, 13% less cost of ALL abilities. Giving the boss 5% more dmg taken from physical abilities and 7% more dmg taken from non-physical. Oh, and the heals.
    Last edited by BuzzKillington; 04-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Soulwalker

Bard is very fun to play. You have some great abilities and buffs that increase you and your group's survivability and damage.

BuzzKillington hit the high points of the the additional souls. Personally, I am not a fan of Saboteur and think Riftstalker is a better choice for the third soul.

The best bet based on your comments would be to play a bard dropping the ranger as your third soul. Bounce back and forth between your Archon and Bard. If you like them both, play them both. If you get to a point that one works better for your play style, you can stick with it. When you get to the point that you need a break/change, you have the other character ready to go. And remember the most important thing: Have Fun.

Shadowlander

Wow. thanks for the replies. I'm going to try bard. I didn't like Chloro because it seemed too easy!?! That is from someone who just yesterday realized that the spells had ranked. I leveled up three characters to 18 with all rank one spells, doh!!! I enjoy the cleric a lot but I don't like to main heal because I have time constraints. The bard lets me do cc, heal, dmg from range and a little melllee.

If you're looking to play support then the rogue calling is not for you. While there's some use for a bard it is situational, the rest of the time you are expected to produce at least some passable DPS.

Go with mage or cleric calling, then you can play either as chloro or outright healer for whatever your group needs on a fight.

+ Reply to Thread