+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: L2bp

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default L2bp

    Learn
    To
    Be
    Polite

    I have seen so many people respond with 'l2p' or personal attacks that I am at a loss when I come looking for information. While I must agree that there is an amazing amount of pointless complaining, that is no reason to show disrespect.

    Come on, rogues. Is it really necessary to be rude? I am losing interest in this game because of the community. Please, can we not show some simple courtesy?

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    128

    Default

    I totally agree.

  3. #3
    Telaran Fakemessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    87

    Default

    MMO's require some thick skin. I am an ******* and a half...but if people need help with a rogue issue I'm right there to help. what I hate more than all the rudeness of people is the constant whining and *****ing of all the rogues QQing about how ****ty rogues are. Yes i know there are somethings that need addressed, but get the **** over it already...how long has it been since the patch came out....the first day, cool, we got it, you sucked on meters, hooray...but its been a while now and people are still *****ing about the same **** that was being complained about the first day of patch. so either reroll a ****ing mage or warrior and stay off the rogue forums *****ing about how you lost by 200 dps to a warrior...or **** and just play
    Tanks...You're Welcome!!!


    Fakemessiah 50 Guardian Male High Elf Rogue Tank/Guitar of Destruction - Dec 17, 2010 - Present
    Fakemessiah 85 Horde Female Goblin Warrior Single Tgt Prot/AOE Prot - Nov 24, 2004 - Apr 8, 2011
    Fakemessiah Lord Of The Rings Online - Retired
    Ehgriez Everquest Warrior Tank - Retired
    Ehgriez RuneScape - Retired
    Fakemessiah Ultima Online - Retired

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Do not misunderstand. I, too have an issue with the perpetual complaining, but I do not see why 'MMO's require some thick skin.'

    I have a solution to all of the whining: Do not respond. I know this flies in the face of all that is holy on the Internet, but it will work. If we do not respond to threads that are unworthy of our attention, they will fall from the top of the list. Then the top posts will be ones that we have a reason to read. Rudeness is not only unnecessary, it is counter-productive.

    Remaining polite and refraining from responding (most likely in a negative manner) to the deluge of complaints can only work to our advantage.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched -DK-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    199

    Default

    Ya I just brush off what the 10 yr olds that haven't been taught respect at all in their lives off. I try coming on here and helping as much as I can. I attempt builds that some have been successful others not so much. However, as what has recently happened with the nerf, I try to bring light out of the crappiness that came with the nerf. I post new builds in hopes that it keeps the community wanting to play Rogues. As others have said though you have to kinda grow thick skin. People will take shots at you, I just look at it like this. Would they do it in real life in front of my face.? Most likely not, most people talking trash are kids in middle school trying to be cool. When in real life they wouldn't even bother looking you in the much less talk trash to you. So, eh.. what ever

    I do agree that we as a community could use some positivity it goes a long ways. I do like where your going with this post +1.

  6. #6
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    People tend to ask dumb questions that they could have answered themselves if they took initiative to do so. You be lazy, I'll be a ****.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

  7. #7
    Sword of Telara Fasc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    People tend to ask dumb questions that they could have answered themselves if they took initiative to do so. You be lazy, I'll be a ****.
    This. Furthermore, if you present a question or a factoid or a post or whatever (be it whining or not) in such a way that you really stick yourself out there with a truck load of arrogance, well expect to be slapped down with equal force if you're wrong in any way.

    The "MMO's require thick skin" is really not 100% accurate, it should read "The Internet requies thick skin."

    Across the Internet you and I and other are communicating via text and type. We can't stare at each other a few feet away noting body language or facial expressions. We have no visuals to go by with which to accurately (or inaccurately depending on bias) judge and place context. Finally, not a single one of us can literally reach across the table to punch the other in the mouth for being idiotic. As such people can come off as very blunt and snarky when giving straightforward answers, sugar coating tends to be at a minimum anyway, and the freedom to act however you wish is about as open as it gets.

    I actually love the Internet for the reasons above in certain venues, because some lil 15 year old **** that thinks his worldly knowledge of higher order mathematics will feel the need to comment on something myself or another has created like a simulation or spreadsheet. The lil git could be 100% inaccurate in his attack, but it makes more than a few others look into it a bit more, and lo and behold someone that DOES know something pipes up. The troll gleefully posts about how dumb the creators are while the creators (assuming they enjoy the severe level of peer review) happily make the corrections and post v2, and v3, and v4 and so on.

    That's why I tend to "feed the trolls" more than I likely should. Not all trolls are stupid trolls and sometimes a kernel or two of truth can be dug out of all the hyperbole and frothing at the mouth. Some of my better updates have been the result of a jerk being a jerk and thinking he 1-up'd me only to find a week later I actually went and resolved the issue and confirmed my original hypothesis. Nothing like a bunch of nerds wanting to be right to get a pet project scrap of spreadsheet transformed into a useful and accurate tool!
    Last edited by Fasc; 04-06-2011 at 08:44 AM.
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

  8. #8
    Shadowlander Athrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    People tend to ask dumb questions that they could have answered themselves if they took initiative to do so. You be lazy, I'll be a ****.
    People are forced to ask dumb questions because the rogue boards are full of trash QQ/whiner posts. These are easily the least constructive boards of any of the classes.If you need proof feel free to head on over to the cleric boards where we actually help people and post constructive ideas and thoughts. Yes I understand rogues are having issues now but that is no reason to jump on and flame everyone who is posting a simple question because they can't or don't have time to sift through all the rogue garbage posts.

    However, not all of you are QQ/whiners and I would like to thank the members of the rogue community that are respectful/help others some of us very much appreciate it.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    188

    Default

    If you aren't certain about something, do your research.

    If you still can't find it, ask the question.

    If you don't know (if you're not at least 80% positive), don't act as though you do.




    By following the above, before making a post, pretty sure 90% of the "hey dip****" responses would be unnecessary.

  10. #10
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    People tend to ask dumb questions that they could have answered themselves if they took initiative to do so. You be lazy, I'll be a ****.
    ^

    This.

    I have no respect for those that indicate they don't deserve it.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I've had that a few times, from warriors, pre-nerf. Seems they've put a lid on their comments as of lately though, plus it's kind of hard for them to run their mouth when they're dead.

  12. #12
    Sword of Telara Fasc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athrin View Post
    People are forced to ask dumb questions because the rogue boards are full of trash QQ/whiner posts. These are easily the least constructive boards of any of the classes.If you need proof feel free to head on over to the cleric boards where we actually help people and post constructive ideas and thoughts. Yes I understand rogues are having issues now but that is no reason to jump on and flame everyone who is posting a simple question because they can't or don't have time to sift through all the rogue garbage posts.

    However, not all of you are QQ/whiners and I would like to thank the members of the rogue community that are respectful/help others some of us very much appreciate it.
    No one is EVER forced to ask anything, much less a dumb question.

    Presenting yourself properly is just as much as important as actually asking a relevant question. Consider the following:

    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotTroll
    wtf is this trion i cant git groups ever an everone says rouges sux bad lol

    mai parser says i cant do 5000 deeps like all the wartards

    **** this game and **** u trion

    ps anyone that says rouges r fine is stupid too
    vs

    Quote Originally Posted by NewPlayer
    The last group I was in kicked me out for low DPS and I wasn't really sure why. I downloaded the ACT so I could parse some combat dummy fights and I'm just not able to do much more than 450 DPS or so it says. I'm kinda at my wits end because I really like some of the things about my spec but it doesn't seem to work.

    Any suggestions?
    Now notice how neither of them post actual specs or anything of the sort, so both of these would encourage responses that aren't just straight up answers, but more of a conversation. However, the former will almost DEFINITELY attract several posters (myself included) who will take the opportunity to take pot shots at the OP's life, mother, age, job status, frequency, color, body mass index, etc etc and give next to no constructive feedback.

    The latter on the other hand would likely get as a first or second response of "Hey what build are you using, mind linking it? Oh and what rotation are you trying to use, plus the gear you're in." And then the poster would respond, we'd see things taken and ask why or laugh a bit as he took things like Foul Play or Dark Containment for a PvE heavy build over what are more obvious DPS choices to the rest of us, and on we go.

    I'm not saying the latter wouldn't get some idiot coming in and saying "LOL UR STUPID FOR BEING MELEE LOLOLOLOL IDIOT" but in those cases they tend to get ignored and the conversation continues on fine.

    The reason our boards seem to be slightly more trollish than others (and ours really aren't that bad) is because all those threads where good convos happen, take about 1-2 pages at max and then that's that. The guy gets his answer, all is well, everyone is happy. What keeps showing up on the front page? All the QQ posts and whiner posts. Because Rogues are supposedly in the absolute worst position right now (chuckle), our signal to noise ratio is a bit out of whack so new crappy posts are made more frequently.

    Hence the thick skin requirement, you'll always find idiots and *******s in every forum you ever visit.
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

  13. #13
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    62

    Default

    This I agree with!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevaine View Post
    Learn
    To
    Be
    Polite

    I have seen so many people respond with 'l2p' or personal attacks that I am at a loss when I come looking for information. While I must agree that there is an amazing amount of pointless complaining, that is no reason to show disrespect.

    Come on, rogues. Is it really necessary to be rude? I am losing interest in this game because of the community. Please, can we not show some simple courtesy?
    Meteorx - 60 Rogue | Meteorxx - 60 Cleric | Guild: Decimation | Server: Deepwood |

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shayded View Post
    If you aren't certain about something, do your research.

    If you still can't find it, ask the question.

    If you don't know (if you're not at least 80% positive), don't act as though you do.




    By following the above, before making a post, pretty sure 90% of the "hey dip****" responses would be unnecessary.
    Is it so hard to be the bigger person and just look the other way? The issue is people are so quick to educate others. Who cares!

  15. #15
    Sword of Telara Fasc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avant View Post
    Is it so hard to be the bigger person and just look the other way? The issue is people are so quick to educate others. Who cares!
    Well generally speaking you'd like to have a pretty good helpful community in which you can ask questions, get advice, chat about the game, etc. If we all took the "Who cares, let people do what they want and just leave them be" philosophy well this game would be a helluva lot more boring in all aspects. If the game isn't worth talking about or discussing, it is a very bland game (and overly simple too).

    Plus if you are apathetic towards how the forums you choose to participate in are moderated or self regulated (because make no mistake that's what we do whether we mean to or not by posting and by what we post), then the community will carry on without you and your input. If you don't care either way, cool, that's fine. However, it seems to be pretty consistent that the same folks that get on others for being know-it-alls or jumping to correct people and otherwise being very severe and whiny about us getting in other peoples' business... will be the same ones whining that there are never any good guides online or good threads and how much of a wasteland the <Insert Name Here> boards are.

    Want to get rid of crappy posters? Post in ways that shut that crap down or make it easy for others to pass it by. Want to promote good posters, good ideas, etc? Post there in a similar manner that encourages discussion, minimizes trolling, etc.

    Maturity does not automatically imply apathy, nor should it ever. Maturity is knowing when to post and how to post (in terms of these forums anyway) rather than just kiddos get into discussions/arguments and adults look on while shaking their heads.
    Last edited by Fasc; 04-06-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts