+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger Spec PvE

Shadowlander

Default Ranger Spec PvE

Spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0AM0x0b.VV0V0c

There are some points that can be mushed around, i.e taking points outta trick/imp trick shot, and putting them into 2/3 Imp piercing.

Parse: http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/.../rangerdps.png:704dps

macros:

SS/SF
    #show Splinter Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Splinter Shot
    cast Shadow Fire

PS/QS
    #show Piercing Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Weapon Barrage
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

Rotation:

Start out with Piercing Shot in the beginning to hit 5cp

Splinter->Shadow->Headshot
    PS/QS x5 ->Headshot
    Splinter->PS/QSx2->Head
    PS/QS x5->Headshot

Weave in Conc Blast if there are any adds and you arent aoeing.

Soulwalker

thanks for the great thread, well laid out, got a link to your dps and spec point allocation. even macros!

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Wynta View Post
    Spec: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0AM0x0b.VV0V0c

There are some points that can be mushed around, i.e taking points outta trick/imp trick shot, and putting them into 2/3 Imp piercing.

Parse: http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/.../rangerdps.png:704dps

macros:

SS/SF
    #show Splinter Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Splinter Shot
    cast Shadow Fire

PS/QS
    #show Piercing Shot
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast Weapon Barrage
    cast Piercing Shot
    cast Quick Shot

Rotation:

Start out with Piercing Shot in the beginning to hit 5cp

Splinter->Shadow->Headshot
    PS/QS x5 ->Headshot
    Splinter->PS/QSx2->Head
    PS/QS x5->Headshot

Weave in Conc Blast if there are any adds and you arent aoeing.

It's a well made spec and rotation, the only problem is there are a lot of pet unfriendly fights and without 51 points in Ranger your pet is going to die. Then your going to lose whatever dps you gain by having less points in Ranger and then some more on top of it.

A lot of people are posting that after the first rotation, using anything that isn't instant is a dps loss as well.

Rift Disciple

Piercing shot, Lethal Poison... BD dex buff...

You've optimized a build against a target dummy using your self buffs and even spent talent points poorly (1/2 imp headshot really?).

I parsed my ranged build, which has all pet health buffs to the 'you need 51 ranger!' posters, this gives full benefits of health to pet that a 51 ranger spec would, but you only spend 31 points.

In a raid setting, piercing shot and lethal poisons benefits will both be overwritten by another, and the dex buff as well. Check my ranged spec thread for the 27sabo/31ranger/8nb spec, that pulls 700+dps unbuffed, and with the above buffs will easily pull more than yours.

Soulwalker

~ deleted ~
    Last edited by Injected; 04-05-2011 at 03:46 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Bonshee View Post
    Piercing shot, Lethal Poison... BD dex buff...

You've optimized a build against a target dummy using your self buffs and even spent talent points poorly (1/2 imp headshot really?).

I parsed my ranged build, which has all pet health buffs to the 'you need 51 ranger!' posters, this gives full benefits of health to pet that a 51 ranger spec would, but you only spend 31 points.

In a raid setting, piercing shot and lethal poisons benefits will both be overwritten by another, and the dex buff as well. Check my ranged spec thread for the 27sabo/31ranger/8nb spec, that pulls 700+dps unbuffed, and with the above buffs will easily pull more than yours.
    firstly piercing shot does more damage then quick shot, secondly u dont need to do 2/2 headshot when it doesnt increase damage for putting a second point in and 1 min is more then enough time to refresh, thirdly u dont spec assassin and blade dancer for the raid buffs.

u spec assassin for 5% crit, 4% damage, 10% damage and 20% crit damage plus poisons,

and u spec bd for 5% hit, 50% autoattack, 15% dex and 15 energy on finisher, plus u get an off the global attack with weapon barrage that crits for 500 every 10 sec.

almost forgot about 51 point ranger, only fight i have done so far that would require that is duke and i just pull him off the boss and put him on the shambler.
    Last edited by Wynta; 04-05-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Rift Disciple

firstly piercing shot does more damage then quick shot, secondly u dont need to do 2/2 headshot when it doesnt increase damage for putting a second point in and 1 min is more then enough time to refresh, thirdly u dont spec assassin and blade dancer for the raid buffs.

u spec assassin for 5% crit, 4% damage, 10% damage and 20% crit damage plus poisons,

and u spec bd for 5% hit, 50% autoattack, 15% dex and 15 energy on finisher, plus u get an off the global attack with weapon barrage that crits for 500 every 10 sec.

almost forgot about 51 point ranger, only fight i have done so far that would require that is duke and i just pull him off the boss and put him on the shambler.
    Piercing shot is on a cooldown, applies a debuff that is wasted, and doesn't make the target bleed. You have an ability in ranger tree which gives you a 15% dmg increase when target is bleeding. Hence using quick shot over piercing shot is more beneficial.

I overlooked you're using headshot as the primary finisher, because that's all you have. 1/2 headshot I'm sure will be fine, but you're still using a weak finisher (due to your spec limiting your options).

Assassin tree has some nice bonuses, but you're stuck spending 17 points to accomplish what nightblade essentially does in 12 points.

From your parse, you did 86 dps with autoattack. Without the 50% bonus from blade dancer that would be 57 dps. 5 talent points to gain 29 dps, or, 4% dps increase.

5% hit from blade dancer tree is a waste, unless you intend to never use any other spec than this, you should be going for hit cap with gear/enchants. And if you are hit capped, this is wasted 5% hit. So you're essentially limiting yourself to a single spec.

15 Energy finisher talent is a waste in any raid with a chloro or bard. You will be capped on energy regardless. Again, a wasted talent for anything outside a target dummy.

Weapon barrage did 26 dps on your parse...

So basically you went 18 points into the BD tree to accomplish what the saboteur tree does in 5 points.

Shadowlander

Piercing shot is on a cooldown, applies a debuff that is wasted, and doesn't make the target bleed. You have an ability in ranger tree which gives you a 15% dmg increase when target is bleeding. Hence using quick shot over piercing shot is more beneficial.

I overlooked you're using headshot as the primary finisher, because that's all you have. 1/2 headshot I'm sure will be fine, but you're still using a weak finisher (due to your spec limiting your options).

Assassin tree has some nice bonuses, but you're stuck spending 17 points to accomplish what nightblade essentially does in 12 points.

From your parse, you did 86 dps with autoattack. Without the 50% bonus from blade dancer that would be 57 dps. 5 talent points to gain 29 dps, or, 4% dps increase.

5% hit from blade dancer tree is a waste, unless you intend to never use any other spec than this, you should be going for hit cap with gear/enchants. And if you are hit capped, this is wasted 5% hit. So you're essentially limiting yourself to a single spec.

15 Energy finisher talent is a waste in any raid with a chloro or bard. You will be capped on energy regardless. Again, a wasted talent for anything outside a target dummy.

Weapon barrage did 26 dps on your parse...

So basically you went 18 points into the BD tree to accomplish what the saboteur tree does in 5 points.
    ok lets go again: Quick Shot never falls off i cast piercing on cd because it does 50 more damage then Quick, but the quick shot bleed is always up when piercing is cast.

the 15% damage is for the pet btw

idk if i will admit that headshot is less superior then deadeye, ud have to take into account the the cast time, autoshots (which is 3rd on damage breakdown), and mobility. I no i would like to have rapid fire shot.

I like assassin more then NB because i have 60% crit raid buffed, so i have perma 10% plus the 4% plus that crit, and the 20% crit damage is very nice with such high crit. Poisons too.

I do know that 5% hit is 25 hit rating, but that 5% allows me to sub full hit with hit/crit items. which nets me more crit.

And lastly with Ranger u do hit the energy floor for alot because u have alot of cycles which are all instant followed by an instant finisher, and this will drain ur energy like crazy, with the 15 energy on finishers ur rotation becomes seemless, i think the only delay is less then .5 sec after splinter when ur going into a shadowfire.
    Last edited by Wynta; 04-05-2011 at 10:42 PM.

Rift Disciple

both dps pets in ranger tree put up a bleed on their target, no need (and a waste of dps) to use any bleed abilities yourself.

when will people learn? do you people who come on the forums and talk about rangers even play a ranger? not sure why i'm even asking the question, the answer is obviously not.

ps target dummies don't hit back, 31 points in ranger means you've got no pet for a LOT of fights..
    Every time a saboteur presses detonate, an angel gets its wings.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by crater View Post
    both dps pets in ranger tree put up a bleed on their target, no need (and a waste of dps) to use any bleed abilities yourself.

when will people learn? do you people who come on the forums and talk about rangers even play a ranger? not sure why i'm even asking the question, the answer is obviously not.

ps target dummies don't hit back, 31 points in ranger means you've got no pet for a LOT of fights..
    I wasn't aware the pets bleed is up 100% of the time, I suppose not being able to see the pets attack ticking on a mob or target dummy doesnt help me see that either.

As for the 31 ranger comment, my sabo ranger spec has all the buffs to pet that a 51 ranger pet does for survivability, and he survived just fine in water and life raid rifts last night. Did 1100dps single target and about 1800dps when there were AOE packs.

Rift Disciple

ok lets go again: Quick Shot never falls off i cast piercing on cd because it does 50 more damage then Quick, but the quick shot bleed is always up when piercing is cast.

the 15% damage is for the pet btw

idk if i will admit that headshot is less superior then deadeye, ud have to take into account the the cast time, autoshots (which is 3rd on damage breakdown), and mobility. I no i would like to have rapid fire shot.

I like assassin more then NB because i have 60% crit raid buffed, so i have perma 10% plus the 4% plus that crit, and the 20% crit damage is very nice with such high crit. Poisons too.

I do know that 5% hit is 25 hit rating, but that 5% allows me to sub full hit with hit/crit items. which nets me more crit.

And lastly with Ranger u do hit the energy floor for alot because u have alot of cycles which are all instant followed by an instant finisher, and this will drain ur energy like crazy, with the 15 energy on finishers ur rotation becomes seemless, i think the only delay is less then .5 sec after splinter when ur going into a shadowfire.
    As I said, you're spending quite a bit of points in BD to gain little benefits. Assassin is a very good tree.

Main point is, I have parsed your spec and specs similar extensively, was trying to offer you a better option. I apologize for trying to help you maximize dps, you obviously have a different goal.

Plane Touched

I wasn't aware the pets bleed is up 100% of the time, I suppose not being able to see the pets attack ticking on a mob or target dummy doesnt help me see that either.

As for the 31 ranger comment, my sabo ranger spec has all the buffs to pet that a 51 ranger pet does for survivability, and he survived just fine in water and life raid rifts last night. Did 1100dps single target and about 1800dps when there were AOE packs.
    Except having 4.5k buffed hp on you pet in your spec doesn't cover for the fact that it only has 45% aoe damage reduction vs 95%. 51 ranger pets are still VASTLY more survivable on the majority of fights.

Your build might work for you because you find this reasonable or don't mind extra heals going to pet over raid members. That being said I think there are ways of doing ranged builds without HAVING to go 51 ranger but the more you spend the safer your pet is.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by gulain View Post
    Except having 4.5k buffed hp on you pet in your spec doesn't cover for the fact that it only has 45% aoe damage reduction vs 95%. 51 ranger pets are still VASTLY more survivable on the majority of fights.

Your build might work for you because you find this reasonable or don't mind extra heals going to pet over raid members. That being said I think there are ways of doing ranged builds without HAVING to go 51 ranger but the more you spend the safer your pet is.
    TBH the majority of the time the pet actually dies is due to Cleave and not really anything else. Although I will admit the aoe dmg reduction takes a lil hit, that's why I tested the pet w/ 31 ranger in an AOE heavy raid rift last night and he pulled through just fine with nothing but group heals hitting it. I can assure you, the healers didn't mind healing him unknowingly.

+ Reply to Thread