+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dodge from BEHIND while STUNNED?

Shadowlander

Default Dodge from BEHIND while STUNNED?

I love the class and I'm sure the devs will give us a little love, but what the hell is up with monsters and players dodging FROM BEHIND WHILE STUNNED??? PLEASE tell me this is a bug.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by HatemachineX View Post
    I love the class and I'm sure the devs will give us a little love, but what the hell is up with monsters and players dodging FROM BEHIND WHILE STUNNED??? PLEASE tell me this is a bug.
    The devestating bomb can dodge. You can miss it too.

It's a bomb, doesnt move.

Btw, rift is a game, and unreal elements are sometimes required. Last time a rift opened in my back yard, I was NOT able to solo it.

You deserve to be mad about this.
    Sayaka the Heartless <Vanguard> | Assassin/Ranger/Bard | Guardian of Deepstrike (PvP)

I've opened with my stun and had someone dodge no less than the next 3 attacks from me.

I think they were just shaking their butt in my face cause they knew I was just tickling them.

Yeah stun+dodge does seem a bit silly.
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

Plane Touched

it's no more silly than being able to run though someone.

Telaran

It's no more silly that running around with a big pink fairy holding a giant flower.

Not a bug since it seems completely intended in both PvE and PvP.

Take the basilisk boss in KB that does a semi frequent stun on the Tank. Granted the guy doesn't hit very hard even on Expert but suddenly you are guaranteed to take a chunk of damage that eliminates things like False Blade, all of your Dexterity/Strength, etc.

So either A) they didn't want to bother with balancing around those sorts of guaranteed spikes in both realms or B) they didn't set up anything to code it differently so if you have 20% Dodge you just have 20% Dodge regardless of your present condition (pending modifiers like guaranteed to land skills, Hit, etc)
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

If you attack a stunned target from behind, your attack can missed or be dodged - Which I feel is wrong

If you attack an incapacitated target from in front, your attack can be parried (seriously, why & how ?) miss or dodged.

Backstab should be 100% hit when used from behind, you should not be parried or dodged when attacking from behind a target or if the target is incapacitated. There also needs to be a bigger bonus to positional attacks to help Rogues DPS (providing they earn it by positioning themselves correctly).

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Fiale View Post
    If you attack a stunned target from behind, your attack can missed or be dodged - Which I feel is wrong

If you attack an incapacitated target from in front, your attack can be parried (seriously, why & how ?) miss or dodged.

Backstab should be 100% hit when used from behind, you should not be parried or dodged when attacking from behind a target or if the target is incapacitated. There also needs to be a bigger bonus to positional attacks to help Rogues DPS (providing they earn it by positioning themselves correctly).
    Bingo. Thank you.

Shadowlander

the only issue after that is making it so melee can actually survive anywhere in melee, other then on token bosses : /

360 degree cleaves/spells that hit for 3k when DPS is usually anywhere from 4-6k hp doesnt help

I agree, it's dumb. In NWN1, if you were caught flat-footed, unless you feated to avoid such situations, you would ALWAYS get hit even if the die roll was like 1 or something. It's not even that complex of a ruleset since they abridged quite a bit of the D20 system to make it fit in a real time situation. Maybe Trion needs to buy some intellectual capital from Bioware/EA to get something more reasonable in terms of combat mechanics. *shrugs*

But...! But...! That would mean we'd have to watch our backs in WFs. NERF BACKSTAB NAO!!!ONEONE!!

What should be and shouldn't be really doesn't make a lick of difference, the game is what it is. A large part of the problems in many MMOs with CC and burst is that when combined, your personal defenses drop to nothing while CC'd and then you get heavy burst at the worst opportunity.

Call it skill, OP, good timing of abilities, whatever. When burst setups like this occur (not because you 100-0 in a single 4 sec stun from unavoidable damage, that's a separate issue) regularly or become the norm for some callings vs others that do more of that whittling down and resource game, it can be a tougher issue to keep balanced in PvP.

Stepping back from what we believe should and shouldn't be look at it from a Dev perspective. If you allow Dodges and Parries to persist during CC, then you don't have to worry about some callings having large swings in damage taken (more than naturally occur with CDs and ability use) based on CC. If you're a Dev and you design the Bladedancer tree as it is with a heavy emphasis on Dodge and Parry and you want that sort of play style to work in a lot of PvP scenarios, allowing the bevy of CC to not only stop it entirely but prevent it from happening really can cripple the spec. Unlike a Sin who during the final moments of a fear gets Blinding Powder up off CD to use again, a BD has to get back into attack and any Dodges/Parries he got were wasted while he hopes for more AFTER the CC to toss out a Disengage or ramp up his damage.

It isn't as if CC is useless for landing damage or position doesn't offer advantages, it still does despite Dodge/Miss/Parry being present. But them being in the game is inherently bad design, especially if purpose was put behind it being that way. If a Dev simply screwed up and allowed it, then oh well I guess there goes that and they should fix it. But I don't think it is a mistake or an oversight, not at the moment anyway.
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

+ Reply to Thread