+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bladedancer build for soloing

Rift Disciple

Default Bladedancer build for soloing

This spec is for solo purposes, mob and rift grinding, killin stuff in the general world.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dAuMRRMbz.VG0h

I'm wondering how much of a dps increase/loss Blade and Fury provides, and also how important the hit from Combat Expertise is -- missing stuff is annoying, but my instincts tell me these talents are more important for longer lasting and higher/raid-level PVE encounters (this also seems true for Blade Hustle).

I didn't grab Blade Tempo because Double Coup does the trick just fine without using a talent point (more combo points in solo battle is good anyway). Leftover points went into Counterbalance and Combat Efficiency.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Plane Touched

Yep, this is the bd grind build that's been floating around for quite a while. Couple differences in this and my variation:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dVdsMRMbz.VG0h

-I put two points in Silent Footsteps and picked up permastealth. For instances it's not needed, but for a grind build (on a pvp server no less) the permastealth is practically required. Doing this also allows you to pick up Leeching Poison for a bit more self-healing.

-You don't need points in hit for grinding. Any misses you see will be few and far between unless you are fighting mobs higher than yourself, and if you're running instances, this build does not perform well due to wasted points in riftstalker and on all of the dodge/parry-related attacks in bladedancer. Move the points from hit to Blade and Fury and you'll see a better return.

-I didn't put points into Deadly Dance as juggling the 5 different buff finishers to keep up self-buffs left very few Deadly Strikes left. As my gear has gotten better I've slimmed that down to 2-3 finishers as I kill mobs faster than before and don't need the others as much.

Other than that, it's a great build and I haven't found anything better for quick killing and zero downtime. I can take on entire invasion packs (often 2-3 full invasions at level 45+) and kill them all using a Rift Disturbance/Twin Strike macro and come out of it with full health. And that's not even needing to pop any cooldowns. I hope you enjoy it!
    Last edited by Caelan; 04-05-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Rift Disciple

Thanks, that is some sound advice!

Just curious, why did you feel full points in Combat Efficiency > full points in Combat Culmination? Does that extra 5 energy per 5pt finisher really make a difference over an additional constant 1% crit, hit, dodge, and parry?

Plane Touched

Eh, that's really personal preference, but it looks like I misallocated that point. I do have all three in Combat Culmination in my live build. Mobs just die too fast for the extra energy to make a difference usually.

Rift Chaser

I have found disengage to be awesome in my build . To clarify I also went NB instead of sin so i do not have that stun from sin. I am on a pve sever so I did not worry about perma stealth.

I had sprint I just found I rarely used it and respec out of it but that is my personal choice

This is of course all pve

Rift Disciple

Even though I'm on a pvp shard, I don't use stealth enough when I'm grinding to spend those extra 3 points. If I really need to stealth, I just switch to sin, which takes only a second. So instead for my BD grind build I've maxed out Combat Culmination, taken Disengage, and also Counterbalance. Like you said, it's more up to personal preference for these remaining straggler points. Here's what my final build looks like:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...dVusRRMdz.VG0h

I just have to say, this soul is a lot of fun. I love jumping from rift to rift with this spec.

Soulwalker

@ Paraella: That's the build I am working towards. Can you share your rotation? Any macros?

Thumbs up

I have 2 setups for my BD/Sin/?? build, 1 for soloing, and the other for group DPS. Both work really well and both are good for WF if your into that as well.

Solo: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oRRMbz.0VRcLcb

Group: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oRRMbz.0VRcLcb

Only thing I could ask for is that Blade Tempo, and Dancing Steel be on a 1 min cool down, that alone would boost the DPS for the BD quit a bit.

For my burst DPS I use a triple combo of, Posion Malice, Blade Tempo, Dancing Steel

Rift Disciple

Default rotation and macros

@wiatrog

Single target, charge in with Flash of Steel and spam

#show keen strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast disengage
    cast reprisal
    cast puncture
    cast precision strike
    cast quick strike
    cast keen strike

until full CP and then finish with False Blade. Do the same and finish with Dauntless Strike. After these are up, you can finish with Deadly Strike. If it's an elite or boss mob, pop Double Coup somewhere in there. For two or more mobs, charge in and spam

#show twin strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast rift disturbance
    cast twin strike

finishing with False Blade, Dauntless Strike, and Compound Attacks. If there are a bunch of mobs in a nice little group (like an invasion especially), charge in, Rift Disturbance, and hit this macro twice:

#show dancing steel
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast blade tempo
    cast dancing steel

and sit back and watch them die. If two or more are left standing, spam the Twin Strike macro - if only one is left, switch to the single-target macro.

In lower rift situations where you can handle a bunch of mobs on you, wait for a cluster to spawn, aggro them all with Rift disturbance, and then charge across to another group (doesn't work if they are casters). Once they are all together, pop the Dancing Steel macro for a nice little bloodbath. Pop Sidesteps before this (disabling Blade Tempo) if the mobs are more dangerous.

When in trouble, Shadow Shift away and hit Sprint if it's up (why Counterbalance is nice).

For more control, you can make a separate macro for Disengage and Reprisal like this:

#show disengage
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast disengage
    cast reprisal

but I tend to just keep these on auto-pilot if I'm grinding and the enemies aren't too threatening. Also use Weapon Barrage on casters and Disassemble on melee.

Also the taunt from Riftstalker comes in handy for pulling or getting the mob to attack you to activate your dodge/parry moves.
    Last edited by Paraella; 04-06-2011 at 02:55 PM.

Rift Disciple

It seems I was forgetting about maintaining the other finisher buffs that come from Rifststalker (Annihilate - AP buff) and Assassin (Baneful Touch - poison buff), although I'm not sure if BT is even worth it without speccing into the poison talents (any opinions on this?).

With so many buffs to maintain, you won't be finishing with Deadly Strike all that often actually, especially if the mob you're on is about to die and you want to preserve the CPs for Rift Scav and Combat Culm, which is why putting points into Deadly Dance isn't really worth it (altho tempting) as Caelan pointed about above.

It's also worth noting that the 5% crit from Dauntless Strike does not stack with the Bard motif, so if there's a Bard in your group you can disregard this finisher altogether (I found this out the hard way). If you regularly run with a Bard, this may make Deadly Dance more valuable since you'll have room for a few more Deadly Strikes.

+ Reply to Thread