+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guarded Steel vs Rift Guard vs Rift Barrier

RIFT Guide Writer

Default Guarded Steel vs Rift Guard vs Rift Barrier

This is a spin off of my agro RS thread....

So which of these should have priority?

Guarded Steel?
    40% more armor at our level doesnt do a lot.
    Takes me from 4394 (40.33% physical damage reduction) to 5309 (44.96%)

Shifting gives me the Rift Barrier (15% damage absorption up to 60% health (5414 for me).

That doesnt stack with Rift Guard, but is a nice hold till its ready?

Problem with Rift Guard is that a 1pt one is only 2657hp absorption. A 5 cp one is 13267 absorption.

Of course it is only absorbing 35% right?

So how do you prioritize your RS defenses?

Plane Touched

Shadow Assault --> Guarded Steel. What this does is give you a Rift Barrier from the shift, as well as a 2cp Guarded Steel (24 seconds). This gives you an opening buffer, from which you can then proceed to gather up mobs and build up to a 5cp Rift Guard, then refresh Guarded Steel afterwards.

Remember that Guarded Steel doesn't just add armor--it also adds 40% to your threat generation, which is key for aoe pulls.

Plane Touched

Rift Guard can be applied at range, so, when I pull (as opposed to charge/shift in), I build up 3 combo points (Splinter Shot->Quick Shot), hit Rift Guard, then do the above Shadow Assault -> Guarded Steel.

So, priority should be based on the pull and whether the boss is a caster:

If you can start the fight at range, Rift Guard before engaging in melee, then Guarded Steel.
    Else If (I've been doing a lot of coding lately) the boss is physical damage, then Shift (Rift Barrier) to Guarded Steel ->Rift Guard
    Else If the boss is magic damage, then Rift Guard->Guarded Steel (Armor from GS doesn't help much against casters, but threat increase does.)
    Faeblight - Defiant: Ghaeleah, Eladria, Mala, Danoria, Azshannya
    Estrael - Guardian: Reah, Shilania, Kethrah, Tulania, Azshannya

Koe

Priority is Rift Guard.

Always.

ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by KahnyaGnorc View Post
    Rift Guard can be applied at range, so, when I pull (as opposed to charge/shift in), I build up 3 combo points (Splinter Shot->Quick Shot), hit Rift Guard, then do the above Shadow Assault -> Guarded Steel.

So, priority should be based on the pull and whether the boss is a caster:

If you can start the fight at range, Rift Guard before engaging in melee, then Guarded Steel.
    Else If (I've been doing a lot of coding lately) the boss is physical damage, then Shift (Rift Barrier) to Guarded Steel ->Rift Guard
    Else If the boss is magic damage, then Rift Guard->Guarded Steel (Armor from GS doesn't help much against casters, but threat increase does.)
    This.

GS and RG have very closely tied priorities since if you can't hold Threat, you aren't Tanking, but if you go splat in 2 hits, you aren't much of a Tank either (exaggerations but point stands).

Since you can ranged activate RG (a LOVELY feature when paired with ranged soul skills) often you can get it up quickly on the run in or pull from ranged. Most Bosses can actually be positioned where you stand if you start from the right spot, even on more narrow platforms and areas, but even if that's not possible, running in with Quick Shot and Planar Switch can net you a decent RG before the fight really begins.
    General Tank Theorycrafting: Have numbers? Post them up!
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...eturns-and-You!

Ascendant

RG gives by far the most mitigation, and it's a hell of a lot more than 13k HP. My 5 point RG absorbs ~25k HP, which means you have to take (post-shield), ~47,000 damage to break it.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

+ Reply to Thread