+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why are Riftstalkers the exception?

Default Why are Riftstalkers the exception?

I do not actually tank as a Riftstalker, but I am curious about a design decision related to them. Specifically, I am wondering why Riftstalkers needed to have an entire set of loot designed specifically for them.

I mention "exception" in the title because melee Cleric souls receive a workaround to what would have been a similar issue: their caster stats get converted into melee stats. This makes it unnecessary to design a set of gear specifically for melee Cleric souls.

It seems logical to me that a similar solution could be applied to Riftstalkers, converting melee stats into tanking stats. The simplest way to do this would be through Guardian Phase (and Improved Guardian Phase).

Obviously a change of this degree would require some careful tweaking of things like the threat generation bonus and the damage penalty. But, to me, doing a bit of number work and cleaning up the loot tables seems like a worthwhile design decision for the long run of the game. As a bonus, Riftstalkers get to actually get a little more excited about loot drops.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, as I was unable to find a similar thread nearby.

Rift Disciple

I like my gear.

I'm more curious as to why even with 51 points in the RS tree I'm squishy without my finishers up, where as all other tanks are durable just by standing there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadzio View Post
    mages are supposed to just stand still thus ground of strength

l2p scrub
    I found Gersh's Smurf account!
    (I wish this dude was being sarcastic)
    Having problems with PVP as a Rogue @ 50? Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfhunter View Post
    I do not actually tank as a Riftstalker, but I am curious about a design decision related to them. Specifically, I am wondering why Riftstalkers needed to have an entire set of loot designed specifically for them.

I mention "exception" in the title because melee Cleric souls receive a workaround to what would have been a similar issue: their caster stats get converted into melee stats. This makes it unnecessary to design a set of gear specifically for melee Cleric souls.

It seems logical to me that a similar solution could be applied to Riftstalkers, converting melee stats into tanking stats. The simplest way to do this would be through Guardian Phase (and Improved Guardian Phase).

Obviously a change of this degree would require some careful tweaking of things like the threat generation bonus and the damage penalty. But, to me, doing a bit of number work and cleaning up the loot tables seems like a worthwhile design decision for the long run of the game. As a bonus, Riftstalkers get to actually get a little more excited about loot drops.

I apologize if this has been discussed before, as I was unable to find a similar thread nearby.
    go to the plaque gear vendors

warriors get 2 sets, tank and dps

mages get 2 sets, dps and heals

rogues get 2 sets, tank and dps

clerics get 3 sets, tank dps and healer, and yes the dps set is for both melee and ranged!!!

clerics get 2 melee dps souls, 1 tank soul (like rogue) and many other souls... why would rogue be any different than them or warriors? you have fuzzy logic, or maybe im missing the intent here. the last thing you want is tank rogues rolling on dps rogue armor when in a dungeon... it's much better for everyone for them to have different sets of gear.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Khroul View Post
    I'm more curious as to why even with 51 points in the RS tree I'm squishy without my finishers up, where as all other tanks are durable just by standing there.
    Why are other tanks so squishy once our buffs are rolling? I find no issues getting buffs up before they're needed.

And yes, I've tanked all current content, including GSB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxauin View Post
    Why are other tanks so squishy once our buffs are rolling? I find no issues getting buffs up before they're needed.

And yes, I've tanked all current content, including GSB.
    They're doing something wrong? Tanking in DPS gear? They get hit less often?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadzio View Post
    mages are supposed to just stand still thus ground of strength

l2p scrub
    I found Gersh's Smurf account!
    (I wish this dude was being sarcastic)
    Having problems with PVP as a Rogue @ 50? Click Here

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post

clerics get 3 sets, tank dps and healer, and yes the dps set is for both melee and ranged!!!

clerics get 2 melee dps souls, 1 tank soul (like rogue) and many other souls... why would rogue be any different than them or warriors? you have fuzzy logic, or maybe im missing the intent here. the last thing you want is tank rogues rolling on dps rogue armor when in a dungeon... it's much better for everyone for them to have different sets of gear.
    Wait why would mage need different set for healing vs DPS. DPS as mage = healing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post

Good point(s). I had not considered it from this point of view. Though I cannot honestly say I am a particularly big fan of gear that just supports one Soul, which apparently includes Justicars and Riftstalkers.

On one hand, their gear can drop at a similar frequency to everyone else's gear, which leads to disappointment when neither of them is present. Or it can just come from Plaques, which is not really the point of Plaques (at least not as I see it). Plaques seem like they should be utilized to supplement a lack of loot drops, not supply all of your loot.

But, with your argument considered, I am not really sure if there is anything that can be or should be done. Plus, it doesn't seem like the two actual Riftstalker tanks in this thread have a real problem with it, so maybe it is not a real issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Timploee View Post
    Wait why would mage need different set for healing vs DPS. DPS as mage = healing.
    I'm not positive here, but I am going to guess that a healing set exists for Wisdom. Just a guess, though.
    Last edited by Wulfhunter; 04-05-2011 at 11:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread