+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tips for Rogue (PvP)

Soulwalker

Default Tips for Rogue (PvP)

Hello everyone, I'm having some trouble in Rift and would be grateful if anyone could offer some genuine advice on how I can improve my gameplay. In Warfronts and world PvP I just don't seem to be doing any respectable damage to the opposition. I've got decent strategy on my side, but I think this game comes down to stats and builds, which is where I think I'm falling over.

My character level is 41 and I've personally made the rogue trainer in Sanctum the richest person in the universe through the number of respecs, none of which seems to be working for me in PvP. As far as I can tell, I've tried pretty much every build under the Sun.

I currently have three roles and was hoping for one melee, one ranged and bard to heal (which seems obligatory). At the moment, all of my equipment is green and doesn't match character level, so I think this could be one of the reasons behind my misfortunes. I seem to be able to chuck out damage, but it's either negated or easily healed.

All of the souls have their appeals and at the end of the day I just want to enjoy the game, so I look forward to anything positive to help me improve. I'm also a big fan of doing the lesser played classes, I would prefer not to have to rely upon flavour of the month.

Thank you all in advance, I look forward to your responses.

Soulwalker

It really comes down to your play style that will decide what souls to combine. Myself I have been finding Nightblade as my primary and riftstalker as my secondary works great for me. I go with the Nightblade myself due to the ranged attacks and melee attacks.

Combining it with the riftstalker gives you mobility of staying on your target if you so choose to fight in close and if you put enough points in it gives you temporary shields that help you survive in warfronts.

For my third soul I usually use the Infiltrator but since I have no points in the third soul I can change it to any other soul I wish sab for slow, bladedancer for a dodge skill etc..

This is the build I use mainly in warfronts fraid its a 50 build, so be a while before you can use it :P

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...tRGqgRss.VcL0h

I just quickly made up this build to fit your level if you find you need more jumps with riftstalker or want to heal when you kill a mob put some points into Rift Scavenger and Shadow Assault.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0Mipb.VhtRMoroo.VcL0h

Hope this helps a bit.

Well.

There are many types of PVP builds, for many different situations.

Bladedancer/Sin builds are great for taking down other rogues / Warriors between Disarm/Sidesteps.

Other than that, the best build I've found for PVP sofar has been 32NB/26RS/8BD. You could change out the 8 in BD, put those in NB, and grab the Inf tree for break Free, but I like Sidesteps/Twilight Shelter combo.

26 points in Riftstalker nets you Stalker Phase, and 5 different Teleports (Shadow Shift, Shadow Warp, Shadow Blitz, Shadow Assault, Shadow Stalk) All easily macroable. I made two Macros, one for Shadow Shift/Warp and one for Shadow Assault/Blitz/Warp in that order. Having Warp as the last in the macro is good, since you can use it as a stun break, and if you're stunned you can't use the first two teleports, but if your not stunned, you can teleport twice with that macro before using your stun break.

The NB tree is really the only decent rogue tree for PVP against casters. Anyone who says otherwise is pretty much lying. The Interrupt/stuns you get out of the BD/Sin trees just aren't enough.

It's Ironic that the soul that can best use stealth (to sneak behind enemy lines, flank an enemy and actually drop a caster), has crap stealth. And the class that deals better with melee types, who you should be defending your team from, gets the good stealth. Conveniently enough it works well for hiding, which Sins need to do.

Hope that helps. If not, Check my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadzio View Post
    mages are supposed to just stand still thus ground of strength

l2p scrub
    I found Gersh's Smurf account!
    (I wish this dude was being sarcastic)
    Having problems with PVP as a Rogue @ 50? Click Here

Soulwalker

Razan posted the exact build i use as well at lvl 50 pvp. I have trained up in everything also, and you get the best bang for your points as a nightblade. The most powerful things are the 3 abilities that negate damage. With the massive influx of mages in the warfronts, its almost impossible to stay in the fight for more then a couple seconds without them. You could have 8k hitppoints and 50% armor, wont make a difference.

Range rogues will loose most ranged fights against mages and clerics, unless your really good and they are really bad, and if any melee tanks/rogues close the distane on you, your done. Bladedancer and assassin get absolutely owned unless your just running around the outside of the big fights looking for a straggler to pick off. I used to run a bladedancer/riftstalker build but honestly the DPS i was loosing wasnt making up for the defense i was getting. And again, that defense became worthless once WF's became a mage battle.

As far as a bard build, bards are extremely weak for WF pvp. sure they have a few buffs they can throw out, but tbh the 5 GCD they have to spend every 30 seconds to keep those buffs going i would rather have An Archon/cloro that can heal for 4x the amount a bard can, and has buffs that are very comparable. Plus the fact archon buffs last 5 minutes, not 30 seconds. Bard needs alot of help in 1.2.

Dont mean to be all negative, i love the rogue and will keep playing it, but tbh right now in pvp unless your rolling with a premade that has healers that know how to heal, your not going to be any real help in a WF with any build other then NB/RF/inf.

Soulwalker

Thank you all for your contributions.

The best advice.

Reroll Pyro.
    A PRO QUOTE BELOW:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigas View Post
    You seem to be happy with Eradicate. I'm glad. The longer it stays in, the better. It's a non-threat spec. You're there to Purge things. I can avoid that by either making sure you're focused first, to which you have no answer, or I can go Pyro or SC and let you Eradicate all day.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by xaed View Post
    The best advice.

Reroll Pyro.
    Nah Pyro's have their necks already shaved and cleaned ready for chopping block. IMO Roll a Inq/Warden hrbrid spec. Insane DoT dmg with alot of healing. And good nuke.

Quote Originally Posted by Timploee View Post
    Nah Pyro's have their necks already shaved and cleaned ready for chopping block. IMO Roll a Inq/Warden hrbrid spec. Insane DoT dmg with alot of healing. And good nuke.
    Or you can go Cabalist/Inquisitor. It's a bit harder to play early on, but at later levels it's a fun build both in PVP and PVE (especially PVE, imo).
    Last edited by xarael; 04-05-2011 at 12:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread