+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you hold agro and overcome fight start issues as a RS Tank?

RIFT Guide Writer

Default How do you hold agro and overcome fight start issues as a RS Tank?

For the time being I have unloaded my RS Tank spec.

The problem I have with RS tank is going into the fight, you are missing a majority of your defense if you are just starting or if there was a pause between fights, and you have trouble grabbing all agro if you want to get your defense up.

(Single target agro is never a concern it feels like)

For a RS Tank (assuming level 51) you are missing:
    30% Armor from Guarded Steel finisher,
    + 10% armor bonus from items from Guarded Steel,
    + 40% threat generation from Guarded Steel

35% Damage Reduction shield from Rift Guard. (15% normal + 20% from 51pts in RS)
    + the 250% total hp absorption.

So I need CP, at least 1, to get Guarded Steel up, and need 5 CP to get Rift Guard up at max capacity.

Now I also need to be grabbing agro. We do CRAP DPS, which is ok, save that we cant count on DPS for agro generation, so we have the following for agro control:

Every 60 seconds, Planar Attraction grabs 5 and stacks them neatly and forces them to attack you. Great ability if up, but no CP generation.

Once every 45 sec, Shadow Blitz will tick off up to 10 opponents, asssuming they are all close together. Awards 1 CP

Once every 8 seconds, Instigate will force one critter to attack you for 3 seconds. No CP

Once every 8 seconds Rift Disturbance will tick off up to 10 opponents, No CP

Unlimited, Planar Strike ticks off one opponent, 1 CP
    Unlimited, Phantom Blow ticks off one opponent, 1 CP

So how do you start your fights, say like in FC, where you can take a lot of damage up front?

If you Blitz in, thats 1 CP and agro, plus rift shield (15% damage red for 15 sec). then 1 CP guarded steel (12 sec duration?), then 1 Phantom blow, then 1 cp rift Guard?

What is your normal start sequence?

Also, does anyone actually use Planar Switch?
    Last edited by Archaegeo; 04-05-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Soulwalker

I personally do not like planar switch. kinda useless imo. I like to blitz in (with 51 pt rs u get it down to 30sec cds) since u cant stack the 2 shield bubbles, just use the skillthat stacks 2% DR and use the shield finisher asap. use aoe in between there. ull take dmg but ur dodge/parry will be relied on along with heals. having the buble essence on chance of being hit a long with another bubble one just lower lvl (so u can have 2) threat generation really helps if u have the trinket that gives ur chance of hits to increase threat greatly. without that trinkit though idk what to do lol

Rift Chaser

Find a healer that know how to heal and you will have no issues on pull again, sure you take alot of damage but you have hots/bubbles on you and smart healer will pre-heal you before you even pull, so large heal can land <1-2 sec after pull.
    Last edited by Deathfairy; 04-05-2011 at 11:17 AM.

I usually pull with splinter shot for 2 combo points and get rift guard up before phasing in and getting a 1 point guarded steel up.

Both of these seem to last long enough to build up some agro.
    BeardAxe | Eth | Riftstalker

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by HoboAnarki View Post
    I usually pull with splinter shot for 2 combo points and get rift guard up before phasing in and getting a 1 point guarded steel up.

Both of these seem to last long enough to build up some agro.
    I do the same thing with cadence. (Since I'm rift/bard/blade)

Get steel up first, you can always planar shift again to refresh your absorb if you are struggling to get your phantom blows n guarded steels up.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Deathfairy View Post
    Find a healer that know how to heal and you will have no issues on pull again, sure you take alot of damage but you have hots/bubbles on you and smart healer will pre-heal you before you even pull, so large heal can land <1-2 sec after pull.
    51pt abilities should be used on the pull, what my clerics do when im forced to do a bad pull (you cant blittz into them all)
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Hokonoso View Post
    51pt abilities should be used on the pull, what my clerics do when im forced to do a bad pull (you cant blittz into them all)
    I beg to differ, worst case you shoot/taunt then blitz once they in better position.

Shadowlander

Default 4 pts in MM

I start a fight with empowering shot - 2 cp, follow (seems simultaneous) by a swift shot 1cp - so 3 cp before mob turns to me, follow with swift shot until at melee - always reaches me with 5 cp. If it reaches 5 cp before it gets to me I hit Shadow blitz.

Plane Touched

Blitz -> Rift Disturbance -> Phantom X 3 -> Planar -> Planar -> Guarded Steel -> Rift Disturbance

For bosses / big pulls, I pop Planar Refuge before I Blitz in.

I've tanked all normal instances in the game AoE style. Experts.. After CC, Cadence pull -> Phantom X 2 -> Guarded Steel

RIFT Guide Writer

Yyriri,

No rift shield other than the one from porting? Seems you give up 35% damage reduction by skipping that.

I can see a quick Guarded Steel so you get the taunt buff going, but then i really think you need to get Rift Barrier up asap?

Soulwalker

i try to start each pull with either Sidesteps or Planar Refuge to give me some leeway to get buffs up, then Blitz, Rift Disturbance, Phantom Blowx3, Planar Strike, Steel, Shadow Assualt, repeat CP builders, Guard

Also use Cadence pull to build points, then same as above.
    Last edited by matica; 04-05-2011 at 09:12 PM.

Shadowlander

shadow blitz -> guarded steel (12s is enough) -> 3x phantom 2x planar -> rift guard -> 5 points guarded steel -> 5 points false blade

works fine.
    Long time ago, on Daoc Caerleon cluster
    Sharteel, Hero <Legionaries>
    Zandes, Druid <Legionaries>
    Ybelid, Eldritch <Legionaries>

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by SharTeel View Post
    shadow blitz -> guarded steel (12s is enough) -> 3x phantom 2x planar -> rift guard -> 5 points guarded steel -> 5 points false blade

works fine.
    could be kinda sketchy........ you really wanna get rift guard up way way quicker in my opinion... way way way quicker... even if you can only spare one point.....
    Every time a saboteur presses detonate, an angel gets its wings.

Telaran

I Blitz in then hit Rift Disturbance. After that I'll hit 3 Phantom Blow, a twin strike and then False Blade. After that its twin strike spam to Guarded Steel. Then more of the same untill Rift Guard.

If it's a pull where things hit hard, might want to use Planar Refuge or Side Steps beforehand.

I personally prefer dodge boosting abilities over flat damage reductions as it increases threat generation through Strike Back. If there are a lot of mobs there are Ill take False blade over Guarded Steel. but one or two mobs and Guarded Steel is better.

I use an avoidance build (24BD/33RS/9Bard) mostly, so you may not have the same stuff available.

I'm not a great tank but that's how I prefer to do it.

I use 51 RS / 7 RNG / 8 BD.

I skip Bard, because it sucks (for trash and physical hitting Bosses).

Pulling:
    Splinter Shot - Quick Shot - Shadow Blitz (hits 0,3-0,4sec after the first arrow, so no prob) - Phantom Blow - Riftguard
    And now i'm already sitting on a healthy 47% overall damage reduction + armor + dodge/Parry + ~8%magical reduction.

I can't understand how people don't use this more often, propably only looking for more Hp and going for Bard.... however crappy it may be.
    Last edited by Coffande; 04-06-2011 at 12:02 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast